96' 383 build

SWAPPING IN A 305, 350 OR ANY OTHER SMALL BLOCK, POST THEM HERE.

Topic author
phatmaxx87
I finally get the smurf thing

96' 383 build

Post by phatmaxx87 »

Hi, I haven't talked much recently due to the fact that I just dont have much time to surf the web right now. Anyways, I will start this topic on my V8 swap due to the fact that I am getting close. It will be a 99' chevy SB 350 bored and stroked to 383 and it will keep the stock fuel injection. I will discuss the upgrades as I go. Here are some pictures.

The block after the machine work. Nothing to special, 030 over and magnafluxed. line bore checked.

These pictures show were the block needs clearanced for the rod bolts due to the added stroke. They barely cleared without grinding, but I needed to give it at lease 050" clearance due to expanding qualities of the engine components.

Eagle crank installed

Here are the pistons and rods togeather. Speed pro 9.7:1 compression pistons, 5.7" Eagle rods with ARP new bolt design for extra clearance for the cam.

Here the slugs are in the block and installed after plastigaging the crank and rods.
96' Chevy Astro Cargo. Custom paint. 5.7 Vortec motor stroked out to a 383ci. 17" wheels Dad stripped it.

Topic author
phatmaxx87

Re: 96' 383 build

Post by phatmaxx87 »

Here is the oil deflector pan(which also had to be claranced to clear the back four rods) and the oil pump.

I forgot to take pictures of the GM performance Camshaft installed and double roller timing set installed. Use you imagination, hehe. :twisted:

The pan goes on after putting on the rear main seal and front cover.

The freshly machined heads are on and the lifters are cleaned, lubed and installed.

-Vance
96' Chevy Astro Cargo. Custom paint. 5.7 Vortec motor stroked out to a 383ci. 17" wheels Dad stripped it.

Topic author
phatmaxx87

Post by phatmaxx87 »

Here is the lower intake manifold before and after.

Lower intake manifold, pushrods and rockers installed and preloaded.

Here is the MFI spider injector from Napa.

upper intake manifold, valve covers, throttle body and oil primer tool to properly prime the passenger side lifters.

Well this is it for now. I am on my way to get the tranny and programer. I will be going to the junk yard to get a computer and some connectors. Need to get it painted and then it is ready to go in. Plan on having it done by the middle of September. Can only build it as fast as money comes in. Worked 70 hours this week to get some green rolling in. Hope you all like the pictures.

-Vance

Topic author
phatmaxx87

Post by phatmaxx87 »

Well tonight I wrapped up what appears to be the actual mechanical work to the engine. I got the intake off and replaced the lifters with new Crane lifters and I also replaced the rocker nuts with ARP poly lock nuts. All oil issues are now gone and all the rockers get the same exact amount of oil. They also all stay pumped up. Danny sand blasted the intake, TB, EGR valve and the thermostate housing while I installed the lifters. Here are some pictures.

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Great build and thanks for the pics. Still want to build a stroker some day. Keep the pics coming. We're all watching.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

GnarliSafari
I sleep in my van

Post by GnarliSafari »

i like danny's custom respirator! nice build overview so far though!
99 SLT Safari AWD, G80/GT4 rear, Burgundy, 196,000 and counting (strictly AMSOIL) flowmaster 40series muffler no more cat, K&N Kone Filter, roll pan, 255/60/15 rubbers mounted to 15x8.5 inch American Racing Tailgunner wheels, billet grille, CB Radio, Alpine Deck, Shag carpet, the list goes on....
03 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, LB7 Duramax Diesel, 5 speed Allison Tranny, Crew Cab Long Bed, no muffler or cat, 4 inch turbo back and side piped. not too many other mods yet, also addicted to AMSOIL.

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

Very nice! But did I miss a segment? You went from showing the engine buttoned up to mentioning that you resolved "oil issues". What did you do, run it on the engine stand?
And which Danny are you referring to?
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

nitropyro

Post by nitropyro »

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :muhaha: that is not me i swear!!!!!!!! man i forgot all about that!
Danny
Danny im 21 year old with an 89 astro bbc 9in bagged 20's & 18's

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

Great pics Vance nicely detailed and much appreciated, both you and Danny have done some really nice work on your vans. :supz:

astronut74
I sleep in my van

Post by astronut74 »

What can I say? I love engine buildup pics! Looking good! Nice and detailed. Keep it up, we're all watching...
Steve O

94 2WD Astro EXT
179,000 miles and counting
Going from an 8 seater to a 4 seater

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

Looks great so far!
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

I agree with the rest--I also love seeing engine build photos.
Keep 'em coming, Vance.
Peter is right, did we miss something concerning an engine oiling issue?
Rob Shaver
1989 Astro 305 with an MSD 6A ignition and a dash-mounted MSD timing control, a 4160 Holley 465 cfm four barrel carb, and an HEI distributor.
Moog 625 front springs and Energy Suspension poly bushings. Rear OEM sway bar. Edelbrock shocks.

89AstroDan
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by 89AstroDan »

Does your wife paint her own toe nails or does she have them done professionally? OH, and great pics of the big metal thing.
89 Astro Shorty
3.73 G80

ScottS

Post by ScottS »

Those are his wifes toes ? Don't we all torque heads in our PJ's ?

Keep the pics coming, it motivates us slackers :poke:
1998 Safari AWD NE OHIO
1995 Safari AWD

Rileysowner
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by Rileysowner »

Very nice. It encourages me to gain the know how to do this in the future. Right now not a chance unless I find someone else who has the know how who wants to teach me. Then again, right now I don't have the money for it anyway.
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/