RE-SEALING THE FIRWALL???

ANYTHING FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT TO REPLACING A DASH PANEL

Topic author
s10-den
I finally get the smurf thing

RE-SEALING THE FIRWALL???

Post by s10-den »

I know I'm getting to many things going on my van at once, but has anyone ever re-sealed the wiper/cowl/firewall area?I suppose that would be the only pace that would be causing mine to leak.We have had stupid amounts of rain here lately, and sure enuff, both sides are leaking, no doubt about that.How in heck would you even reseal the thing like the factory did?I suppose they sealed it befor the welded in all together?Its the little small stuff that gets my blood pumping,lol and my van has "alot" od small stuff that is starting to add up to alot..
94 Astro cargo EXT----Bought specifically to mod!!Will be tbi 350 v8 and new front end conversion
Done so many v8 s10's their old news

d3athm3talh3ad

Re: RE-SEALING THE FIRWALL???

Post by d3athm3talh3ad »

check for skips/rips in the seam sealer on the cowl panels, they usually spot weld panels together then brush on seam sealer and paint over it...sometimes they don't get a decent amount of sealer on the seam and over time the sealer either splits or crumbles apart...you can get seam sealer from any good body shop or eastwood...also look for rust and leaks around the windshield which can make it look like the cowl or firewall leaking...

Topic author
s10-den

Post by s10-den »

Well, I stuck a hose down in the wiper cowl, so I know its not leaking from the windsheild.The drivers side is coming in somewhere from the bottom area the passenger side is seaping in behind the ac vent door box.
94 Astro cargo EXT----Bought specifically to mod!!Will be tbi 350 v8 and new front end conversion

GEJ
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by GEJ »

s10-den wrote:Well, I stuck a hose down in the wiper cowl, so I know its not leaking from the windsheild.The drivers side is coming in somewhere from the bottom area the passenger side is seaping in behind the ac vent door box.

Humm-there is a boot for the engine wiring harness to go thru in that general area.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

This will probably sound like a lot of work, but I think there is a plenum behind each fender. If you removed the fenders and cut an access panel in that plenum you could reseal the inside of them. Somewhere inside there is a place for water to enter the cabin. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Topic author
s10-den

Post by s10-den »

Yep, thats exactly what I thought about doing, is cutting out an access hole to see whats going on behind there.About the only way as far as I know.?
I seen the water channel when I was doing a "test" dis-assemble,kinda looked like a cheesy way of doing it, but the factory is the blame on that one..lol
From what I can tell, the water sometimes just overwelms the water channel and just goes everywhere. I just cant see exactly where its coming from without cutting an access hole....