4x4 pics, and expedition vehicals

Topic author
BULLDOZER
I am merely driving my van

4x4 pics, and expedition vehicals

Post by BULLDOZER »

I would like to see some pics of astro 4x4's.

I myself am looking for some pictures of an astro that was in the four wheeler top truck challenge a few years ago. I don't know much about it besides it was white, flexed a lot, and the guy was from Canada.

It appears that a lot of people are getting into this expedition thing from what I read on pirate 4x4, I think an astro would make an excellent vehical for this... lot of room for stuff. My take on an expedition vehical is it is a vehical that is street legal, but can go just about anywhere offroad (minus the hardcore stuff), is fully self supported (on board air,welder, tools, fuel,water, food, camping stuff,can sleep in it (a lot of these vehicals have pop up tents on top of them),etc. Any ideas? anyone seen an astro set up for this?

Thanks
BIG PLANS... little money

GEJ
I plan to be buried in my van

Re: 4x4 pics, and expedition vehicals

Post by GEJ »

BULLDOZER wrote:I would like to see some pics of astro 4x4's.

I myself am looking for some pictures of an astro that was in the four wheeler top truck challenge a few years ago. I don't know much about it besides it was white, flexed a lot, and the guy was from Canada.

It appears that a lot of people are getting into this expedition thing from what I read on pirate 4x4, I think an astro would make an excellent vehical for this... lot of room for stuff. My take on an expedition vehical is it is a vehical that is street legal, but can go just about anywhere offroad (minus the hardcore stuff), is fully self supported (on board air,welder, tools, fuel,water, food, camping stuff,can sleep in it (a lot of these vehicals have pop up tents on top of them),etc. Any ideas? anyone seen an astro set up for this?

Thanks
Try:
http://www.Expeditionportal.com

Lots of hard core stuff there.T-low is there too from time to time.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

dunedog
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by dunedog »

You mean like T Low's rig or "The SPB" ?? :-k

If you haven't seen at least these two examples here on the site,you haven't been lookin' :poke:
1999 LS AWD 3" Lift,4.10's,Snowplow,9500lb Ramsey winch

GEJ

Post by GEJ »

Nope-Dunedog I mean T-Low peeps there from time to time.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

dunedog
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by dunedog »

Gary, the message was for Bulldozer..... :whistle:
1999 LS AWD 3" Lift,4.10's,Snowplow,9500lb Ramsey winch

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Jim, BULLDOZER showed up after I sold the SPB...

BULLDOZER...I built the Sweet Pickle Bus and it turned into basically what you are describing minus the pop-top. For all the info go to the main page and look at the past VOM's. The SPB has on-board air, full hydraulic system for running the snow plow and milemarker winch and I had built a bracket for an on-board welder but there wasn't quite enough room next to the hydroboost system.

For almost the exact vehicle you are asking about...see TLow's AWESOME pop-top 4x4 Astro.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
BULLDOZER

Post by BULLDOZER »

Thanks, yeah I guess I should of searched a little #-o .
BIG PLANS... little money

T.Low

Post by T.Low »

Bulldozer obviously wants an SPB with a pop top and I think its about time the world has one. One of the great expedition assets of the SPB is the all encompassing knowledge and understanding of the vehicle that Dean possesses. For a true expedition requiring self support, that is essential.

As a lite wheeler, camper, shuttle rig, my Astro is surpassing the expectations I originally had for it. While I would really like to, I'm not building it with the expectation that I'm driving to Cape Horn or flying it to Morocco and heading south toward Capetown. But its been great for the 7 or 8 backroad and off road camping trips I've had it on so far since Easter.
Pop top 062 600.jpg
Pop top 080 500.jpg
astrocreek1.jpg

a few more: http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showt ... 756&page=7
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

gabequest
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by gabequest »

I absolutely, totally, undoubtedly have to have one of those pop ups!!! How much did that run ya if you dont mind me asking!!
2004 Astro AWD
4inch Overland lift, 265/70/16, Poptop Colorado CamperVan, 11inch Roof Fan, Custom Bumper...more to come on the interior

T.Low

Post by T.Low »

gabequest wrote:I absolutely, totally, undoubtedly have to have one of those pop ups!!! How much did that run ya if you dont mind me asking!!
I've already put it out of my mind.

Here's a link to the thread that I probably won't ever look at again.:whistle:

Seriously though, I think the top came to $6kplus, not including paint, sleeper bunk, prewired for solar, reinstall my factory rack (and modify) and my old aftermarket awning on the new top. (I hope you didn't hurt yourself spitting your drink up like that :yikes: ) If you are closer to Quebec than Vancouver, you may be able to check with Safari Condo, but they may have quit doing Astro installs (they told me last year that if I wanted to have mine done in August of '07 that I'd probably be their last Astro).

Taking it to Winthrop this weekend. :muhaha:

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3091
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by MountainManJoe »

I've been contemplating some bush bumpers for some time now, and when I saw yours, gabequest, I thought, hey this guy's got the right idea! It's got the look I want and protects all the right areas. I'm going to show the pictures to a local metalwork shop to see how much they'd ask to make something like that. If it's out of my range, I might attempt it myself with my amateur welding skills. Your sig would indicate you had it done for you, but if you have any additional info it would be much appreciated! Drawings, dimensions, material, detailed photos, etc...
What is this RocWorks company anyways I couldn't find it online? Can I ask how much it set you back?

gabequest
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by gabequest »

Sorry for the delay...

Craig at Rockworks did my bumpers. He's in Montrose, CO. The phone is 9702409955. I dont have dimensions, but I'll try to add a few pics. These are badass bumpers! The rear cost $600, the front $725. I guess ya gotta pay out the ass if ya cant do it yourself. I've tested em' a bit but no hard knocks yet. The clearance rules though!

It took a bit of shoving to get the full size spare in there, and its rests on the Helwig rear sway bar, but no problems with it.

I've got some good photos, but the board attachment quota is full. If anyone wants to see pics, email me at gabequest@hotmail.com. I'll send em'. As of now, I dont have a web site or blog setup, so this is the best way.
2004 Astro AWD
4inch Overland lift, 265/70/16, Poptop Colorado CamperVan, 11inch Roof Fan, Custom Bumper...more to come on the interior