Factory fuel pump or generic external pump replacement???

Topic author
Spike99
I finally get the smurf thing

Factory fuel pump or generic external pump replacement???

Post by Spike99 »

Within the Tips & Tricks thread, it was suggest that an Astro/Safari van owner should "proactively" replace their van's fuel pump at 100K miles. As implied, better to do it in one's dry / heated garage instead of needing a tow and hiring an expensive shop to do the work. If possible, replace the fuel pump at 100K miles and "be good" for another 100K miles.

Knowning that "factory" fuel pumps blow at more then 100K miles (on average), should one replace their van's existing fuel pump with another GM factory fuel pump, with an 3rd party "in tank" fuel pump replacement, or go with an external (aka: inline) electronic fuel pump replacement instead? For different designs of fuel pumps for my 2001 AWD Safari van, surf:

http://shop.autopartsfair.com/store/?N= ... &md=Safari

Thanks for your fuel pump replacment recommendation.

Last edited by Spike99 on Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Re: Factory fuel pump or generic external pump replacement???

Post by ihatemybike »

If it's your daily driver, then definitely get the ACDelco. I've installed them in my past three daily drivers. Each time was pump failure and tow home, thank you AAA. I've never had to replace them more than once.

If it's more of a toy and you need to be cheap, I'd get a rebuild kit off eBay. Grumpy is running thanks to a $30 kit from Global Auto.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

It's an expensive part for your year model, even a third party manufacturer like Airtex. It's a PITA to replace. It's really really expensive if you have a mechanic do it. If I recall correctly, SoCalli's recommendation is always to go with an OEM pump. I have yet to follow his advice, foolishly perhaps as I'm on my second pump since the original gave out. the third party parts are a bit of a crap shoot. Might last forever or less than a year. Even if you get it replaced on warranty, you still have to drop the tank again. If doing something like replacing a pump is one of those things you would just take in stride, then go budget. If it's one of those thing you think you might never want to have to do again, go OEM.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

ONLY, Fit an AC Delco pump.... Anything else 'is' inferior and can leave you stranded at any time.... with a huge tow charge to get home, it`s just not worth it.

Take my advice or not.... But as an auto-technician, I replace 3 fuel pumps a week from vehicles dragged off the Freeway...... > and the bill is Friggin` expensive....

My Advice to All my StroFari Buddies: > Replace your FP at 100k miles with a quality AC Delco unit, before it leaves you stranded.....
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

Change your fuel filters every 20k, this will prolong your fuel pump life.
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc

CaptSquid

Post by CaptSquid »

I'll say, the bill is heartbreaking. Mine set me back $500!
Mike, Billings, MT, 'MERICA!
92 Safari SLE w/Z Motor (sold to a good home)
98 AWD Stro LS
93 Suburban Silverado 4x4

Look for the MISSING Alien in the Right Seat. AL, PHONE HOME!!!

ImageImage

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

Hmmm. The reason I was thinking that SoCalli was an OEM proponent was that one of the replacement pumps that crapped out on me was an AC Delco. I must've drawn the black bean.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

GEJ

Post by GEJ »

SoCalli V8 wrote:ONLY, Fit an AC Delco pump.... Anything else 'is' inferior and can leave you stranded at any time.... with a huge tow charge to get home, it`s just not worth it.

Take my advice or not.... But as an auto-technician, I replace 3 fuel pumps a week from vehicles dragged off the Freeway...... > and the bill is Friggin` expensive....

My Advice to All my StroFari Buddies: > Replace your FP at 100k miles with a quality AC Delco unit, before it leaves you stranded.....

Yeah Darren,
I didn't.Tick,tick,the clock is running and I hope I don't regret it. 8-[ 8-[ ](*,) ](*,)
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by potskie »

CaptSquid wrote:I'll say, the bill is heartbreaking. Mine set me back $500!
Thats all?

Man the pump alone for my 98 has a list price of $780 for the Delco.

Which is what I would have to pay if my uncle didn't run the parts store.

I only actually paid $360
Image 98 Safari RWD. Stock.
Do you smell what Barack is cookin ?!?!

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

Don't you just wanna beat on his chunky ass.... :muhaha:
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
Spike99
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Spike99 »

Thanks for your advice about using ACDelco fuel pumps on my GMC van. If wondering, I did get its gas / fuel filter changed yesterday (at 88K miles). Was told to change its gas filter every 20K miles as well. Thus, putting less strain on its fuel pump. Was also told to NEVER allow its gas tank level to be below 1/4 full. When the needle drops below 1/2 tank, fill her back up again. Was also told that levels above 1/4 tank (the higher level the better), it also puts less strain on its "in tank" fuel pump. Thus, lowing sudden blow out risks even more.

We had a previous '95 Safari van - from '96 to early 2003. Always replaced its gas filter at 20K and always kept its gas tank above 1/4 tank. And, we never had fuel pump problems in this vehicle. She "rusted out" before it started mechanically breaking down.

Thanks for your advice about using ACDelco fuel pump on my nert 2001 AWD Safari van. And suggesting we "proactive change" its fuel pump at 100K miles. We'll budget for a fuel pump change at 110K (or so) miles.

Rebel
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

or go with an exetrnal (inline) electronic fuel pump replacement? For different designs of fuel pumps for my 2001 AWD Safari van, surf:
Spike, this part of your question is one I've asked several times and there doesn't seem to be anyone who has installed an in-line electric pump because my question has never been answered or has been overlooked. Of course I don't have that problem since I run a carb. but have followed the fuel pump replacement issues in many threads and have asked why go through all that trouble,,forget the intank pump and install in-line. There may be a good answer as to why this isn't the best thing to do or the easiest but haven't heard it yet.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

Kabey's Van
I sleep in my van

Post by Kabey's Van »

When ever something packs it in on anything I've ever owned, I always take the approach of how can I improve this.
Intank fuel pumps are a pain in the ass simply because of there location. Why wouldn't you replace it with an inline.
If your replacement fails all you have to do is replace the pump and you could mount it anywhere for easy servicing. An inline pump replacment just makes to much sense.

Rebel
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Does to me also but have never heard anyone here who has done it. Like I said,,seems much easier but as I also mentioned,,there may be a reason why no one has taken the easy road.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

The answer to the inline fuel pump question has always been another question. Will the inline fuel pump pull enough fuel through the intank fuel pump to maintain the required 55 - 60 psi? Seems nobody has spent the cash to buy and install an inline to try it.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy