engine ran rich and clogged my new catcon

Topic author
dj_joker_2002
I finally get the smurf thing

engine ran rich and clogged my new catcon

Post by dj_joker_2002 »

I have no idea why but after I installed the new injectors in my TBI anytime
I ran over 60 mph the engine light would come on and when I code checked it it would say engine running rich. well after 3 months of this my catcon clogged up and it would not run until I cut the converter off. This converter
is brand new 4 months ago and it was for up to a 460 cid engine,
Any ideas?

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: engine ran rich and clogged my new catcon

Post by kings-x59 »

DJ I re-read your earlier post where you were getting the code 44 error "code 44 is "Oxygen Sensor Circuit, Lean exhaust Indicated"." Now with the new injectors you are getting the other extreme, but only over 60mph?
did you ever replace the O2 sensor?

[edit] Two other sensors play a part in fuel / air ratio control - map sensor and coolant temp sensor. The map sensor will usually throw a code even with just a mild vacuum leak in the hose. So, this is the less likely culprit. The coolant temp sensor won't if it's returning any kind of data at all to the PCM. You might check these out.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

astro355
I get chills without my van.

Post by astro355 »

What kind of injectors were installed?
Not a member of the good ole boys.

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

When you replace your cat, go with a flow-thru version. It's impossible to clog that type up unless you saturate it with raw gasoline and then light off the gas with a backfire. And even then, I'm not sure it'd block it up...
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
dj_joker_2002
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by dj_joker_2002 »

I never replaced the 02 sensor because its like 5 months old.
as for the cat con I am simply going to hollow it out and put it back on simply because its 3 months old and I am not rich. Although I may have to replace the 02 again .

astro355
I get chills without my van.

Post by astro355 »

dj_joker_2002 wrote:I never replaced the 02 sensor because its like 45 months old.
as for the cat con I am simply going to hollow it out and put it back on simply because its 3 months old and I am not rich. Although I may have to replace the 02 again .
Well, here's the catch. If you clogged the cat because the engine was running that rich, odds are that you will have to replace the o2 sensor also. You can wash them out too. Just like if you get antifreeze on them.
Not a member of the good ole boys.