tire tips

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
okeman
I am merely driving my van

tire tips

Post by okeman »

well Im going to but a new set of rubber so what I wanna know is what tires do you guys prefer the passenger tires or the LT (lite truck) also how wide can I go with out a problem I dont wanna look hooptie or rub the control arm. will a and the rims are stock and so is the ride height. and who has had good luck with a certain brand, just looking for names to get an idea of what to look for

thanks

Oke
Recently I was asked to run a marathon. At first I said, 'Naaahhh!' Then they said to me 'Come on, it's for handicapped and blind kids. Then I thought........

Holy Shyt... I could win this.......!

6spd_monte
I sleep in my van

Re: tire tips

Post by 6spd_monte »

I run Michelin passenger car tires. Size I think is p215/75 r15. Stock wheels, stock suspension. The tires don't rub any suspension components, but at full lock they rub the inside edge of the front mud flaps. Trim the flaps slightly or remove them to fix this.
-James

1987 LT
249,000 miles

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

I really like the Cooper Discoverer line of tires. You could run the ATR's in 235/70R15. They are a little less than 1" wider than stock and just a little taller but not enough to rub on anything. They are about 28" tall.

If you are towing or hauling heavy loads the LT rated tires will perform better for you.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

GEJ
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by GEJ »

LiftedAWDAstro wrote:I really like the Cooper Discoverer line of tires. You could run the ATR's in 235/70R15. They are a little less than 1" wider than stock and just a little taller but not enough to rub on anything. They are about 28" tall.

If you are towing or hauling heavy loads the LT rated tires will perform better for you.

Dean,
Any speedo problems with the tires being taller??.Or is it so small that I doesn't matter??.As I said,I am looking for new tires for the LT.

Hey-what's with the not stro less for long??. :-k
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Generally the manufacturers have the speedo read a little high so when you step up in diameter a little, the speedo actually reads correct.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Spike99
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Spike99 »

For me, I have an 2001 AWD Safari and find it "lugs" with its existing 3.42 axle gearing. Thus, I installed P215/70-R15 rubber on its factory rims. Rubber is slightly smaller diameter and lighter weight rubber then its factory recommended p215/75 r15 rubber. Based on research, the 70 series is 3.1% smaller diameter then p215/75 r15 rubber. Which means my van's speedo reads 60 mph but actual ground speed is 57.5 mph. A little less "lugging" (due to engine's now higher RPM) and thus, gain in 1-2 mpg more (as per my van's DIC).

I went with "P" rating on our AWD because we do 95% passenger traveling and some light weight utility trailer towing. My previous '95 RWD van had LT tires. I found the LT tires felt a little rougher on the straight roads but they "hugged" the sharp corners much better. With LT tires, I find much less tire / body roll on those sharp fast corners.

For my current AWD, I lifted its front 1.5" via torsion bar adjustments. Added +1 leaf and installed Timbren SES units in its rear (with 1.5" spacer under its Timbren). Thus, lifting its rear approx 2.0" higher. Overall, its 70 Series tires and 1.5" lift, its "stance" looks great. Much better then factory stance. And my van drives much better as well. With tighter suspension, it now "hugs" the roads instead of "mushing" down the road.

For more details on Timbren SES units, surf: http://www.timbren.com/ses-van-suv.htm

If I had a RWD van today (that didn't "lug" under average load) that would be used for mostly passenger hauling / country side touring, I'd probably go with LT215/75-R15 tires. Or, go with LT215/70-R15 for slightly `more space `around its wheel wells. Probably go with "all season" Michelin brand. Also install High quality shocks (all tires) and install Timbren SES units on the rear would bring its suspension to "where it should be". Especially if the the van is loaded with normal passengers and/or average internal cargo. To me, the factory suspension and "P" tires have way too much "mush" feeling.

Hope this helps in your research....

Topic author
okeman

Post by okeman »

Spike99 wrote:.

For me, I have an 2001 AWD Safari and find it "lugs" with its existing 3.42 axle gearing. Thus, I installed P215/70-R15 rubber on its factory rims. Rubber is slightly smaller diameter and lighter weight rubber then its factory recommended p215/75 r15 rubber. Based on research, the 70 series is 3.1% smaller diameter then p215/75 r15 rubber. Which means my van's speedo reads 60 mph but actual ground speed is 57.5 mph. A little less "lugging" (due to engine's now higher RPM) and thus, gain in 1-2 mpg more (as per my van's DIC).

I went with "P" rating on our AWD because we do 95% passenger traveling and some light weight utility trailer towing. My previous '95 RWD van had LT tires. I found the LT tires felt a little rougher on the straight roads but they "hugged" the sharp corners much better. With LT tires, I find much less tire / body roll on those sharp fast corners.

For my current AWD, I lifted its front 1.5" via torsion bar adjustments. Added +1 leaf and installed Timbren SES units in its rear (with 1.5" spacer under its Timbren). Thus, lifting its rear approx 2.0" higher. Overall, its 70 Series tires and 1.5" lift, its "stance" looks great. Much better then factory stance. And my van drives much better as well. With tighter suspension, it now "hugs" the roads instead of "mushing" down the road.

For more details on Timbren SES units, surf: http://www.timbren.com/ses-van-suv.htm

If I had a RWD van today (that didn't "lug" under average load) that would be used for mostly passenger hauling / country side touring, I'd probably go with LT215/75-R15 tires. Or, go with LT215/70-R15 for slightly `more space `around its wheel wells. Probably go with "all season" Michelin brand. Also install High quality shocks (all tires) and install Timbren SES units on the rear would bring its suspension to "where it should be". Especially if the the van is loaded with normal passengers and/or average internal cargo. To me, the factory suspension and "P" tires have way too much "mush" feeling.

Hope this helps in your research....

great way to put it, thats the problem I was searching to explain, its kinda like driving a big sponge thats the only way I could explain it,

thanks that was a huge help. (especially with me trying to tell my wife I need new tires)
Recently I was asked to run a marathon. At first I said, 'Naaahhh!' Then they said to me 'Come on, it's for handicapped and blind kids. Then I thought........

CaptSquid

Post by CaptSquid »

Go with any good LT tire the same size as currently on your vehicle. Passenger car tires just don't have enough oomph for these vans.
Mike, Billings, MT, 'MERICA!
92 Safari SLE w/Z Motor (sold to a good home)
98 AWD Stro LS
93 Suburban Silverado 4x4

Look for the MISSING Alien in the Right Seat. AL, PHONE HOME!!!

ImageImage

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

I agree with the Captain. The sidewalls of passenger car tires are a bit on the soft side. I'm running Kumohs, they're good tires but the sidewall flex disipates my sway bar and shock performance some. Next set will be stiffer.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

Spike99

Post by Spike99 »

Okeman,

As a suggestion, only replace existing tires if "they are worn out", they are "over 6 years old", or you must change your existing tires anyway. Replacing one's tires `for the sake of replacing one's tires` seems expensive.

For more details about tires being more then 6 years old (based on their date stamp), surf: http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=4826897

Note: When you obtain new tires (like: LT215/70-R15 on factory size rims to obtain slightly `more space `around its wheel wells) remember to check their Creation Date stamp on each sidewall rubber as well.

Hope this (and ABC News video) helps as well...

Topic author
okeman

Post by okeman »

Spike99 wrote:Okeman,

As a suggestion, only replace existing tires if "they are worn out", they are "over 6 years old", or you must change your existing tires anyway. Replacing one's tires `for the sake of replacing one's tires` seems expensive.

For more details about tires being more then 6 years old (based on their date stamp), surf: http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=4826897

Note: When you obtain new tires (like: LT215/70-R15 on factory size rims to obtain slightly `more space `around its wheel wells) remember to check their Creation Date stamp on each sidewall rubber as well.

Hope this (and ABC News video) helps as well...

I saw that when it was new, as far as replacing them goes, I hate the ride and the feel of them so there gunna go regardless, I just dont feel like im driving on a safe tire there a uniroyal tire but they seem like junk under the van, thanks for the tip.

Oke

GEJ

Post by GEJ »

I too am looking for tires for the LT.Don't over look Lifted's suggestion for cooper tires.They don't have to cost alot to be good.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

nitropyro

Post by nitropyro »

i am running general's a/t and it is real nice priced real fair
Danny
Danny im 21 year old with an 89 astro bbc 9in bagged 20's & 18's

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

I have 3.42 ratios in my 2003 AWD Astro. The 2003 to 2005 have 16 inch rims and rear disc brakes which is nice.
I am running LT225/70-16 BFG TA KO's very stiff and handle well but they are heavy. About 3 pounds more per tire and mileage is bad. about 13 mpg city and 15 highway. Also, the van is lugging a bit from start up on steep dirt roads.

I am planning to install the 2 inch Overland lift kit which I purchased this summer. with the beefy tires the van should be great in dirt and snow with the lift.

I would like 3.73 or 4.10's but too much $ with front and rear pumpkins (aka differentials)

I wish GM would put out a new Astro with hybrid drive or diesel and just stretch the front end a little to allow and better steering system with better turning circle.

Astrophysics.

Moreforles
I sleep in my van

Post by Moreforles »

I have P215 75 R 15 on my Safari. The ride is a little soft, and with the load I've got in it, I will be stepping up to LT tires in the spring. I have a set of Michelin P 215 65 R 15 M+S on my Astro van, with less than a hundred miles on them, I put two on the rear of Safari last week when I had a flat and didn't care for the ride, like riding on rocks in the rear...

might be fine in the snow, but sucked on dry pavement.

I'll most likely sell the Michelins when I find something I like for the Safari
2000 Astro, passenger van. Converted into a cargo van, used for Carpet cleaning (10 lbs of crap, in a 5 lb bag)