97 Astro problem

Topic author
astrogus
I am smitten with my van

97 Astro problem

Post by astrogus »

This is really starting to aggravate me. When i stop hard, Like when a light turns yellow and i gotta get slowed down quick. My van shakes something fierce, Then when i put it in neutral it goes away. But while it shakes and i go to take off it feels like there just nothing there take off wise. I've started to notice too while i shakes the mph gauge and etc flicker. Also when i come to a stop it feels like it just wants to take off sometimes. Im thinking it something to do with the trans but not sure. Any imput would be awesome i wanna get this taking care of asap. Thanks
1997 Astro LS 152k

astro355
I get chills without my van.

Re: 97 Astro problem

Post by astro355 »

Almost sounds like your torque convertor lockup is not disengaging. But if that was the case, the engine would stall too once you stopped or when you started moving again.
Not a member of the good ole boys.

Topic author
astrogus
I am smitten with my van

Post by astrogus »

Thats what i've heard, About it stalling. Is it possible that it's just starting to go bad and hasnt reached the stalling stages yet? I dont know for the life of me what it is. Thanks for the reply its appreciated, Anymore ideas?
1997 Astro LS 152k

astro355
I get chills without my van.

Post by astro355 »

Well, when the lockup is engaged it creates a physical link between the crankshaft and the driveshaft. It wouldn't kind of do it, its either on or off. It would be just like braking a car with a manual transmission and not pushing the clutch pedal in. It would jerk alot and stall. The computer does control the lockup and who knows, it could be the computer. But I'm not going to say it is without seeing your van. Does it throw any codes right now, regardless of what the codes are?
Not a member of the good ole boys.