Non technical and off-topic discussion

Topic author
phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Prayer Request for Uncle Sam

Post by phr1$k37 »

Hi Everyone!

Could you all please pray for Uncle Sam?

Uncle Sam is my friends’ father – Auntie Elaine and Evelyn, Uncle Eric.
Uncle Sam is getting old in age (79) and has gone through a lot already. He has been in and out of the hospital a lot.

Last December he had surgery to repair and put in a graft for an aortic-abdominal aneurysm. This involves the aorta where basically he has thinning veins and if the blood does not travel it will balloon and burst for internal bleeding. The healing of this surgery did not go well and instead of staying in the hospital for a few weeks it became months and lead to home stay with community nurses (Auntie Evelyn is a nurse but has limited movement as she has osteoporosis and fell down the stairs not long ago – pray for her as well) and during this time his stomach muscles did not heal at all.

He has a herniated belly and sadly because it never healed his intestines are pushed outward and has a pocket belly that needs to be repaired since the stitches did not close up well.

Infection got through the stitches which is the result of his current severe infection to his gall bladder – this needs to be removed now along with the repair to his stomach and fix up of hernia.

Yesterday Auntie Elaine rushed home when the community nurse said the drainage bag was filling with blood instead of bile which is a good thing *whew … I thought that was bad but blood is better than bile?

Uncle Sam’s surgery is this coming Wednesday.
Pray for the family – there is more but it is tiring at times to share. Sorry.

"There in no unrighteousness with the God of Jacob, he deserves no censure; let him do what he will, he is to be praised, and to reign enthroned amid the songs of his chosen people. If prayer be unanswered it is not because God is unfaithful, but for some other good and weighty reason. If we cannot perceive any ground for the delay, we must leave the riddle unsolved, but we must not fly in God's face in order to invent an answer." -- C.H. Spurgeon

Will be watching the US elections tomorrow. God Bless America.
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"

LaGrasta
I sleep in my van

Re: Prayer Request for Uncle Sam

Post by LaGrasta »

CHRIST BLESSED!
1998 Astro, 246,000 miles

K&N air filter
TruCool trans cooler
2" Overland lift & 15" BFG Terrain, 3.73 gears
JET Performance SCU-2000 (Speed Control Unit)
Gabriel Ultra shocks, rear AirLift bags & sway bar
Draw-Tite Dual Port Hitch System, hitch-mounted bike rack (4), hitch-mounted cargo tray, Thule roof-mounted cargo box

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

You guys are all in our thoughts and prayers. Hope everything goes well.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

T.Low
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by T.Low »

Prayers to you and yours, Abe.
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

Topic author
phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Thanks for the thoughts and prayers guys!
Uncle Sam did not go through surgery yet because of some bad test results right before going in. They have delayed it for more testing today and consultation from the surgeon. Next try will be next Wednesday again.
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!

blk lt awd
I sleep in my van

Post by blk lt awd »

oh man, there can't be anything worse than having to wait for something like that.....hope all goes well next week.
1995 Black LT AWD
2000 Ninja ZX-6R
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege (spicy)
1961 Impala...gone but not forgotten.

http://www.propertystation.ca/

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

I know I may come off as being cruel and/or insensitive but at some point, quality of life has to be taken into consideration.

My dad passed last fall at the age of 81. He'd been thru triple-bypass & prostrate cancer starting at the age of 50-55. Last few years he'd been plagued with a continuously-reduced heart function. Which caused water in the lungs. Which then entailed putting him on more and more diuretics. Which strained his kidneys more and more, causing renal failure etc..

He had always maintained that he wasn't scared to die, was fed-up of the ever-increasing hospital visits and extended stays, and welcomed the idea of, and I quote, "simply closing my eyes and going to a peaceful sleep forever". Yet in the few months before he passed, he became blatantly aware that his time here was almost up. He'd spent more time in the hospital within the last two years than in the previous 20. Quality of life was not great. Neither for him or for my 71 yr old mother, who was suffering the physical and mental effects of running the to hospital to see him every day.

When the doctor called me on Thursday, August 30th at around 6:30 am to tell me that my dad wasn't doing well and that I should get down there ASAP, I was shocked, yet relieved. It was over. I was sure that he'd already passed, they never tell you that over the phone. I was only 6 minutes from the hospital when I got the call. I got there and got to hold my dad in my arms while he was still warm. And though I was in pain 'cause dad was gone, I decided I was going to be happy for him. Even though he clung to life more fiercely during those last few months than ever before, he was now at peace and in no pain. And his chance of enjoying any half-decent quality of life had they been able to revive him was non-existent.

Why am I telling you this? It may not be what you want to hear, and I'm possibly out of line for having typed this. But I think we've lost sight of "quality of life" in our quest for "quantity of life". I'm not saying that your uncle should pass, not at all. All I'm saying is that if it's his time, may God take him without him feeling any pain. And while we grieve, we should all rejoice with the memories of what they stood for, what they were like, and why we loved them. Although a loved one can pass, our memories of them can never be erased.

Good luck with Uncle, phr1$k37
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

mattblackratbus
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by mattblackratbus »

Peter, i'm not joking a tear rolled down my face as i read your post, but your words are true..

phr1$k37 my prayers are for uncle Sam and i wish him and your family all the best....Johnny

Topic author
phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Hi everyone,

Not to resurrect an old thread ... but thank you all who prayed and read. Uncle Sam is well. This would be a very lengthy post so I will keep it short by saying he is well and alive - ready to belt some holiday tunes with us all and NOT ready to kick the bucket. The old man wants to go walk the ice streets for Christmas light sightings! GO FIGURE!

Thank you all again.

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Very good news. Merry Christmas. :bounce:
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

Thats great frisky !!!! glad to hear everythings going to be fine for the holidays .

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

DAILY THOUGHT:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

Fantastic, bud! Enjoy him. Ask him about his childhood, about his personal experiences. I'll bet he's got stories that will blow your mind. People from that generation have so many incredible experiences to talk about. And if he gives you an exceptionally juicy one, please share it with us here. :supz:
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson