Nitrous ... experts I need your opinions!

Topic author
phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Nitrous ... experts I need your opinions!

Post by phr1$k37 »

Comical opinions are welcomed :)

Alrighty so this weekend I need to visit boneyard to find parts to piece Princess back together. Ebrake handle / front wire snapped, lights smashed out inside driver door, sliding door bottom cladding ripped so either tape up or replace so the door CAN slide open, rear hatch leaks water in - weather strip is done ... list goes on.

But on top of all this I have not stopped thinking of supercharging / V8 swap (yeah right) but now I thinking I really just want that little bit more power ... so what about nitrous?

I have reading and wondering if it is a good idea or not. A small shot whenever I need it going up hill with my haul ... or when I just feel like adding some quick umph.

No I am not looking to spank the crap out of her ... just get more.
I am rather confused the cost and how-to ... still reading. Most of the s10 forums I reading from are BIG NO2 users and I do not think my application will be the same. I am not looking for 75+ shots ... more like 50 max. Do you think it is even worth it?

Is the strain of NO2 not a good idea?
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"

stomp13
I finally get the smurf thing

Re: Nitrous ... experts I need your opinions!

Post by stomp13 »

I have no input.

But Im going to watch this thread. Im new to GM and the 4.3L but I would like to see if laughing gas is doable on a semi-stock 4.3L

cheers :drinkers:
99 Astro LS AWD. 200k. Overlands 2inch lift. No name 29inch LT tires.

Topic author
phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

stomp13 wrote:I have no input.

But Im going to watch this thread. Im new to GM and the 4.3L but I would like to see if laughing gas is doable on a semi-stock 4.3L

cheers :drinkers:

Oh it is! Plenty of small trucks out there shooting 75-125shot to the motor ... just how long it last I am not sure because most of them dont tell you when it dies hah ha. I have a buddy with a 5.4L V8 Ford truck with a 50 shot into it ... it really helps going up hills with the horses in the back. Well we figured if the truck ever dies we have the horses to bail us out :)
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!

stomp13

Post by stomp13 »

Im sure the 4.3L can take it but I wondering about the fuel system, timing, dry vs wet vs multi port.

I would like to do a single wet, maybe 75shot.
99 Astro LS AWD. 200k. Overlands 2inch lift. No name 29inch LT tires.

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

I've always maintained that Nitrous is the simplest, cleanest and safest way to go. Absolutely no effect on reliability when installed (I mean when you're not using it), same gas mileage etc. Lifespan of a motor on nitrous can be quite lengthy as long as you don't go with more than a 75-100 shot of nitrous. A 75-100 shot of N2o will (in my opinion) cause the same additional load to the engine, after all, as a combination of headers, injectors, cam & heads if this combo also gave you a 100 hp increase. Minus the fuss'n muss of tuning etc, which is wayyyy more complicated than carbed engines and would prolly entail lots of R&D on a dyno to tune perfectly. Unless you followed the mods of someone else who's already done the same thing. Or bought a kit from an aftermarket shop.
Unfortunately, it is now illegal in some states & provinces to drive around with a bottle connected to your system. So even if you were to install the N2o injectors and plumbing under the intake, hide the solenoids etc, you'd be taking a chance if the cops ever made you pop your trunk. The only way around this would be to build a nitrous tank inside a frame rail or something like that. An idea with which I've been tinkering for my SRT8 for the last coupla weeks :whistle:
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

peter wrote:I've always maintained that Nitrous is the simplest, cleanest and safest way to go. Absolutely no effect on reliability when installed (I mean when you're not using it), same gas mileage etc. Lifespan of a motor on nitrous can be quite lengthy as long as you don't go with more than a 75-100 shot of nitrous. A 75-100 shot of N2o will (in my opinion) cause the same additional load to the engine, after all, as a combination of headers, injectors, cam & heads if this combo also gave you a 100 hp increase. Minus the fuss'n muss of tuning etc, which is wayyyy more complicated than carbed engines and would prolly entail lots of R&D on a dyno to tune perfectly. Unless you followed the mods of someone else who's already done the same thing. Or bought a kit from an aftermarket shop.
Unfortunately, it is now illegal in some states & provinces to drive around with a bottle connected to your system. So even if you were to install the N2o injectors and plumbing under the intake, hide the solenoids etc, you'd be taking a chance if the cops ever made you pop your trunk. The only way around this would be to build a nitrous tank inside a frame rail or something like that. An idea with which I've been tinkering for my SRT8 for the last coupla weeks :whistle:

Peter! HI BLUE BALLS!
The illegal part is one thing that deters me right now ... I have his visible neon sign above my head to Officers. Last weekend I was pulled over for nothing ... nothing I tell you. The Officer just need his first ticket for the month. I respect all Officers as it is their job and I want them to help keep the streets good - so I did not lip him but rather when he said nothing and looked inside and out Princess I knew he was looking for something to ticket me on. He tired my lights where he utterly wrong and I gently threw in some words and "names" .. he came back with a warning ticket that made no sense. My GF was pissed hah ha - waste of our time.

There is a shop out here in BC I am waiting for them to get back to me if they still sell or cannot to "the general public" anymore. I am on local forums now to see the fuss and if it is worth it.

If not I am back to daydream for some extra torque :(
PS it would have been a wet shot.

reaper
I sleep in my van

Post by reaper »

For street I would always run N/A.
There's allot you can do with tuning & headwork,cam,etc.
Abe,I'll call ya.
90 Astro Cargo V-8
90 Artro RS - V-8 Now running!
& a bunch of tractors
"there's nothing like a V-8 Polluting the Environment"

Topic author
phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

reaper wrote:For street I would always run N/A.
Abe,I'll call ya.

Heh, the locals always understand me best (sorry Petey) :D
Cam I am interested in.
Timing ... I have been reading about advancing my timing by adjusting the distributor but I dont know a lot about that.

I have noticed that using the cheapy JetChip tuned for mid-grade gas gives a little something ... the last few times when the pump ran out of gas and I got 91 for cost of 87 I felt and heard the difference!

PS headers I would love to try but that post where someone said there MIGHT be compatible headers is gone cause of board crash :( I wish I write down the numbers I would have if I knew the board crash on that day.

blk lt awd
I sleep in my van

Post by blk lt awd »

i can't say i know much about the nitrous set up's.......i was going to get one hooked up with a purge kit just for the look.....i know i know....but would've done it after the V8 swap, that's gotta count for something......

well phrisk, if you ever decide to do the V8 swap i'm at least willing to lend a helping hand.....besides i need to practice....... :poke: i promise i won't break too many things....hahha....
1995 Black LT AWD
2000 Ninja ZX-6R
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege (spicy)
1961 Impala...gone but not forgotten.

http://www.propertystation.ca/

Topic author
phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

blk lt awd wrote: well phrisk, if you ever decide to do the V8 swap i'm at least willing to lend a helping hand.....besides i need to practice....... :poke: i promise i won't break too many things....hahha....

Not worried about you or others breaking anything ... just worried my seats will go missing.

I am still researching about these nitrous set ups. in fact I should research about the bylaws here first. maybe that will toss this whole thread out the window.

GEJ
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by GEJ »

This is a old school opinion.The nitrous systems is something I don't like because it is like making "payments" for proformance(filling bottles) that had you saved the cash up for the proformance parts in the first place,you would have to enjoy all the time.I agree that stock pistons,rods,cranks,have a margin for additional stress.How big that margin is I think is depending on where you are with your engine and the shape it's in.Consider it this way.If you where looking to buy a van and knew nitrous was used before.Would you be more likely to pay more for it or less??. :-k :-k
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

now there's some good advice.
It's a sure bet if I was to put a nitrous bottle on my tired old engine it'd go fast for a while, then I'd be posting about blown gaskets, a thrown rod etc etc etc
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

Kidhauler
I sleep in my van

Post by Kidhauler »

Keep in mind abe that nitrous is like cocain you start off just trying it to see what its like. Then a few months go by and your living on the streets dressed like smurfette selling your self for more money to get a bigger hit. The problem is you get your extra 50hp and can beat some cars light to light that you wouldn't have beat before. Then one day you pick a fight with a faster car and just lose by a little. So the next thing you know its a 75shot then 100hp and so on untill you send the spark plugs through the hood.
1999 Safari Touring edition.
trailer tow pack with a 3:73 posi
Bucket bench seats, Rear heat, Rear Airconditioning.
teal green
300 000 kms
AirRide air bags in the rear to fix soft stock suspension.
Onboard aircompressor to make it all work nice.

k120189

Post by k120189 »

yes kings but then im sure a v8 post would follow lol we should encourage v6 users to over do it with the nos so we can have more v8 stros. joking aside im sure the vortec with reasonable millage could handle 50-75 shot wet does less damage as well. dry shots can cause lean conditions.

--->2000 RWD 4.3L/4L60E ,3.43 gears.exhaust and throttle body mods.
...gone =(...

-->1998 kia sportage 3 inch lift 30 inch tires under repairs

Mr_Roboto
I sleep in my van

Post by Mr_Roboto »

I have heard Canada is starting to implement nasty street racing laws that involve crushing, just something to keep in mind; if you're going to do this it may be better to keep the registration in someone else's name who won't be driving that way it's not "your" vehicle.

But if I were going to do nitrous, I would get a dry kit like they make for the 5.0 Mustangs where it bumps the fuel pressure up, then paint the bottle with rubberized undercoating and mount it underneath, cover the lines in wire loom and put the box and noids behind the engine in a way you can only see em with the dog house off. This should allow you to have a hard to see nitrous system that will keep the authorities off your back. No reason you can't safely and effectively run a 50 or 75 shot tbh, as long as you've got good fuel to support it. Go down 1 heat range on your spark plugs and preferably get some form of AFR monitoring like a wide band, and be sure you have a WOT switch.