A few Lifting Questions

Topic author
LastCat
I am smitten with my van

A few Lifting Questions

Post by LastCat »

I installed the Overland 2" lift blocks on the front, all went well. I have a few questions.

1) Front Brake lines.

I replaced the old tired rubber brake lines, and I have since raised the front with the Torsion Keys. It seems I could use another 4" or so, just to get the bracket that connects to the line, and attaches to the top of the Control Arm. Any suggestions here? Does anyone use extensions? Or can i get away with not attaching the line to the bracket?

2) Shocks

Can I get away with the stock Monroe Sensa Trac Shocks? Or will this bottom out somewhere out in the rough roads? Also, what shocks would give me a highway smooth ride?

3) 30" x 9.5" Tires

How do these tires fit with the 4" lift? Are people trimming the fender wells at all? Also, there is a type of plastic guard that lines the inner fender well, just above the Upper Control Arm. It goes between the engine and the fender well. Do most people keep these? Or is there a material I can find to build a new one?

Thanks
Lastcat

:drinkers:

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: A few Lifting Questions

Post by MountainManJoe »

1) Front Brake lines.
Not sure about this but I didn't have to make any modifications here.

2) Shocks
I think stock length shocks will be too short and you'll wreck them quickly. You might be able to get away with riding them out until you need new ones.

3) 30" x 9.5" Tires
With stock torsion keys, the tires will rub on bumps and in tight turns, so you'll need to trim. Re-indexed keys ... not sure. I kept my inner guards to keep mud and water from getting in the engine compartment.

See my findings in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3535

Topic author
LastCat
I am smitten with my van

Post by LastCat »

...anyone else? Bueller, Bueller.... \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

dunedog
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by dunedog »

What year van do you have ? Have to know for specific answers.

1: with a lift you have to be aware of lines coming out of the bottom of the radiator that attach to the subframe.

2:In my opinion Monroe shocks are not a great shock. Go with KYB or Bilsteins if you can,and with a 4" lift standard shocks may not be long enough.
Also more important ***** your steering wheel shaft may NOT BE LONG ENOUGH and can pop out if off roading etc.

3:You will have to do some mild trimming to the wheel wells.
I removed my inner flaps years ago and have not had any problems with dirt sand,etc. Although if you are going to be a serious mudder you may want them there.

These are some general answers but unless I missed what year etc you are driving can't be more help.
Also use the search to find all of these answers in the AWD/Offroad section of the forum.
Welcome and good luck ....
1999 LS AWD 3" Lift,4.10's,Snowplow,9500lb Ramsey winch

Topic author
LastCat
I am smitten with my van

Post by LastCat »

Thanks Dunedog.

1993 AWD

I currently have the Overland 2" front spacers installed. I wrote Dan and he sent me this email in response:
I have never had a issue with the 4" kit. You could use 80-81 camero/firebird brake lines or order the S.S. ones that I use in my spindle kits.

Can't say anything about shocks, you could take the rancho numbers and have your local parts store cross reference them to another brand. You can't go wrong with the rancho's bro.

Those tires fit your stock wheels perfectly,and the van too. You will need to trim some in the rear of each front wheel well, and a little off the trailing edge of the air dam.

Just let your rubber flap hang there,it won't hurt.You could get some rubber at a rubber/gasket company and cut new longer ones with the holes in the same locations. Hope this helps, DAN