Front 2" Spacer Problem

FROM FIBERGLASS MONOLEAFS TO AIR BAGS, STOCK HEIGHT TO BODY SLAMMED, EVERYTHING EXCEPT LIFTS GO HERE.

Topic author
Astro1
I am merely driving my van

Front 2" Spacer Problem

Post by Astro1 »

OK, I need some more advice guys. I installed the rear part of the kit (see "shackle bolts" thread for all the gory details)

I've been driving around for the last week with "That 70's Van" look, all jacked up in the back. I started the front and can't get enough clearance between the body and subframe to get the front spacers in??

I have removed both front bolts, and the passenger side mid and rear bolts are all but hanging by the last thread. I have already put into place (with the spacers), but not tightened down, the mid and rear bolts on the drivers side.

In fact, I had the entire drivers side jacked up where you could slide spacers in with another 1"+ of room at the mid and rear bolt positions. But the front is still short on room.

I have the floor jack biased on the drivers side placed underneath the radiator support. It appears something is keep the body from separating from the subfdrame?

As I jack it up the body moves along and then at a point the whole thing, body AND subframe starts moving.

I thought at first I just needed more slack in the remaining bolts, but as I keep removing bolts I think it may be hanging up on something else I can't see.

Anybody else have this issue?
1995 Astro AWD LT

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Front 2" Spacer Problem

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

You need to remove all 3 bolts from one side only and only loosen the other side. You will need to remove the jack from under the rad support and jack the body from the rocker panel with a length of wood to distribute the weight. You will then get the proper amount of clearance.

Any chance you can throw up a pic?
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
Astro1

Post by Astro1 »

I did start out with all three bolts from just the drivers side removed and the pass. side loosened. When that didn't work is when I pulled both front bolts. As the subframe continued to move with the body I kept working the pass. side bolts loose.

I'll try the rocker panel, I used the suggested rad support spot first.

I thought perhaps something else needed to be removed that was hanging it up that I didn't know about. If that's not the case I'll just keep shuffling the jack around till I hit a sweet spot.
If I completely fail I'll post pics.

Thanks for your input.
1995 Astro AWD LT

Topic author
Astro1

Post by Astro1 »

Got it!

You were right about using the rocker panel instead of the front rad support as the instructions say.

Phase one is almost complete.

I got the 2" lift installed, a set of Timbrens in the rear (still need to fab some spacers because of the lift), new Rancho shocks all around. This week I'll get the 235/75/15 Firestone Destination M/T's installed.

Phase two is a custom front bumper with winch, safari rack w/ lights, and custom rear bumper with a new integrated tow hitch.
1995 Astro AWD LT

stomp13
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by stomp13 »

sounds like a nice project, make sure to post pics, when you can. :drinkers:
99 Astro LS AWD. 200k. Overlands 2inch lift. No name 29inch LT tires.