First snow in two years

Non technical and off-topic discussion

Topic author
Kabey's Van
I sleep in my van

First snow in two years

Post by Kabey's Van »

Well, it snowed last night for the first time in two years.
It's blowing about 100-120kms per hour. The ocean is.........well you do not want to be out on the ocean today, huge waves are hitting the beach.
My power is out. It's the black line you can see in the picture is my power line lying across the road.
Still have internet though, which is wierd cause it's lying there on the ground too.
I live out in the boonies so I will be one of the last people to get hydro back on.
Same thing happened two years ago, went without power, tel and internet for 15 days.
The genny has lot's of diesel, so I'll just sit back and enjoy the ocean waves.
I am having some difficulties posting the pics. I'll keep trying. Maybe I'll take the Newfs for a walk out to Possession Point. The wind will be howling down the Juan de Fuca straight and the waves crash on the rocks. It's an awesome thing to watch.
Peter

Topic author
Kabey's Van
I sleep in my van

Re: First snow in two years

Post by Kabey's Van »

That's wierd, I had to put it in my photobucket and then copy it.Image

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

My MOM lives directly across the straights from you in the town of Sequim. While you're walking the dogs give her a wave. I'm sure she'll see you. :muhaha: \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

sarcastic> That sounds like great fun Kabeys` enjoy...... I`ll just stay put overhere and deal with my 74 degree California sunshine.....
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

Actually, if you've got the supplies you need and don't have to be anywhere soon, a blizzard can be kinda cool, been in dozens of em,stay save Peter and enjoy the storm :cheers:

T.Low
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by T.Low »

You live in such an amazing part of the world.

We got out and played in the snow last night too. You have been blocking the winds for us yet again, thank you. They have been high, but obviously not like you have.

Today we went up the mountain a bit, a Toyota Forerunner and I. We went up a Forest Service road and took to exploring some of the spurs of the main FS road. I turned around as the snow deepened about 1/4 mile after this shot was taken and Forerunner continued on, luckily for a Jeep Guy we found, about 100 yds past where I stopped.Image

ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

midnighthunder89
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by midnighthunder89 »

we have had almost 50 inches this season and tons more to come.
99 sle awd safari
Another addition to cash for clunkers.

T.Low

Post by T.Low »

midnighthunder89 wrote:we have had almost 50 inches this season and tons more to come.

You're referring to at school in the UP, yah?
ImageImageImageImage

Kidhauler
I sleep in my van

Post by Kidhauler »

My wife and I went to Sooke for Valentines day one year and got snowed in over there they closed the highway down. We were just outside of Sooke at Point no point. There were trees down all over the place and 4x4s in the ditch in about 6 spots.
1999 Safari Touring edition.
trailer tow pack with a 3:73 posi
Bucket bench seats, Rear heat, Rear Airconditioning.
teal green
300 000 kms
AirRide air bags in the rear to fix soft stock suspension.
Onboard aircompressor to make it all work nice.

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

Great pics T :supz:

Topic author
Kabey's Van
I sleep in my van

Post by Kabey's Van »

It blew even harder last night, I still have internet, but no phone or grid power.
Called BC Hydro and was told I should be back on line by Wednesday. Most of the downed line is on my property so this is going to cost me a few of orange ones.
I'm all set up here. The guy who used to own this place had it all set up for this sort of thing as it happens almost every year. I'm out of beer Zam, but I do have "other supplies". I don't have to be anywhere till March so it's all good.
There is an elderly couple that lives across the bay from me and I know they have a genny but last night I could only see a dim light or maybe candles burning in there windows so they must be having some issues with there generator. As soon as the sun comes up I'm going to head over there in my bobcat to see if I can offer some help.
Hey T.Low, those are some nice pics. We have had too much wind for the snow to have stayed in the trees. It's looks so much nicer when it does.
Froze my tea bags off walking out to the point, but the newfs loved it. They're bread for this kind of weather and I had a hard time getting them in the house. It's Emily's first snowfall and she feels that she has to eat all of it for some reason.
I waved at your mom smily, but she didn't wave back, wtf. lol.
From Possession Point you can see the lights of Bellingham, Sequim, Port Angeles and all the way up the Olympic Peninsula to the open Pacific Ocean. On a clear night you can sit there for hours watching the ships going in and out of Seattle and Vancouver.
I'm guessing that it was two years ago when you and your wife were out this way Kidhauler. That was a nasty winter. That was when I was without power for 15 days straight. I hope that didn't discourage you to much and you come back for a visit, as this is the best place in Canada to live, by far.
Ok, maybe Tofinos' better but were a very close second.
Still hanging in there,
Peter

T.Low

Post by T.Low »

It wasn't windy at all in the mountains this weekend, and now that I've been out this morning i realize why. Its a nor'easter that brings the cold air down from the Canadian plains, so the west side of the mountain is in the lee, out of the wind.

Hang in there! It sounds like a two dog night!
ImageImageImageImage

Topic author
Kabey's Van
I sleep in my van

Post by Kabey's Van »

Oh and to you SoCalli V8,
I don't know man, but 74 degrees and sunny with only a week and a half to go to Chrismas, that's just wrong.
:axe:

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Kabey's Van wrote:Oh and to you SoCalli V8,
I don't know man, but 74 degrees and sunny with only a week and a half to go to Chrismas, that's just wrong.
:axe:
I couldn't agree with you more. I've been in Florida way too long. Mom's eyesight isn't what it use to be. :yikes: Or maybe she thought you were hitting on her. :muhaha: :muhaha:
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Topic author
Kabey's Van
I sleep in my van

Post by Kabey's Van »

That was your MOM!!!!
I put her on the ferry this morning, she should be home now. :muhaha: :muhaha: :muhaha: