flakely battery?

Topic author
pengyou
I finally get the smurf thing

flakely battery?

Post by pengyou »

I just returned from a 2 week trip to China and discovered that I could not start my stro. I jump started it and it was fine. About 200 miles later I stopped in the middle of nowhere to get a coke. When I returned the van would not start. I jump started it and it was fine. I have started it about 5 times since then and not had any problems. What should I do?
New owner of a 1996 Astro named "Plain Jane" - stock right now - with 200,000 miles on it and running like a champ

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Re: flakely battery?

Post by SoCalli V8 »

Charge your battery up fully (overnight with a trickle charger) and test each cell with a battery hydrometer, because you may have a bad cell.
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

as I've mentioned before,,you might also check your ground to block. Same problem here several years back,,checked everything 3 and 4 times and finally pulled on ground to block and the cable eye for bolt was broken in two,,looked fine and in tact. Would crank some of the time and others it would not.
Good luck.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

Topic author
pengyou
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by pengyou »

Thanks! I will check the ground, cable etc. The battery, unfortunately is sealed so checking each cell is not an option.
New owner of a 1996 Astro named "Plain Jane" - stock right now - with 200,000 miles on it and running like a champ

9dawgs
I sleep in my van

Post by 9dawgs »

pengyou wrote:Thanks! I will check the ground, cable etc. The battery, unfortunately is sealed so checking each cell is not an option.
You could always take it out and haul it to Discount Auto or Autozone. They will test it for free. Sounds like you have a bad cell to me but checking all the cables is the smart place to start your trouble shooting.
Jim<><

'99 Astro 4X2, (RIP) 4" Overland Lift, 31X10.50/15 BF Goodrich AT T/A KO,
Rancho RS5000 shocks, Rockford Fosgate RFX9000, Red Top Optima, K&N Filter

'98 Astro 4X2 (SOLD)