Replacing front suspension components w/XRF?

FROM FIBERGLASS MONOLEAFS TO AIR BAGS, STOCK HEIGHT TO BODY SLAMMED, EVERYTHING EXCEPT LIFTS GO HERE.

Topic author
Ericglo
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Replacing front suspension components w/XRF?

Post by Ericglo »

I think it is time to replace most of the parts on the front end of my 1996 Astro 2wd. I bought it in 2000 and I don't believe any of the components have been replaced in its 220k mile life. Anyway, I did a spreadsheet with all of the parts listed and their price from the various suppliers. First, does it look like I am missing anything? Second, I have been doing some research and Moog seems to be the most popular. Unfortunately, further research states that Moog quality has gone down in the last couple of years. This comes from various sources and one person on another forum that I know who is the in the parts supply loop. Anyway, I found some info on XRF parts. There description sounds impressive. I spoke with a guy at their company and their prices are equally impressive. There is not much info on the web about them except some threads over at The Diesel Stop. Here is three of the better ones Thread 1, Thread 2, Thread 3. Does anyone have any knowledge of this company or used any of their parts? I will probably go ahead and take one for the team, unless anyone has a good reason to stay away. Did I mention their prices? :D

I can't attach my spreadsheet, so I will give the prices of the XRF parts
XRF Moog
idler arms - 38.7 81.79
inner tie rods- 26.4 35.06
outer tie rods- 26.4 36.62
adjusting sleeves- 13.44 23.42
drag link- 35.68 57.89
upper ball joint- 30.68 47.58
lower ball joint- 32.48 65.58
former 1996 Astro 2 wheel drive 225k miles totaled by a poor driver
now 2002 Safari 2 wheel drive 130k miles

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Replacing front suspension components w/XRF?

Post by Smiliesafari »

I wouldn't use anything but Moog. You can reuse the sleeves and save that money. While you're at it do the control arm bushings. Check the wheel bearings. If they're good repack them and reuse them and replace the hub seals. Take a look at the disc pads while you're under there. Don't forget to get an alignment when you're done. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

I personally feel you will be wasting all your hard-earned cash to just go and buy and replace all these parts just because you "think" they may be worn out. Have you checked all these parts for wear yet? If you are just spending your cash freely, you best go with a quality brand component because I will guarantee this...the replacement parts will NOT last anywhere near as long as the originals!

My van (the SPB) went 147k miles on all the original tie rods and ball joints except for 1 upper ball joint. It was only replaced because the boot got ripped while pulling it apart to do hub bearings and the ball joint had wear in it after wheeling for another couple years. I kept everything greased at every oil change. Oh, I think I was harder on my van in those 147k miles than most will ever be in 200k + miles.

I can't comment on the quality difference between Moog and XRF. I do know I have bought Moog idlers and they were shot in less than 3 months where the autozone lifetime warrantied parts lasted as long or longer and they never question the exchange. Moog quit warrantying parts after the 3rd replacement set.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

d3athm3talh3ad
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by d3athm3talh3ad »

Moog quit warrantying parts after the 3rd replacement set.
most companies give 'lifetime' warranties expecting that you will trade off the vehicle in 3-5 years...they don't expect a life span that some vehicles are capable of getting...

SSAstro
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by SSAstro »

i would not even use the cheap parts i did and had to replace it all again and i replaced mine b/c it was all original with 250,000 miles on them and the idler arms do not buy cheap ones i had one snap in half on the drivers side last summer and it only had about 10,000 miles on it