RWD to AWD is it really easy?

Topic author
Lon
I am smitten with my van

RWD to AWD is it really easy?

Post by Lon »

I have a 93 EXT RWD. Right now it is lowered and wrecked, but drivable. My wife wants an S-10 Blazer and wants me to sell the van. I really dont want to sell it, instead I want to use it for my camper.

Since I will be raising it back to stock I thought of swapping the sub frame for an AWD sub frame, and maybe adding a 2 or 3 inch lift. Is this as easy as getting a subframe and transfer case and just swapping it out. I know that the AWD transfer case has no levers but is there any dash board indicators or other electronics I need to know about? Do I need the AWD transmission or can I just swap out the tail shaft.

Any help or knowledgable advice is welcome.

And yeah before the swap and everything I will fix the crash damage. Here's a couple pics of its current sad shape.
Attachments
tn_IMGP0441.JPG
tn_Image000.jpg
84 GMC Sierra: static drop, airbagged, now on jack stands.
95 Nissan truck: Cranked torsion bars 3" lowering blocks.
00 Astro: America Vans Conversion. Debadged, otherwise stock.
71 Chevy C-10: Ogre the Ocher truck. Work in progress.

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: RWD to AWD is it really easy?

Post by Cobra »

i think locdoc is the man to explain this process i'm pretty sure it was not an easy task tho...
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone

ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by ihatemybike »

I think the general consensus is that its better just to start with an AWD van.

You'd need the subframe and all steering/suspension/drive train components, plus the transmission and transfer case. If you use 1990-98 parts you shouldn't run into any computer problems though. With everything you'd need don't even bother with a junk yard, find a AWD that's been rear ended at a salvage auction.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

Topic author
Lon
I am smitten with my van

Post by Lon »

ihatemybike wrote:I think the general consensus is that its better just to start with an AWD van.

You'd need the subframe and all steering/suspension/drive train components, plus the transmission and transfer case. If you use 1990-98 parts you shouldn't run into any computer problems though. With everything you'd need don't even bother with a junk yard, find a AWD that's been rear ended at a salvage auction.

I understand it would be easier to start with an AWD. But this is were I get into trouble. The van is paid off, it is drivable in its wrecked condition, the rest of the body/interior is in great shape, everything I own is lowered and I really need something to get me to my new favorite hiking area. If I buy my wife another van I will die a slow painful death, she wants a Blazer, I think she wrecked the van so that I will buy her a Blazer. Right now I'm in the research fase, all I know for sure is the van is going back to stock or higher, and I'm not selling it despite what the boss says.

Follow this link, to myspace and look for the Cane Creek Natural area folder. I drove my slammed Silverado down this road to the parking area. I drug everything. This caused me to want to lift the van. http://www.myspace.com/lohamment

ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

Given your situation, I'd start looking for a Blazer while repairing/lifting the van. Don't worry about AWD for now, just stick a LSD in the rear. That will make you capable of hitting most fire roads that you should encounter.

Watch this video to see what a stock height RWD Astro/Safari is capable of. Also note, this van does not have LSD.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGrbIgbZI5w

Also, once your wife has the Blazer get her going on a Blazer forum.
http://www.blazerforum.com/

Two years ago we purchased a Jeep Liberty for my wife, I got her started on http://www.lostkjs.com/ and not only is her Jeep lifted and off road prepped, but she does the work on it and finds Jeep off road events to go to.

By her getting evolved in the Jeep thing, I hear less about making mods and stuff to my vans, cause she understands the auto modification thing.
Aaron

1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump

Topic author
Lon
I am smitten with my van

Post by Lon »

Yeah that was the plan. As you can see from the wreck my wife can not drive. This is the third truck of mine that she wrecked, she backed her custom 99 S-10 into my bagged GMC one rainy night. She isnt getting anything newer than 1990 and nothing lifted. I found an 89 Blazer with a new motor. The owner bought it to resell and discovered after dropping in the motor that the trans is bad. I plan to do a 5 speed swap in it and let her drive that.

I have been on the Blazer fourms for a while. I have owned a few S-10s in my past and I really miss my 99.

I really dont plan on any real hardcore offroading just like you said mostly fire roads. And access to camping/hiking areas. I just dont want to get stuck with my wife and daughter with me.

Topic author
Lon
I am smitten with my van

Post by Lon »

The youtube video reminds me of when I took a totaled 88 Astro to the junkyard. I smoked the tires at every stop sign and drifted it around the corners. My wife was following me and aske that I not drive like that with her in the car. After the abuse the j/y owner used the van in the boat trailer races at our local round track. I bought the van for $300.00 and kept around $200.00 worth of parts and sold it for $150.00.

I'm not to worried about the capalabilites of the van after that video.

ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

I love using that video when people ask how capable our vans are off road. I actually watch it myself at least once a week. Grumpy has been making some off road runs, but the weak trans has been holding me back. I hope to throw some video together later this year running Grumpy like that though.

I also used to trail ride quite often when I had a stock height RWD '94 Astro, didn't get stupid and never got stuck. Found some nice remote places to camp in the back of the van for the night.
Aaron

Topic author
Lon
I am smitten with my van

Post by Lon »

I have found a solid 1973 K-5 Blazer in the junkyard, it is a 4x4 with all the axles, but no motor. I can get it real cheap. So instead of swapping subframes I may just go SAS. I have always wanted a 2wd fullsize Blazer, and a 4x4 van. Still researching my options at this point, but summer cruising in a roadster Blazer and winter wheeling in my van sounds real good right now. I still have to pay off the insurance on the car that my wife hit.

9dawgs
I sleep in my van

Post by 9dawgs »

If you can get by with just the 2WD then lift it to get the clearance you need. It'll be a lot more cost effective and you'll get the results you're looking for. My 2WD below is lifted 4" with the OLV suspension lift. I do whatever I like in it plus it's an awesome camp/tow vehicle. I don't do the radical off-road stuff but I ain't skeert to...as long as I have a trusty come-a-long. Check out my website below to see the van in camper mode.

Hope this helps. You'll get in the woods quicker with the 2wd lift rather than a full SAS or AWD subframe swap. Then you can save your pennies for a good used AWD and start all over! :whistle:
Jim<><

'99 Astro 4X2, (RIP) 4" Overland Lift, 31X10.50/15 BF Goodrich AT T/A KO,
Rancho RS5000 shocks, Rockford Fosgate RFX9000, Red Top Optima, K&N Filter

'98 Astro 4X2 (SOLD)

lockdoc
I sleep in my van

Post by lockdoc »

You basically have to have a complete AWD donor van to do the swap. There are many parts that you will find that are different between the two. I did this swap and had fun but it was a lot more work than I anticipated. Probably would not try again. I had a clean RWD with no drivetrain, a mangled AWD sitting in the driveway and a nice 4.3 that needed a home so it made sense for me to do the swap at the time.
Current:
01 AWD - Stock
98 AWD - Stock
Past:
93 4WD - 305 V8 - 5" lift - 31" tires
98 4WD DHC - 10" lift - 33" tires - Onboard air and Hydraulics - Snowplow
92 RWD - 350 V8 - lowered - 97 front clip
92 RWD - 350 V8 - converted to AWD - V6
91 AWD - 350 V8 - conversion van
94 RWD - 350 V8 - sons van
92 RWD - stock - sons van
93 RWD Shorty - project
89 RWD Shorty - parts van

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

i've thought about doing it too but after hearing about lockdoc's experience i scrapped that idea since i don't have space to store to vehicles
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone

Topic author
Lon
I am smitten with my van

Post by Lon »

Thanks for the replies. I have found a junkyard in Athens Al. that has a lot of Astros but no AWDs. At least I know where to get the stuff to fix the crash damage. I know when I raise it back up it wont be back to stock ride height. I will probably keep it RWD to see if I like how it handles.

9dawgs, I reall like that tent on the bak of the van. Where can I find one.

9dawgs
I sleep in my van

Post by 9dawgs »

Lon wrote:Thanks for the replies. I have found a junkyard in Athens Al. that has a lot of Astros but no AWDs. At least I know where to get the stuff to fix the crash damage. I know when I raise it back up it wont be back to stock ride height. I will probably keep it RWD to see if I like how it handles.

9dawgs, I reall like that tent on the bak of the van. Where can I find one.
The van should handle well enough but you will notice a stiffness in the new springs and shocks. This will jar your kidneys for awhile until they soften a bit. Can't wait to see pictures of your project!! \:D/

You can pick up a SportZ Mini-van tent at this link: http://www.sportzbynapier.com/suv_minivans.html
Jim<><

'99 Astro 4X2, (RIP) 4" Overland Lift, 31X10.50/15 BF Goodrich AT T/A KO,
Rancho RS5000 shocks, Rockford Fosgate RFX9000, Red Top Optima, K&N Filter

'98 Astro 4X2 (SOLD)