Tranny rebuild....

ANYTHING RELATED TO MANUAL OR AUTO TRANSMISSIONS GOES HERE.

Topic author
pengyou
I finally get the smurf thing

Tranny rebuild....

Post by pengyou »

Assuming my fuel system problem can be fixed for a reasonable amount of money :yellin: the next thing I will address is the tranny issue. I thought I ran across a post on this forum that described how to rebuild the tranny in my 96 stro but I cannot find it. All I found was a post on rebuilding a 5 speed.

What I am looking for are suggestions on how to rebuild it with a view to towing a trailer (most of the time would be a tent trailer but sometime might be a 20+ footer. I am going to add a good tranny cooler for sure...and I am hoping the rebuilt tranny will run for another 100K miles, at least. One last thing - I just did some searching and have run across some posts that suggested that the torque converter that I use might have an impact on mpg. What do you know about this?
New owner of a 1996 Astro named "Plain Jane" - stock right now - with 200,000 miles on it and running like a champ

LaGrasta
I sleep in my van

Re: Tranny rebuild....

Post by LaGrasta »

great cooler and parts place.

bulkpart.com
1998 Astro, 246,000 miles

K&N air filter
TruCool trans cooler
2" Overland lift & 15" BFG Terrain, 3.73 gears
JET Performance SCU-2000 (Speed Control Unit)
Gabriel Ultra shocks, rear AirLift bags & sway bar
Draw-Tite Dual Port Hitch System, hitch-mounted bike rack (4), hitch-mounted cargo tray, Thule roof-mounted cargo box