Dex-Cool

Non technical and off-topic discussion

Topic author
astrogus
I am smitten with my van

Dex-Cool

Post by astrogus »

My girlfriends 2002 Grand Prix SE has Dex-Cool in it. It has a warning sticker on the overflow that says do not use anything other than Dex-Cool. Is this to stop the owner from adding regular green in with it? My question is can i flush the Dex-Cool and add regular green and not run into any problems?
1997 Astro LS 152k

Spike99
I finally get the smurf thing

Re: Dex-Cool

Post by Spike99 »

Last fall, I asked my auto mechanic very simular questions and he told me the following:

- Dex-Cool (especially the earlier Dex-Cool formula) has an advertised life of 5 years.
- In reality, the original Dex-Cool only lasts "on average" 3 years. Thus, complete Fluid Flush every 3 years.
- Original Dex-Cool cannot be mixed with other anti-freeze fluids. Definate NO-NO.
- Original Dex-Cool cannot be mixed with air. For example, leaking rad cap. Definate NO-NO.

For my other vehicle, they flushed all "original" Dex-Cool out with water. They removed bottom hose and ensured all was drained from rad and lower engine block as well.

They replace with new Dex-Cool formula. Yes. Was told there's major differences between original Deth-Cool formula compared to today's much better Dex-Cool formula. If wondering, I was also told the new Dex-Cool fluid has much higher tollerance to air exposure. Expecially bubbles. And, its suppose to last much longer. Perhaps 4-4.5 years (???) between changes. Unfotunately, the new Dex-Cool formula doesn't like the older Dex-Cool formula. And the new Dex-Cool doesn't like exposure with other anti-freeze fluids either. Thus, completed rad flush - several times.

Not too sure if the above is 100% correct, but it sounded good to me. (giant smile). Today, my "run about" 2003 Buick gets complete RAD / Engine block flush (using clear water) and it gets new formula Dex-Cool fluid every 4 years... Works for our 2003 Buick.

Hope this helps...

Topic author
astrogus
I am smitten with my van

Post by astrogus »

I've heard that Dex-Cool eats gaskets and is a big GM mess up to start with. Thats why i wanna flush it out and go green, But i just wanna make sure Dex-Cool isnt required and is a must for the vehicle.
1997 Astro LS 152k

Spike99
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Spike99 »

astrogus wrote:I've heard that Dex-Cool eats gaskets and is a big GM mess up to start with. Thats why i wanna flush it out and go green, But i just wanna make sure Dex-Cool isnt required and is a must for the vehicle.
Yes. I too believe the original Death-Cool formula was too strong and it ate gaskets in the back ground - especially if left in use for more then 4 years. Lots of legal cases going on about original death-cool or engine damage was really because of poor head gasket material??? Regardless, its still inside the GM engine - so why point fingers at different reasons. (????) Thus, another reason to explain why today's Dex-Cool formula is much more "friendly". Especially if replaced every 3 years - like in my 2003 FWD Buick Rendezvous's 3.4L engine.

If you feel normal anti-freeze is needed (instead), then yes. Definately, triple flush one's system many, many times. As stated in my previous post, Dex-Cool (especially original Death-Cool formual) doesn't like mixing with normal anti-freeze. The normal anti-freeze makes Death-Cool / Dex-Cool "lump up". Lumping inside one's engine and rad core is a very bad thing. If you do decide to use normal anti-freeze (non Dex-Cool brand) instead, then remove the Dex-Cool stickers from your Rad's fluid re-fill container as well. Thus, a road side mechanic (or ???) won't accidently mix, or add the wrong stuff in your vehicle in the future. Especially if you allow other folks to service this vehicle.

Hope this helps as well...

BLAZER
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by BLAZER »

I've got some good rad flush and flushed my DexClog vehicles numerous times for hours. Then pull lower rad hose, let all water drain, then fill her back up with the good ole green stuff. Pretty bad when you open rad cap and it looks like mud under there!

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Yuppers ... flush her out! But I am in the middle. I have done the flushing and all but I am using a "DEX-COOL" compatible brand, Celsius. I flush and fill every year.
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"