need to do flushes

Radiator, thermostat, water pump, antifreeze, etc.

Topic author
chemist
I finally get the smurf thing

need to do flushes

Post by chemist »

I need to flush the coolant system of my friend's 96 and my 03. I seem to remember an adapter that would fit a garden hose to a radiator. Anyone know about this?

Also, I have a well on my property that I use. So obviously dumping is NOT an option. Where you folks take this stuff for disposal? Also, for a switch from Dexcool to EtGlycol, how much water to flush through the cooling system?

Previous Vans: 1998 Astro, AWD, 138K mi; traded on 2003 Chevy Astro, AWD, 125K mi; traded on
2009 Chevy Silverado 1500 WT, 4x4, ext, long box
2007 Chevy Cobalt
1998 Maza MPV (180K mi and in need of PA inspection--only paid $500!)

Needed: a Gen 2 Astro project vehicle...

6spd_monte
I sleep in my van

Re: need to do flushes

Post by 6spd_monte »

I'm not sure about the adapter, I usually just do a drain and fill type of thing. To dispose of it I think you could just drain it into some empty gallon jugs and take it to a radiator repair shop. They should take car of it for you.
-James

1987 LT
249,000 miles

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

I believe those adapters are usually spliced into your heater hose line... One thing I thought i'd mention, if your friends 96 does have the old Dex-death in it and has never been flushed you may run into a problem especially IF you ran any cleaners thru before flushing with water. These vans have more than they're share of intake leaks, if you run cleaners thru 1st and a ton of cold water trying to get out all the old Dex-death out you may just end up removing any sludge buildup that is preventing an intake leak ( I am only talking about the 96 van here ) so be prepared for that to possibly happen, what is the concern about the 96, does he just want it out of the cooling jackets in the block or does he feel his rad or heater core is plugged? a 13 yr old rad ( if its the original ) is living on borrowed time ( same with the heater core ) even if you get it sparklin clean inside ( which probably isn't going to happen) If it were mine I would still flush out with water, but I'd change the rad as well ( cash permitting ) its amazing how well a new rad cools, just a few things to consider. :cheers:

P.S have a look at the housing for the thermostat as well, these have a tendancy to pit and wear thin and may need replacing on the 96, thankfully they are cheap.

tim k
I am smitten with my van

Post by tim k »

they say that used antifreeze can be flushed down the toilet unless you have a septic system then take it some place that has a sewer system and flush it there
86 safari
96 astro cargo van
97 silverado (new toy)
01 awd safari

robertg

Post by robertg »

you should be able to take the used coolant to any service center that does coolant services. at my work, we recycle used oil. i'm pretty sure that we would take used coolant as well just for the environmental protection responsibilities...
2000 Astro 4.3 A4- b&m transcooler/autometer trans temp gauge. 171k miles
1995 Astro 4.3 A4- generic flowmaster muffler. 239k miles

Southern

Post by Southern »

My flushing "T" is made by prestone available at the local autoparts store and mounts in the heater hose line. To make it work correctly you need to remove the thermostat so that you can flush the entire system.

I am on city water & sewer and discard my old antifreeze down the toilet since the storm sewer out front drains into a local stream.
92 Astro Conversion Van 2WD
Vin Z Engine
Eaton Posi