Front end rebuild

ANYTHING TO DO WITH MAKING YOUR VAN MOVE EXCEPT FOR THE ENGINE ITSELF.

Topic author
cd0156
I get chills without my van.

Front end rebuild

Post by cd0156 »

Changed out a lot of parts in the front end this week..
-upper control arm bushings
-swaybar bushings and endlinks
-idler arms
-new tires
-shocks

The idler arms, shocks, and sway bar parts are pretty straight forward and have been covered before.. but i was surprised to finfd little info on the bushings for the control arms, and even more surprised to find that in all of the swaps Bill has done he had never done them!! I figured I would give some pointers for anyone that wants to try to do them on thier own and save 400 - 500 dollars labor. It is pretty straightforward, but NOT easy! And keep in mind that you will need to go get an alignment afterward.

1. Jack up the front and then lower it down on jackstands under the lower control arms so the van sits approx. like it would sitting on the tires.

2. Remove the front wheels, separate the ball joints. (Now is a good time to change them if you need to!!) If you are stock and your ball joints are ok, I would just pop them out of the spindle. If you are lifted and have flipped them to the bottom of the control arm, all you have to do is remove the four bolts in the control arm.

3. Remove the two bolts holding the control arm to the frame and remove the control arm.

Easy part is done!!

4. You now must remove the bushings from the control arms.. This is NOT an easy task without the right tools.. A press would be good.. You MIGHT be able to use a giant socket and push them out in a vise also, similar to the "previously easiest way to remove u joints".. I did not have a big enough socket to try, but be ready to seriously wrestle your vise! The first arm I did I removed them with a procedure I will outline below.. the second arm was FAR easier. My buddy showed up with a ball joint press kit. It is basically a big c clamp with a bunch of fittings that are basically big giant cups. Then you use the impact wrench to tighten it down and pop them out, then the reverse to pop the new ones in. Now, any mechanic will probably tell you that you should NEVER use impact on bushings.. at least that is what they told me.. They are rubber.. I dont know. They made it through just fine, and it took me 10 minutes to remove both bushings and install both new ones, unlike the 40 minutes it took me to remove the two using the procedure below.. its up to you!

4a. How to remove the bushings if you have no press or air tools:

Here is a pic of a bushing out of the control arm and intact:

and here is an "exploded view" of one I removed manually:

You will notice the end caps on there. I squeezed the end cap into the vise, and wrestled the control arm until I managed to wiggle the end cap off. Repeat for the end cap on the other side of the bushing. Next you will need to use two sockets to push the metal sleeve out of the center of the rubber bushing.. came out fairly easily. Then you need to cut a slit in the rubber. If you look close at the pic you can see the slit. I used an air saw and it was not too bad, just smoked a lot and stank real bad... Once it is cut you can pretty easily pry the rubber out with a flat head. My flat head says right on it "NOT for use as a pry bar", so I knew it was perfect for the job! :rolleyes:
Once the rubber is out I took the air saw and cut a slit in the metal housing, just be careful not to cut the control arm!! Once that was slit, a few whacks with the hammer and it popped right out with little effort.

(I know.. doesnt sound bad.. between both sides of the van there are 4 bushings.. It gets old quick!)

5.To put the new bushings in I used the ball joint press kit my buddy brought over.. VERY easy to put em in.. If you dont have access to that, well.. the only way I can see doing it would be to lightly grease em up, grab a big socket and press em in on the vise.. The problem is that it has to be just the right socket.. there is i fine line between "too small to fit arount the bushing" and "too big to si on the control arm".. but I am sure it can be done!

My recommendatin would be to get that press kit. It is cheaper than the labor for someone else to do it, and worth every penny in the time it will save you. I just went to get my tires mounted by my buddy, and he had is silverado on the lift doing upper and lower arm bushings.. Took him all day to do them as i described above! And he does it for a living! You should have seen his face when I told him about the ball joint press.. He had one there at the shop and never thought to try it! If not then worst case, a big socket is the cheapest way..

Good luck!
1999 Astro 4WD
NP231c Transfer Case Conversion, Custom Shifter and Front Driveshaft, 31x10.5x15 BFG AllTerrain, Custom Warn Front Bumper, DHC Rockrails, Superwinch 5000lb winch, Warn Spotlights and Flood lights on Custom Mounts, Thule Roof Racks Safari Rack and Kayak Racks, Alpine Touchscreen AM/FM/XM/CD/DVD/iPod, Eclipse Amps, Focal Utopia Component Speakers, Alpine TypeR 12" Subs, and probably lots more I am forgetting.... seems to happen more and more these days...

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Front end rebuild

Post by kings-x59 »

fools tread where angels fear to go. Nice job Man!
Florida has the most corrosive environment on the planet I swear. I thought the Texas gulf coast was bad...Yeeesh.
you rock, great job! :guitar:
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

So...did this stuff fix your death wobble? Nice job Chris. And for those who don't know...Chris moved to Florida almost 4 years ago. That means his van spent most of it's life in salty New Jersey! :D
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

just outta curiousity what exactly is a death wobble....
Last edited by Cobra on Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone

potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by potskie »

Cobra wrote:just otta curiousity what exactly is a death wobble....
Polish off a 60 of CC and you will then answer your own question :muhaha:
Image 98 Safari RWD. Stock.
Do you smell what Barack is cookin ?!?!

lockdoc
I sleep in my van

Post by lockdoc »

Cobra wrote:just outta curiousity what exactly is a death wobble....
Very similar to bump steer or really bad shocks. Going down the highway you hit a small bump and the front suspension starts violently vibrating and you have absolutely no control over it. You hang on and hope you can slow down enough for it to stop before it takes you into oncoming traffic, a tree, etc. If you are lucky your'e pants are still dry when it's over.
Current:
01 AWD - Stock
98 AWD - Stock
Past:
93 4WD - 305 V8 - 5" lift - 31" tires
98 4WD DHC - 10" lift - 33" tires - Onboard air and Hydraulics - Snowplow
92 RWD - 350 V8 - lowered - 97 front clip
92 RWD - 350 V8 - converted to AWD - V6
91 AWD - 350 V8 - conversion van
94 RWD - 350 V8 - sons van
92 RWD - stock - sons van
93 RWD Shorty - project
89 RWD Shorty - parts van

d3athm3talh3ad
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by d3athm3talh3ad »

violently vibrating and you have absolutely no control over it. You hang on and hope you can slow down enough for it to stop before it takes you into oncoming traffic, a tree, etc. If you are lucky your'e pants are still dry when it's over.
drove a couple g-20 vans that did that when hard braking...would shake the wheel about out of your hands and make a jackhammer noise...worst time was once when trying to stop for a train, stopped in time, but it wasn't pretty...would only do it intermittantly and that was never when it was in the shop...

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

lockdoc wrote:
Cobra wrote:just outta curiousity what exactly is a death wobble....
Very similar to bump steer or really bad shocks. Going down the highway you hit a small bump and the front suspension starts violently vibrating and you have absolutely no control over it. You hang on and hope you can slow down enough for it to stop before it takes you into oncoming traffic, a tree, etc. If you are lucky your'e pants are still dry when it's over.
OMG i laughed so hard while i read that definition my co-workers gave me funny looks, i don't know why but picturing that in my mind it looks hilarious
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone

Topic author
cd0156

Post by cd0156 »

Fixed the death wobble! Had a hell of a time getting aligned though.. All of the shops in town (mind you a town with more lifted trucks than people..) told me that they could not align a lifted vehicle because they only had stock specs to enter into the computer... So basically nobody knows how to use thier equipment and nobody has been around since before the computerized machines to know how to do it manually... I did finally find a guy that bent me over pretty good, but did the alignment.. still a little squirrely, but could be from new tires and shocks. I am gonna give it a few miles and see how it goes. I am also thinking my steering box may be on the way out so I am gonna try to find one..

Thanks to Dean and Bill though.. mainly for talking me into doing the bushings myself!
1999 Astro 4WD
NP231c Transfer Case Conversion, Custom Shifter and Front Driveshaft, 31x10.5x15 BFG AllTerrain, Custom Warn Front Bumper, DHC Rockrails, Superwinch 5000lb winch, Warn Spotlights and Flood lights on Custom Mounts, Thule Roof Racks Safari Rack and Kayak Racks, Alpine Touchscreen AM/FM/XM/CD/DVD/iPod, Eclipse Amps, Focal Utopia Component Speakers, Alpine TypeR 12" Subs, and probably lots more I am forgetting.... seems to happen more and more these days...

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

I'd bet your box is shot. Especially on a truck with as much mileage and off-road use under its belt. As far as the bushings go, those damn things were one of the hardest items I ever had to remove on my van. And if I remember correctly, I ended up getting the local shop across the street to re-install the new ones.....using a press, of course.
As far as what specs to use, that makes no sense. I never had anyone claim it was an issue other than maybe a very slight camber.
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
cd0156

Post by cd0156 »

PETER!!! How rude. Besides... I would think YOUR box shot WAY before mine. And besides... Oh wait.. my STEERING box? Yeah.. that is my thought too.. I am hoping that I may get one from the Comcast teardown..

Yeah.. as far as the alignment, It seems nobody really has a clue these days..
1999 Astro 4WD