Exeternal Fuel Pump

IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS OR ISSUES WITH ANYTHING RELATED TO OBD-1 AND OBD-2, SECURITY, AUDIO AND VIDEO SYSTEMS, PLACE THEM HERE. USE THIS FORUM FOR SES LIGHTS, RPO CODES, FACTORY OPTIONS ETC.

Topic author
Rileysowner
I plan to be buried in my van

Exeternal Fuel Pump

Post by Rileysowner »

I know this topic has come up before, but it never seems to go beyond the, "I wish someone would do this." stage. I keep considering it because I know that sometime along the road my fuel pump will die again, and replacing a pump that I can only get locally for $700ish or online here in Canada for $500ish, does not appeal to me at all, not to mention having to drop the tank to replace it.

Having said that, I thought I would start yet another thread with this question for those more technically knowledgable people to provide the information needed to mod in an external pump.

First, what sort of external pump would do the job? That I would figure is the place to start. What sort of flow, what sort of pressure? Links to possible pumps available online that would meet the specs. needed to provide sufficient fuel for the 4.3 at the least if not for a V8.

Second, what issues as to the overall fuel system need to be taken into account and suggestions on how to deal with them. I have little, ok virtually none at all, experience with the fuel system and am not even sure on the way it functions on a stock vehicle, and I would assume there are things that need to be taken into account to retrofit an external pump into the existing system without major modifications of the entire system.

Third, we need the guinea pig to try it. I keep on the lookout for a used van in about the same years as mine for a good price (sort of like ihatemybike's grumpy) that I can try things out on, but currently funds are low and I don't have room to store another vehicle. If I find one, that won't stop me, but I still have no idea where i would park it. :)

Answers to the questions above, and suggestions of things I am not thinking of would be appreciated. I am hoping that in the end this will result in a viable mod installing an external pump. I should have asked for the old pump when it was replaced under warranty, at least then I would be able to see how it is designed to function. Alas, I did not.
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

Necrocom4
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Re: Exeternal Fuel Pump

Post by Necrocom4 »

im gonna go out on a limb here. but ive noticed in every car ive had in the past the ones with an external pump also have a pump inside the tank. the pump inside pumps it into a smaller reservoir then the pump outside takes it from there. its so the external pump doesnt have too much strain on it whilst trying to pump the fuel out of the tank. that was on fuel injected though. :-k
Anachronistic.

robertg
I finally get the smurf thing

Re: Exeternal Fuel Pump

Post by robertg »

we had an 01 3500HD lawn truck in for service last week with an 8.1 v8.

the truck has dual tanks, and it has an external fuel pump. the airtex number is e3540, and the fuel pressure specification calls for 55-62 psi.

it has threaded fittings like our fuel filters....

they're only about 70 bucks from the parts store, you could rig up a test bench to measure the output pressure... i haven't been able to find any specs on that pump....

i know that some of the dual tank setups had two pumps.... one main in-tank pump and the external transfer pump between the two tanks.
2000 Astro 4.3 A4- b&m transcooler/autometer trans temp gauge. 171k miles
1995 Astro 4.3 A4- generic flowmaster muffler. 239k miles