Installing new parts

ANYTHING TO DO WITH MAKING YOUR VAN MOVE EXCEPT FOR THE ENGINE ITSELF.

Topic author
Ericglo
I am merely driving my van

Installing new parts

Post by Ericglo »

Well, I had a little issue that forced my hand on replacing a lot of front end parts. I was driving along to an appointment when I went over a large speed bump. Bamm! What did I hit and why is the van hardly moving? Got out and the left front wheels was giving me extreme negative camber.:) Fortunately, I was at a stop light and just a couple of feet from the entrance to a YMCA. I gingerly backed the van up maybe thirty feet and turned into the YMCA. Again, I was lucky. There was one parking space open right at the end of the entrance. Another thirty feet and I was parked with hopefully minimal damage. I paid eighty five dollars to tow it home.

After getting it home, I checked to see how bad the damage was. Fortunately, there was only a broken upper ball joint. The wheel and tire were ok. I asked about which parts to use in an earlier thread and decided to go ahead and give XRF a try. I called them and ordered the parts. I will put my XRF review in another thread.

I replaced the upper and lower ball joints, drag link, idler arms, tie rods,and sway bar links. The job wasn't to bad with the upper ball joints being the most difficult to remove.

Left wheel with broken ball joint.

Right wheel with good ball joint and you can see that I have removed the sway bar link.

Right wheel with lower ball joint removed and wheel seperated from upper ball joint. In the bottom of the picture, you can see a big hammer. To remove the bottom joint, I just beat it out. The Autozone tool didn't fit for removal. I used the pickle fork to seperate the ball joints.

Right wheel with lower ball joint being installed. I rented the Autozone tool. It didn't work for removal, but was fine for installation. Notice on the ratchet that I have a pipe extension for better leverage. I found this invaluable for helping me get this job completed.

Right wheel with everything installed.

Overall, this wasn't to bad. Now that I know what I am doing, this could be done a lot quicker. The biggest time consumer was the upper ball joint. I tried a variety of methods that have been mentioned here, but it still was difficult. I got them off by cutting them with a Dremel and then using a chisel to break the joint off. The bottom joint was simple once I realized that it was easiest to just sledgehammer out. The other parts are pretty easy. The sway bar links, idler arms, tie rods and center link were straightforward bolt off/bolt on.
I must confess that I was nervous about this, but after getting into it the job wasn't that bad. Anyone should be able to do all of this outside of the ball joints in a couple of hours. Doing the ball joints will add time. The bottom joint can be done quickly. A big hammer can have the bottom joint out in a couple of minutes. With the Autozone tool, you can have the new one on in about a hour or less. The upper joint was a pain and will probably take awhile your first time out.
former 1996 Astro 2 wheel drive 225k miles totaled by a poor driver
now 2002 Safari 2 wheel drive 130k miles

Rileysowner
I plan to be buried in my van

Re: Installing new parts

Post by Rileysowner »

When you were trying to press out the bottom ball joint was the problem that it didn't seem to fit over it? If so, you probably did what I did, you put the disk shaped pieces on in reverse. For removal, the one with the bigger hole is supposed to be on top with the shaft of the lower ball joint sticking through it, while the one with the smaller hole goes on the bottom IIRC. First time I tried I was so frustrated I was going to pound it out with a hammer. Then I looked closely at the pics posted by 97 Cargo Crawler HERE, and realized my mistake. I felt like an idot once I realized what I had done, but I won't make the mistake again.
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

Topic author
Ericglo

Post by Ericglo »

Riley,
I honestly can't remember, but I believe I tried every variation I could think of. While that way may look easy, the hammer method was really simple and cathartic. :D I mean literally no more than two or three minutes and I had it out. I could have saved a lot of time knowing this instead of fumbling with the tool.

Topic author
Ericglo

Post by Ericglo »

Riley,
I wish you would have started your thread before I got into this. Cargo's pics could have saved me some time on this job.