Transmission removal - no trans jack

ANYTHING RELATED TO MANUAL OR AUTO TRANSMISSIONS GOES HERE.

Topic author
ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Transmission removal - no trans jack

Post by ihatemybike »

Anybody remove/install a trans without a specific transmission jack? I have a couple 2 1/2 ton floor jacks, but neither have wide bases or lifting platforms.

I've been trying to figure out a ratchet strap/floor jack combo that would do the trick. Am I nuts? Too cheap for my own good? Or am I on to something?

Suggestions?
Last edited by ihatemybike on Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Transmission removal - no trans jack

Post by astrozam »

They can be muscled off the alignment pins ( did this with mine ) and we did this at the wreckers getting skippy's tranny a few yr's back, BUT it is not the recommended way unless you have a few extra hands. The tranny weighs approx 150lbs which is fairly akward when you are under the van all crunched up. What I did with mine when i was putting it back in was to get some thick plywood and make a base ( which would go under the pan ) then get a floor jack lift it up a bit and with the help of my dad find the balancing point of the tranny, we marked where the plywood base needed to be on the jack and where the tranny needed to rest on the base. Once we got the tranny over to the back of the van we reset it back up on the jack and pushed it under the van then raised the jack back up and muscled it back onto the pins. Make sure that before you re-install the tranny that your T.C ( torque convertor ) is seated correctly on the front pump.

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

getting it out with ratchet straps would probably work ok, but trying to put it back in would be really tough.
sounds like an opportunity to get hurt really bad.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

What Zam said is pretty much the way to do it if you don't have the proper jack. A ratchet strap or two wouldn't hurt either. Whatever you do, BE CAREFUL. If it gets away from you get the "H" out of the way and let it go. I've done that more than a couple of times. It won't hurt anything. It does't have that far to fall. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

having seen everything that Aaron has done on his vans, I'm sure this is going to come out just fine, but man Smilie, talk about a contradictory post. :poke:
be careful, won't hurt anything....? lmao :muhaha:
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve

Topic author
ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

After finding that the trans should weigh roughly 185 lbs, I've started with the ratchet straps. The trans cross member is removed and the rear of the trans is being held up by the by one. The trans is still 8/9th bolted to the engine and the TC/fly wheel bolts are still in place. Weather is supposed to be cool, with some occasional rain here tomorrow. Hopefully I catch a break and am able to finish unbolting everything without getting soaked. I'm planning on hooking another ratchet strap to the opening for the engine cover, obviously on opposite sides of the trans. I'm gonna practice letting it down and picking it up with a few boards under it so at most it can only drop a couple inches. Once I'm confident, I'll lower it the whole way. Might have to borrow my daughter's camera for this.
Aaron

1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

vice grips clamped to the bellhousing work pretty good for keeping the torque converter in place while removing the transmission.

name's Steve

cd0156
I get chills without my van.

Post by cd0156 »

When I swapped my transfer case I was alone and did it balancing on a jack.. it weighs quite a bit less than the trans and I had trouble trying to muscle it around in there... I also experienced what happens when it loses balance. I got out of there quick and we both were ok.. at least it has not given me any issues in the last five years. I guess I am just trying to say.. BE VERY CAREFUL!! We dont want any squished members!
1999 Astro 4WD
NP231c Transfer Case Conversion, Custom Shifter and Front Driveshaft, 31x10.5x15 BFG AllTerrain, Custom Warn Front Bumper, DHC Rockrails, Superwinch 5000lb winch, Warn Spotlights and Flood lights on Custom Mounts, Thule Roof Racks Safari Rack and Kayak Racks, Alpine Touchscreen AM/FM/XM/CD/DVD/iPod, Eclipse Amps, Focal Utopia Component Speakers, Alpine TypeR 12" Subs, and probably lots more I am forgetting.... seems to happen more and more these days...

Topic author
ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

I love it when I have too much going on....sigh. Well I leave for a two week vacation in the Jeep tomorrow, it's a planned Jeep trip so it's OK. Tonight I put the van back down on its wheels so the city doesn't harass me for having a vehicle on jack stands while I'm gone. Hopefully I can finish dropping it the weekend after we get back.
Aaron

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Aaron...I wanna see lots of pics of the wheeling! Man I miss it sometimes. :cry:
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

There will be lots and lots of pictures. My wife has gotten the photography bug now. Look up yellocoyote on PhotoBucket to see her album.

I'd link it, but PB is blocked at work.
Aaron

dean89
I get chills without my van.

Post by dean89 »

I just swapped out the transmission in my van yesterday and I couldn't use a transmission jack because the van is too low. I ended up removing the transmission with some wood blocks and a little 2 ton floor jack. To put the new (junkyard) one back in, I used two ratchet straps, one to lift the tailshaft and the other at the front edge of the pan. I was able to lift the trans this way and position blocks under it, then reposition the straps and do it again. Once it was up high enough, I put the floor jack under the pan and slid the whole thing forward slowly until it lined up. I don't think that it is as easy as it would be with the transmission jack, but it did work since I didn't have room to get one under the van.
ImageImageImage
1989 Astro, 3" DJM drop, 5.7 tbi
1991 Chevrolet C1500 4.3 tbi 5spd 4-6" DJM drop (brother's truck)
1983 Chevrolet K20 350/4spd, 3.5" lift w/35's

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

oh I don't know, sounds like it wasn't too bad. I have a transmission jack - had to jack the whole front of the van up with a 27" lift hydraulic jack, and then tilt the the trans jack to get the bellhousing to clear when wheeling it underneath. Mine's a harbor freight pos, so it's not like it was rock solid when adjusting to position the transmission. I bet your wood blocks were a lot more stable than my jack... :supz:

name's Steve

Topic author
ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

I'm soo lame. Green's trans is still in it. Seems I left my trans rebuild money in Colorado.
Aaron

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

well if you left it, that is lame. [-X
if you spent it, I'm sure it was a lot more fun than rebuilding a tranny. :bounce:

name's Steve