JCWhitney Airsprings

FROM FIBERGLASS MONOLEAFS TO AIR BAGS, STOCK HEIGHT TO BODY SLAMMED, EVERYTHING EXCEPT LIFTS GO HERE.

Topic author
thevalleyboy
I sleep in my van

JCWhitney Airsprings

Post by thevalleyboy »

Does anybody have any experience with JC Whitney's airsprings for the Astro item number ZX475901R - for example what brand they actually are? Was the install pain free? Drilling/No Drilling? Are they POS and should I spend the huge extra money to get me a set of firestone Ride-Rite bags. I ask becuase the firestones with shipping to Canada or to purchase local are going to cost like $450+ USD shipped before duties, compared to these JC springs for about $220-230 USD shipped duties in.

Link to Air Springs

Any help would be appreciated. :canuk: :usa:
2001 Astro LT AWD - SOLD @ 180,200KM
Now I got a 2006 Ford Expedition King Ranch 4 x 4
to pull a Hybrid RV - 2006 Kodiak 235
Calgary, Alberta

Topic author
thevalleyboy
I sleep in my van

Re: JCWhitney Airsprings

Post by thevalleyboy »

oh found more info with a little more digging

Link to Company
Calgary, Alberta

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

I used them on the 03 I had. Worked great for the short time I had them.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
thevalleyboy
I sleep in my van

Post by thevalleyboy »

Thanks for the info - I think I'll do some preliminary measuring and ensure I have the clearances required in their installation manual - measure twice, cut once mentality, and if all looks good I think I will order them up. It'll help with the tongue weight of the tent trailer and camping gear in the rear. I'll take some pictures if I go ahead with the install and do a write up.

Cheers!
Calgary, Alberta

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

Believe me I'm not trying to discourage you from adding your own write up and pics ( cause I love it when folks contribute ) but to make things easy on yourself have a look at this "How To" http://astrosafarivans.com/howto/main.p ... temId=1271 to give yourself some idea of whats involved, then tell us how you installed yours, cause we can never get too much good info and/or additional ways of doing things :cheers:

Topic author
thevalleyboy
I sleep in my van

Post by thevalleyboy »

You know I figured those photos existed... based on who did the install... but I was damned if I could find those photos... thanks for the additional information
Calgary, Alberta

st4s
I am smitten with my van

Post by st4s »

one guy over here (Derek - the european) had an issue with tires rubbing on the airbag, he has 255 wide tires on BMW X5 rims with adapters and this setup showed to bring the wheel a little bit to much inwards, in consequence he had a new set of wheel-adapters made....

this said, you might want to check the clearance first if you don't run stock wheels....
-Frank-
ImageImageImage
07 Dodge Nitro SLT, LPG, 93l propane tank
06 Moto Morini Corsaro 1200
94 Astro AWD 2" Overland Lift, LPG, 95l propane tank
93 Honda VFR750
82 Vespa 135cc

Berlin, Germany

Kidhauler
I sleep in my van

Post by Kidhauler »

I just installed a set of AIRLIFT brand bags in the back of my 99. The install was easy it does require drilling 4 holes per side but the bags work great. I just finished pulling my 4500lbs trailer to oregon and back about 3000km total and it was brilliant. The first day I was not impressed as the van wandered all over the place. the solution was simple just add more air. I ran 85lbs in them and they will go to 100lbs the van rode level and it took alot of the sway out of the van.

I would definatly get the AIRLIFT bags. the best price I found in the lower mainland was at Lowriders Unlimited in Surrey and I got the whole on board air pump bags and all the lines to run the system for the same price of just a set of the Firestone bags.

Kevin
1999 Safari Touring edition.
trailer tow pack with a 3:73 posi
Bucket bench seats, Rear heat, Rear Airconditioning.
teal green
300 000 kms
AirRide air bags in the rear to fix soft stock suspension.
Onboard aircompressor to make it all work nice.

Topic author
thevalleyboy
I sleep in my van

Post by thevalleyboy »

Well I ordered the bags from JC Whitney - $221 USD shipped to Calgary, so now the wait until they arrive - not that it matters, I'll install them when they get here, the van is acceptable without them, I just have a noticeable load with the tent trailer hooked up. Didn't get the onboard air control - I decided I can use the compressor for that, or the portable air tank I have (old freon container converted to air tank - filled to 120lbs it's good for 2 tires usually - lots of air - I should do a write up on that handy tool....) Camping again this weekend - yippee, probably only 2 or 3 more trips left after this one.
Calgary, Alberta

Kidhauler
I sleep in my van

Post by Kidhauler »

When you install the bags if you use a "T" connector and hook both the bags together then put a single fill line off so you fill both bags at once you will not have to worry about making sure they are level. I ran a line with a tire fitting up and into the gas cap area. You can reach it from underneath to install but that way you don't have to get down on your hands and knees to fill the bags. just open the gas door and the line is nice and stealth right above the gas cap. I did that just incase my onboard air ever fails I can still fill the bags. Don't forget you need to keep about 5-10 psi in the bags at all times to keep them from folding over on themselves and wearing out prematurly.
1999 Safari Touring edition.
trailer tow pack with a 3:73 posi
Bucket bench seats, Rear heat, Rear Airconditioning.
teal green
300 000 kms
AirRide air bags in the rear to fix soft stock suspension.
Onboard aircompressor to make it all work nice.

Topic author
thevalleyboy
I sleep in my van

Post by thevalleyboy »

I received the Air Spring Kit today... now to find some time to install them. Not this weekend, another camping trip, so I guess it'll have to be the weekend after that!
Calgary, Alberta

Topic author
thevalleyboy
I sleep in my van

Post by thevalleyboy »

Well I am finally getting around to installing them - it just didn't happen at the end of last season so before I hook up and get to camping - I need to get er done.

Kidhauler do you happen to have details about the "Tee" that you installed I see the parts the kit came with and unless I go compression fitting shopping and/or tee off the brass prefit ends they provided I am curious as to what you did, and of course photo would be awesome. I am thinking a new brass tee fitting to the bag itself one line to the other bag the other up to the gas filler cap. Not sure what I can find at my local auto/hardware/princessauto perhaps I'll have to go looking. Just pulled the parts out today, ensured the kit was complete and might start at it tonight after the kiddies have gone to bed.
Calgary, Alberta

Astro-SS-V8
I get chills without my van.
Location: Chilhowie,Va......I know you've never heard of it...

Post by Astro-SS-V8 »

If you need any fittings,you can go to suicidedoors.com. They have all the fittings that you should need.I know they do have all the fittings that I needed for my bag setup.
93 Astro cargo .... Newest Aquisition !
95 Safari , on the injured list

Topic author
thevalleyboy
I sleep in my van

Post by thevalleyboy »

Thanks for the heads up on fittings - if I cannot find them local - I'll just install the 2 lines for now. But if I cannot find the parts local in a city of 1 million+ I am in trouble!

Anyway since everybody likes pics - here is the kit all nice and laid out on the bench

Calgary, Alberta

Astro-SS-V8
I get chills without my van.
Location: Chilhowie,Va......I know you've never heard of it...

Post by Astro-SS-V8 »

Nice looking kit there........ :guitar:
93 Astro cargo .... Newest Aquisition !
95 Safari , on the injured list