Replaced the spark plugs.

Topic author
Lon
I am smitten with my van

Replaced the spark plugs.

Post by Lon »

I have completed the most dreaded maintence item on the Astro. I know lots of folks on here has done it before and have read both good and bad reports. Mine went okay. I would rather have another root canal, but I survived. On the drivers side going in through the wheel well wasnt an option, some genius poured a van body around the motor. Luckily I wont have to do it again for a while. I'm sure these were the orginal plugs and they lasted for 221,000 miles.

I ended up breaking the plugs that had straight wire boots, the wires were fused to the plugs. The plug wires wire brittle, and stiff, so I replaced those as well.
Attachments
tn_DSC00762.JPG
tn_DSC00763.JPG
84 GMC Sierra: static drop, airbagged, now on jack stands.
95 Nissan truck: Cranked torsion bars 3" lowering blocks.
00 Astro: America Vans Conversion. Debadged, otherwise stock.
71 Chevy C-10: Ogre the Ocher truck. Work in progress.

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Replaced the spark plugs.

Post by kings-x59 »

hope you got some plug wires with dielectric grease in the boots, or at least added some. You won't have that problem again.
"fun isn't it"....I do most of mine from underneath.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

I don't mind changing the plugs on my van. I always remove the front wheels, put together a couple of long extensions on the ratchet and go at it. No problems getting at the plugs, but getting myself motivated to raise the front end and remove the wheels is the problem.
Rob Shaver
1989 Astro 305 with an MSD 6A ignition and a dash-mounted MSD timing control, a 4160 Holley 465 cfm four barrel carb, and an HEI distributor.
Moog 625 front springs and Energy Suspension poly bushings. Rear OEM sway bar. Edelbrock shocks.

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

I recommend fitting the exact AC Delco plugs suited for your engine and nothing else, because this is what your engine was designed for, and will give you the best longevity and performance.
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc

Topic author
Lon
I am smitten with my van

Post by Lon »

SoCali, Yep I used AC Delco plugs, and lots of dielectric grease.

I did the drivers side from under the van. I was glad to get it over with, I kept knocking against the shifter arm. I gave my daughter my cell phone and told her to stand beside the van and if it rolled to start dialing 911. Gotta have an emergency plan.
84 GMC Sierra: static drop, airbagged, now on jack stands.
95 Nissan truck: Cranked torsion bars 3" lowering blocks.
00 Astro: America Vans Conversion. Debadged, otherwise stock.
71 Chevy C-10: Ogre the Ocher truck. Work in progress.