some thoughts today

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
chemist
I finally get the smurf thing

some thoughts today

Post by chemist »

I was just going back to the van, getting off work, and thinking. They really hit the nail on the head when they built these things. I mean GM took the idea of the 1970 something full sized station wagon and made it what what it was meant to be--truthfully, they did miss the mark by 6 inches of length, but only because of the front seat backs.

But they made a vehicle that would tote the family, allow a fellow to bring in things necessary to add on to the home or otherwise improve, help a fellow to make a living if he was a contractor, tote home appliances and furniture as a family grows, and tow a realistic size camper to take them all on vacation camping. Why the hell has noone attempted to clone this vehicle since?

I forgot to mention one of the best parts. They put it all in a package you can parallel park!

Previous Vans: 1998 Astro, AWD, 138K mi; traded on 2003 Chevy Astro, AWD, 125K mi; traded on
2009 Chevy Silverado 1500 WT, 4x4, ext, long box
2007 Chevy Cobalt
1998 Maza MPV (180K mi and in need of PA inspection--only paid $500!)

Needed: a Gen 2 Astro project vehicle...

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: some thoughts today

Post by Smiliesafari »

I think most of us agree. You need not wonder why the auto industry is broke. It started in the 70's. They quit making vehicles that the American public wanted. For 30 plus years they have made a bunch of generic crap. Even today they still haven't caught up with that tiny nation called Japan. It won't change any time soon. The "Good Old Boy Club" in Detroit needs to go away.
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

Detroit had more problems than marketable vehicles in the '70's. Quality control was nonexistent. Brand new vehicles were a p.o.s. right off the show room floor. I have to agree about the Astros and Safaris, I was really surprised at how maneuverable my Astro was when I first started driving it.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

A V8 would have been a nice option though....
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc

T.Low
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by T.Low »

SoCalli V8 wrote:A V8 would have been a nice option though....
:muhaha:

A ZR2 Highrider 4x4 with a pop top would have been a nice option, though. :D

Oh, BTW, I totally agree. :cheers:
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

afsigma21

Post by afsigma21 »

A v8 isnt even necesary.

How bout 2006 models and newer with one of their other newer v6 engones with more power. We just boght an 09 Mazda, 3.7L v6 with 272HP. I mean, I know GM has similar engines. Just a revamped v6 with more power would be cool.

Even a hybrid in 09.

Lots they could have done.

There are no rear wheel drive minivans, you cant get a minivan with more than a 3500# tow capacity anymore.

Look at the newest model caravan, if that body shape isnt looking more like an astro, I dont know what is.

gabequest

Post by gabequest »

Lets all have a moment of silence for the death of our good friend...the ASTRO/2005. The Uplander is a joke! The U.S does not produce a sport utility van, which surely would have a market.

I have a dream =D> ...that some day...the Astro will be resurrected!!! =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
The Offroad Package: [-o<
-4inch lift: Long travel, HD front suspension with slip yoke axle shafts (1ton), mega travel ball joints, manual hubs \:D/
-AWD,4HI,4LO Tcase \:D/
-Fancy powerful V6, V8, Diesel...whatever :-k
-Friggen T-Low's pop-top, with camper interior :heart:
-Same wheel base length, but 2inches wider (magically adapted sliding door) \:D/
-Body is 6inches longer in rear \:D/
-Skid plates and rockrails \:D/

Why Why WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?????????????????? :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
2004 Astro AWD
4inch Overland lift, 265/70/16, Poptop Colorado CamperVan, 11inch Roof Fan, Custom Bumper...more to come on the interior

T.Low

Post by T.Low »

Its hard to believe that the numbers just were'nt there to justify production. I see the darn things everywhere and they haven't built a new one for almost 5 years now.

You look at all the successful implementation of all the different versions of the Subaru wagon and ask why didn't GM offer some of those versions of the van? A low rider street Syclone/Typhoon version; a High Rider Zr2 version, a Westphalia version.

I really wish that i would have bought the Safari Condo camper version out of Qeubec back in '99 as a business vehicle when I owned my own business instead of my Dodge Dakota but #1; I didn't know about Safari Condo, and #2; I was blind to the attributes of the Astro at that time. Even though I always was interestd in the Vanagon, the Astro drove right by me every day of my life and I never noticed them! (Hangs head in shame :cry: )
ImageImageImageImage

afsigma21

Post by afsigma21 »

Your right, I see them all over the damn place, considering they have not been made in almost 5 years, its amazing how many are on the road.

What did Cargo Van users switch to? I mean locksmiths and utility companies etc etc? There is NO Alternative

T.Low

Post by T.Low »

There is nothing on the market today that compares.

Yesterday I went exploring old forest service roads in the mountains (again). I brought my dual sport on the back of the van to test out a new securement system(besides, it was still on there from the nite before), and my friend rode with me in the van, as his Sportsmobile is in the shop (again, poor guy).

We came to some roads that looked overgrown and that they would probably dead end like the others had already. I decided to take the dual sport and scout it real quick. To my suprise the road cleared a bit and went on for a long ways (housrs actually). I rode back to the van and told my friend to follow in my Astro (way behind as I was going 2.5 times faster on the bike) .

It was his first time driving it. He praised the nimbleness through the tight spots, the ride quality on the old unmaintained forest service roads ("it rides like a Cadilac compared to my Sportsmobile"), and the throttle response. It was really nice to hear the prasies, especially from a Sportsmoblie owner.

On the hour long ride home, we talked at length about the very same topic as this thread's OP. Nobody is making a midsize van, and why not? Europe does have the VW Euro Van Syncro with Portal axles, but its not coming to North America, and its $50k anyway. There is so much more that could have been done with the Astro. Makes ya wonder.

Mt Baker. 10,500' peak.
ImageImageImageImage

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Chemist ... I hear ya. If I ended up with a bucket load of children or need a replacement I basically have to settle for a larger Savana which does not look as nice either.

Saving you all the comparison because you all know it already .. but really what would you get to replace your Astro / Safari?

SUV? nawh ... not enough room, either eats more gas for more power or LESS power for slightly better mpg (remember driving style changes everything and these 4.3L V6 have nice power band ... well for me), etc.

Truck? nawh ... hard to fit 6 yet alone 8 comfortable; locked cargo room? parking length? Gas; etc.

Though a V8 would have been nice I do have to admit that the V6 gets the job done and well. The AWD still KICKS ass as I will prove once again to all the nice new vehicles out there during this winter yet again.

The list goes on. All the little stuff that breaks on my ride is age - so what. Fix her up!

The problem we have North America isnt just because we are making generic crap ... the problem is that the general folks who live here are always dreaming for better where as overseas they are HAPPY and enjoy life. Designers design for their living ... we design for what we "want" and what we want will always change.

The majority of "van" (ack dont kill me ... please) live a real life ... family with children, fun and or work :)
I have no clue why but my girlfriends bother just bought a V8 Silverado ZR1 ... single guy who wont make much use for it. It is a want thing and not a need thing.

(PS I had a Venture ... the Uplander yes ... was a joke and I when I saw that thing I was sure GM would take a hit ... blah. I take the Aztec over the Uplander hehe)
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by MountainManJoe »

The Chev Express comes in AWD, but I like the short wheelbase and compact size of the Astro.

Meterpig

Post by Meterpig »

I have owned this van now for just about four days.

Every time I jump in I think... "where have you been all my life!"

I have owned about 20 different vehicles and none of them can touch the van.

Now, if the van had a choice of AWD/4wd/2wd...that would be fantastic..much like the newer burbs came with.

And a V8 would be nice.
What do you think of my quest to swap transfer cases to the venerable BW4472?
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=9962

Photos including tear down for intake gaskets (PITA)
http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-xSjRG/i-bHzD6cz

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by MountainManJoe »

Amen brutha
:cheers:

Great A'Tuin

Post by Great A'Tuin »

After using the snot out of this thing this summer, I agree!
Why did GM ever stop building these things?
A buddy of mine even ditched his VW Westphalia Synchro in favor of a 99 AWD! :cheers:

john
john

2000 LS AWD
2.5" lift, 3.73 G80, Bilsteins, 235/75-15 Toyo A/T's, 2500 Brakes, Skid plate
Ultra-Gauge, Long/Tru-Cool tranny cooler, Electric fans, Bed Kit. 265,000 miles.