Rotors. pads

FROM STOCK TO WILD, BRAKE ISSUES AND UPGRADES GO HERE.

Topic author
jbird
I get chills without my van.

Rotors. pads

Post by jbird »

1994 astro. I'm doing new Rotors and pads and also the rear. My Van was Re-drilled ,so i'll be going back to 5x5.
Who do you think makes a good rotor?
And pads?

Kidhauler
I sleep in my van

Re: Rotors. pads

Post by Kidhauler »

I put "power slot" rotors on the front of my van and am very happy with them. They are grooved and have bigger cooling fins in the middle. I got sick of warping the stock rotors everytime you hit a long down hill or tow the travel trailer. I have had them on for 8-9 months and just did a big trip 3500km with the trailer and they show no signs of warping.

The down side is they are more than twice the price of stock. I could have got stock rotors for $75 each but the slotted ones were just over $150 a peice and that was with my company discount on the parts.

I beleive I just used AC delco pads but I can't remember off the top of my head.

I got all my parts at Lordco. Hope this helps.
1999 Safari Touring edition.
trailer tow pack with a 3:73 posi
Bucket bench seats, Rear heat, Rear Airconditioning.
teal green
300 000 kms
AirRide air bags in the rear to fix soft stock suspension.
Onboard aircompressor to make it all work nice.

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

Brembo Rotors, high quality parts that I fit to BMW`s and Mercedes everyday at my work, never had a problem.

If you choose cheaper brands, you will have problems.... Don`t cheap out on brakes, because they are important.
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc

ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by ihatemybike »

What do you mean redrilled?

I'll be putting on Raybestos Pro Grade rotors on Grumpy Thursday.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by astroturf »

ihatemybike, I just finished visiting the raybestos site. They have a pretty good line of products. Have you decided what type of pads yet? Thanks, Jim

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

I second Socalli's suggestion. I have Brembo rotors on my astro - If memory serves, I got them from tirerack.com. I may be mis-remembering though, that was at least 50K miles ago.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

Topic author
jbird

Post by jbird »

ihatemybike wrote:What do you mean redrilled?

I'll be putting on Raybestos Pro Grade rotors on Grumpy Thursday.
When i bought the van. the other owner had the Wheels redrilled for 5x114.3 lug pattern to fit a Front Wheel drive Wheel on the VAN KMC UNITS they where.. Now since i'm redoing the Susp. on the van. It's time for new stuff!

ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

astroturf wrote:Have you decided what type of pads yet? Thanks, Jim
Raybestos Pro Grade.

Already have them on the van, put them on last winter. One of the current rotors somehow developed a pitted section that I could feel while braking. Looked into having them turned, but for $20 turned vs $26 new I went the new route. Inspecting the pads I don't see any damage due to the pitted section. I'll inspect them again before I put the new rotors on, if anything doesn't look right I'll replace them too.
Aaron

1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

kings-x59 wrote:I have Brembo rotors on my astro - If memory serves, I got them from tirerack.com.
You are correct. I bought a set from them for my 98 AWD. Very high quality and went 40k+ and were still perfectly smooth. Only reason I removed them was to do the SAS.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by astroturf »

ihatemybike, How did your brake job go? Details, details, juicy details, please. Thanks, Jim

ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

Replacing rotors on an AWD van is really very easy. Not really deserving of a write up, but here goes.

Remove wheels
Use C-clamp to compress caliper
Remove caliper mounting bolts and caliper - I hang them with wire from upper control arm as to not let it hang by brake line.
Remove rotor - Usually just slides off, but if they haven't been off in forever they might need rubber mallet persuasion from the back side.
If the hub surface is obviously rusty, I use a wire wheel mounted in a drill to clean it up some.
Use brake cleaner to clean the backside of the rotor to be installed
Install rotor
Brake cleaner on the front side
Inspect/replace brake pads (Grumpy's looked fine)
Install caliper and mounting bolts
Install wheels
Start engine and pump brakes till pedal feels solid again
I'll then go for a short drive around the block to see how it feels, returning home if something isn't right.
If everything seems good, I head out to a road with little traffic and perform the brake bed in procedure.

Stopping with Grumpy is so smoooooth now and Grumpy appears to be getting slightly better gas mileage due to the brakes not catching on the funkiness of the old rotors.
Aaron

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by astroturf »

ihatemybike, Good to here. Thanks, Jim

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Another vote for the Brembo and Raybestos.

I have 2500HD Calipers on Brembo rotors and Raybestos Ceramic Pros ... good stopping power. Wish my rear-brakes were disc as well.
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"

Topic author
jbird

Post by jbird »

wheres a good place to go to get my hubs on my brake pads shaved down alittle.?
mach. shop?

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by astroturf »

jbird wrote:wheres a good place to go to get my hubs on my brake pads shaved down alittle.?
mach. shop?
Try this: http://www.procutinternational.com/zipfind.aspx Jim