I am so Ticked off - Rear Brakes

ANYTHING TO DO WITH MAKING YOUR VAN MOVE EXCEPT FOR THE ENGINE ITSELF.

Topic author
Drooler
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

I am so Ticked off - Rear Brakes

Post by Drooler »

Rear brakes making a "I ain't got no shoe left" sound. Bought drums, shoes, grease & hardware kit. Took off right side Wheel & drum - no problem - took off left wheel - can't get drum off. Comes off the axle but is hanging up on brake shoes I guess. Tried slipping skinny screw driver in adjustment hole in backing plate to release self adjusting lock but can barely get at adjusting star and I'm afraid of turning wrong way and getting brakes too tight. OH and to top it off dummy me backed the van into the carport never thinking about every time I hit the brakes it tried to "adjust" them. :cry:
Drooler
aka
HarryB
1988 Astro CL 172K miles Factory F&R Sway bars stock except
for 15x7 GM Alloys with 225x70 tires.
RIP 1994-2010 driven 140K. Time, wear, and my health sent it
to the trade in block 9/10/10.

Kidhauler
I sleep in my van

Re: I am so Ticked off - Rear Brakes

Post by Kidhauler »

Take a grinder to the little posts that hold the shoes back to the backing plate. Then you can just grab the drum and pull like a monkey and the shoes will pull away from the backing plate in one big mess. But since you have a new spring pack anyways you will not need the old studs.

You could probably use a drill to take the studs apart from the back if you don't have a grinder or a dremel. Also if it isn't too late do the ugly side first as you might need to look at the easy to remove side to make sure you have the springs run correctly.
1999 Safari Touring edition.
trailer tow pack with a 3:73 posi
Bucket bench seats, Rear heat, Rear Airconditioning.
teal green
300 000 kms
AirRide air bags in the rear to fix soft stock suspension.
Onboard aircompressor to make it all work nice.

rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

Kidhauler, that is one of the best methods I've ever heard. Kudos!

lockdoc
I sleep in my van

Post by lockdoc »

I agree. So simple. Wish I had thought of that in the past. Would have saved me a lot of grief. Not to mention bent backing plates from wedging pry bars between the drum and plate.
Current:
01 AWD - Stock
98 AWD - Stock
Past:
93 4WD - 305 V8 - 5" lift - 31" tires
98 4WD DHC - 10" lift - 33" tires - Onboard air and Hydraulics - Snowplow
92 RWD - 350 V8 - lowered - 97 front clip
92 RWD - 350 V8 - converted to AWD - V6
91 AWD - 350 V8 - conversion van
94 RWD - 350 V8 - sons van
92 RWD - stock - sons van
93 RWD Shorty - project
89 RWD Shorty - parts van

ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by ihatemybike »

Kidhauler wrote:Take a grinder to the little posts that hold the shoes back to the backing plate. Then you can just grab the drum and pull like a monkey and the shoes will pull away from the backing plate in one big mess.
So simple, so brilliant! Damn, I wish I would have heard this 7 years ago when I was destroying stuff pulling my 1994's brakes apart trying to get it ready in time far a trip down to Florida.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

Is the adjuster backed off all the way?
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc

Topic author
Drooler
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Drooler »

SoCalli - no that was the problem I couldn't get the thing to back off. The Pass side came right off but the Drivers side was really hung up.
All - Man that sounded like a good idea but has anyone ever done it? I cannot see how all that metal (brake shoes, connector link, adjuster, etc) is going to get by the axle flange. After pullling the easy side again and looking at it I just could not see that working.
I chickened out and took it to a shop today. They said it woud be easy to just back off the adjuster - when I picked it up they said they had a hard time getting the adjuster back - so I dont feel quite so much like a failure.
but really thanks for the suggestions - and I figure that a hammer and cold chisle could shear those heads off - so I'm thinking to hit my friendly you pull it place, tighten down an adjuster, shear those heads off and give it a try :yikes: better have a disaster in a junk yard than my front yard.....
Thanks again all
Drooler
aka
HarryB
1988 Astro CL 172K miles Factory F&R Sway bars stock except
for 15x7 GM Alloys with 225x70 tires.
RIP 1994-2010 driven 140K. Time, wear, and my health sent it
to the trade in block 9/10/10.

lockdoc
I sleep in my van

Post by lockdoc »

Now that I think of it have pulled the whole shebang off before. My 56 Cheby had the front shoes rusted permanently. I eventually pulled the whole assembly off. That was gorilla warfare though. Never thought of it afterwords.
Current:
01 AWD - Stock
98 AWD - Stock
Past:
93 4WD - 305 V8 - 5" lift - 31" tires
98 4WD DHC - 10" lift - 33" tires - Onboard air and Hydraulics - Snowplow
92 RWD - 350 V8 - lowered - 97 front clip
92 RWD - 350 V8 - converted to AWD - V6
91 AWD - 350 V8 - conversion van
94 RWD - 350 V8 - sons van
92 RWD - stock - sons van
93 RWD Shorty - project
89 RWD Shorty - parts van

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

man I'm glad I don't live in rock salt country...or it's southern alternate, FL.
If you turn the adjustment star the wrong way, you'll know in short order as it won't turn anymore. Turn it the other way then. The drums will rust onto the axle hub, a few raps from a good 22 oz framing hammer will take care of that. A spare pair of hands to cover your ears are handy, just don't warn your assistant before hand.... :D
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

Kidhauler
I sleep in my van

Post by Kidhauler »

I had one of the studs break off on my old truck I bought when I was 16. When I pulled the drum the one shoe came with it and all the springs went shooting everywhere. Sure made my first ever brake job more difficult.
1999 Safari Touring edition.
trailer tow pack with a 3:73 posi
Bucket bench seats, Rear heat, Rear Airconditioning.
teal green
300 000 kms
AirRide air bags in the rear to fix soft stock suspension.
Onboard aircompressor to make it all work nice.

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

To back off the adjuster, you have to push out the adjusting arm (from the stepped wheel) and turn the adjuster in the right direction.
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc