New Member From Colorado

Introduce yourself
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
57BUDDii
I am merely driving my van

New Member From Colorado

Post by 57BUDDii »

Hi everyone.

New to the site, not new to Astros or online forums. I normally hang my hat at trifive.com. My newest projects are 57 Chevrolets.

We bought our first Astro AWD back in 98. It was a 97 lease return with less than 20K miles on it. The kids were getting bigger so we needed to get out of the dodge mini van scene. The room was great....towing the tent trailer was better but the gas mileage was a short setback. Just a quick note on the mini van.....I lifted it 2", not for off road, but to hold the load. I put a full leaf in the back and found some Moog springs that brought the front up to a nice level stance. I could step on the back hitch and the van wouldn't go down. So, we weren't that family headed down the road with the rear tires rubbing and dragging the bumper.....you seen em! [-X

The 97 was cooking along fine and then the trans went out. Took it back to the dealer under their extended warranty to have it fixed. First time I bought extended warranty; they made an offer I couldn't refuse. I had my own financing, but they said if I used their money folks they would drop interest by 1 full percent. That payed for the extended warranty. Got the van back after being there for over a week. I went by everyday to see my van not moved. I asked them to put in a GM tranny. Nope, they said they rebuilt it and charged the extended warranty company $2,600. I wasn't happy, but got my van back. 13 months later, the trany did the same thing. They wouldn't warranty it ...even after I called the general service manager and let him know that they weren't doing me any favors. I went to the chevy dealer and bought the tranny and put it in myself. The van reached 100K and we went shopping for a newer model.

We came home with an 01 Astro AWD in Aug of 02. It only had 1,200 miles on it and I went over it with a fine tooth comb. I crawled under it and no stone was unturned. The salesman said he had never seen someone look so intent at a vehicle. My wife said, you don't know my husband. :) I couldn't figure out how an 01 with all the cardboard NEW car tabs still in place have 1,200 miles, being sold as used and being sold near the end of the following year of manufacture. We didn't trade in the 97, they didn't want it...or it could be that I wouldn't take the $3,000 they offered me for it. I told them I could drive it for two years and sell it for more. Now six years later and 32K more miles, I was hoping to sell it for $3,000 since it is in real nice shape....

The 01 has 145K on it and we are looking for a newer Astro. We don't need 3 vans.

Now the sad news :cry: This Saturday, I decided to change the oil and put on a new distributor cap. Things were going fine; I drained the oil and started on the cap. I did the Indy Pit Stop and had the wires back on. I reached over and decided to fire it up and see how it ran. I raced the motor a few times and then realized that there was NO oil in it. I shut it off, put oil in and it wouldn't crank over. Then I felt sick in my stomach for doing such a bone head mistake. :vom: I let the engine cool for a few hours and then it started. Wow, I dodged the bullet on this one. But, on the second day home from work I noticed the oil gauge drop as I turned into my housing area. Then as I turned onto my street the knock was heard. Suddenly that sick feeling came back.

So, now I am at a cross roads.... I found this site and decided to join. I can try to pull the pan and replace rod bearings hoping to get a few more miles on her, sell it out right or part it. So, in the next few days as I try to figure out what I am going to do, I will start a new thread when I decide a plan. It could be a "Hey I drained my oil, ran it and put rod bearings in and am on the road" or a classified or parting out post.

:withstupid: :dunce: .......I sure deserve the knuckle head of the year award for last Saturday's performance...Hope you ALL will have me as a part of the form! I promise I won't try that stunt again!
BUDDii

01 Astro -White 185K (Momma's)
01 Yukon XL SKT Autoride - Green 112K
97 Chrysler LHS White 211K (For Sale)
97 Astro 132K (Ran out of oil once!) FOR SALE
93 Toyota Camry
68 Dodge Charger -Yellow (2nd Owner, 110K miles. 383 AT on flr) Not for sale!
57Chevrolet 2dr HT BelAir
57 Chevrolet 4dr HT 210 (Not a Bel Air; one of 26K made in 57)
57 Chevrolet 4dr Sedan 150 (Undocumented 4dr Utility; No back seat)
57 Chevrolet 4dr Sedan 210 (Donor for 150)

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: New Member From Colorado

Post by astrozam »

Welcome to ASV Buddii, nice intro :cheers:

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

Welcome! :bounce:

Sorry to hear about your mistake. (Realize you are with a group where each member has their own tale of woe.)

The obvious answer is V-8 SWAP! :muhaha:
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

T.Low
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by T.Low »

Welcome. Yeah, thats quite an intro. I've done a lot of bone headed things...but luckily for me I'm not smart enough to remember most of them.
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

Yeah, V8 swap sounds good.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

Topic author
57BUDDii

Post by 57BUDDii »

Aaron,

Does the V-8 require oil? HA Not sure I want to take on that big of a project. I have 3 57 Chevies and a toyota Tercel SR5 wagon is my "Off-Road" vehicle for now. Soon as I get the pistons in...I will slap the motor together, pull the old one and YES, I will be sure to add oil!

I've been reading some posts on the site... looks like a very friendly and helpful site.

I thought i was the only one with a couple Astro vans and an LHS! My daily driver is a 97 LHS.
BUDDii

93 Toyota Camry

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Welcome to the site, Budd. It sounds like you will fit in real good with all of the rest of us misfits. I too recommend the V8 swap. It's not that hard. You know the 4.3 is a small block V8 minus two cylinders. They almost bolt right in. Different motor mounts. A little tweeking on the cooling system. And some wiring. It's been done so many times that it is almost common. All the guys here in the V8 Club will be happy to help. Anyway, welcome aboard.
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Topic author
57BUDDii

Post by 57BUDDii »

smilesafari,

Thanks for the words of encouragement and the offer of support to install the v-8.

I am trying to clean out my fix and sell projects and start working on my 57 Chevies. So I don't know if I want to commit to the added project. Sounds fun, looks fun and I can see my Astro up a few inches and having the power to get there.

I posted on the trifive.com site my silly mistake. http://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34950

One guy was quick to post a link to http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/AstroVan_V-8.html
I read up on the brief add, and it looks pretty easy. But I know that you that have greased and cut your knuckles on this can offer tons of great support. So if I do it, you will be the first place I will turn.

For my sake, I hope I don't run into an Astro or Safari this weekend that has a v-8 and lifted at least 4" \:D/
BUDDii

93 Toyota Camry

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Welcome! Great intro and yeah we all have done some dumb things with vehicles. I'll say 350 swap is the right way to go. Nice fleet you have too!
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

57BUDDii wrote:I thought i was the only one with a couple Astro vans and an LHS! My daily driver is a 97 LHS.
If I can get to my brother's house this weekend maybe we'll actually get the LHS going again. It threw the timing belt a couple years back and he just parked it. Luckily it's a non-interference engine.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

Rebel
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Welcome to ASV's. Have some fun and spend some bucks. :muhaha:
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

BREAK
I am smitten with my van

Post by BREAK »

57BUDDii wrote:I thought i was the only one with a couple Astro vans and an LHS! My daily driver is a 97 LHS.
Sorry to hear about your van, and REALLY sorry to hear you have and LHS too :yawinkle:
Image Image

1995 2WD Astro 165K+
2000 AWD Astro 142K+, fully loaded

1995 Dodge 2500HD V10 4X4 reg cab 75K+, BFG all terrains (nice truck, everything is perfect on it)
1994 Honda Magna 4K+

Topic author
57BUDDii

Post by 57BUDDii »

LiftedAWSAstro, I love your camping counter for 2009. For the 350 swap, are people going with carbs? Plus, will the v-6 transfer handle granny driving?

Aron, Good luck on the LHS, we are getting snow this weekend.

Rebel, Looks like you spent enough bucks for the both of us. If you have some extra, I can help you spend them! :bounce:

Break, If you put a lift on your LHS, then it may be worth something. My LHS has 200K+ miles and is real nice. That is until it dies and goes to the crusher.

All, thanks for the great welcome! =D>
BUDDii

93 Toyota Camry

Rebel
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Rebel, Looks like you spent enough bucks for the both of us. If you have some extra, I can help you spend them!
:muhaha:

Wouldn't have a clue,,,trashed the receipts before I got home. :yawinkle:
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

57BUDDii wrote:For my sake, I hope I don't run into an Astro or Safari this weekend that has a v-8 and lifted at least 4" \:D/
great intro, welcome to the site ..

as for your above quote... where's peter when you need him? (his van is linked below)

budd, you've come to the wrong place to not run into one (or more than one) LOL .. check out this bad boy --> http://www.astrosafarivans.com/vom/vom-2008-04.htm
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*