Replacing hoses to my rear heater and AC

HVAC, heating, cooling, air handling. Anything air temp related.

Topic author
gary
I am merely driving my van

Replacing hoses to my rear heater and AC

Post by gary »

The ends of the hoses at the connectors about mid-way to the back of my 2002 astro are cracked and leaking.

Can I just disconnect them at the fitting (catching the dexacoolant of course), cut them a little to get a fresh end and then reconnect and refill?

It looks like there is enough slack to do this verse buying new hoses. If not enough slack, could I just put another piece in the lines?

There are 4 hoses running to the back, with 3 of the connectors leaking. Do all 4 of the hoses carry antifreeze?

Thanks for any help.
Gary

Topic author
gary

Re: Replacing hoses to my rear heater and AC

Post by gary »

oooPs, correction, I do not have rear AC, just a rear heater that 4 hoses run to.

Can I just cut and trim the end of these?

Gary

rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

I have no idea why there's 4, but I see no reason why you can't splice them. I put a prestone flushing T in one of mine whn it was leaking, easy and handy fix.

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

You might get away with a bandaid fix but know that any shortcuts will at some point in the future return to bite you in the a$$. And at a most inconvenient time. #-o Winter is just around the corner. Do you really want to shortcut your heater? :-k
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Topic author
gary

Post by gary »

Got it done. I don't take shortcuts with bandaid fixes. This is on a J&J conversion 2002 AWD Astro that I really take good care of. I always keep the fluids fresh with quality products such as Amsoil. As a matter of fact, when I bought the van new, the first thing I did was spray amsoil metal protector through-out the body panels and frame and after 8 years of Michigan Winters there is absolutely no rust anywhere on the van.

Anyway, this is a great site with lots of great info and support.

Thanks again
Gary

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Glad to hear it, Gary. We're on the same page. My Safari gets whatever it needs. It's probably the most pampered vehicle I've owned. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle