H3 Hummer

Non technical and off-topic discussion

Topic author
Jinmajay
I sleep in my van

H3 Hummer

Post by Jinmajay »

I wanted to get my friends opinion on the H3. I have been looking for a newer vehicle for myself but really don't like the GM's line up on SUV's. While out looking on a used lot I saw the H3. I really like how it looks, interior, clearance and even though they are a bunch of money (18-20K for a previously enjoyed one). I think it beats anything in the class for the cost.

For those that don't know, the H3 uses the GM's I5 engine. These are in the new Colorado Trucks. The Engine and Transmission is GM and the rest is Hummer. The early I5' had bad head problems and this falls in the 2006 H3 from what I have heard. They were a 3.5L. the new engine is a 3.7L (2007 on).

Do you have any info on either the H3 or the 3.7L engine.

http://www.hutchesonford.com/usedinvent ... E378232421
I would love to get this one but it's a bit out of my range.
The Tran man http://jayjensen.shutterfly.com/action/

1994 AWD GMC Safari, V8 truck van project
1998 2WD Astro
1999 AWD Astro

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: H3 Hummer

Post by Smiliesafari »

I think the last sentence in your post sums it up. Put the money you'd spend on a different vehicle into your project. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

GnarliSafari
I sleep in my van

Post by GnarliSafari »

hummer is a gm brand these days and i believe the 3.7l is an isuzu engine which is also in the gm family. i do not know this for a fact but i would imagine the h3 has a chevy, gmc or maybe even a saturn counterpart that would have all the same features but be a little bit cheaper because all you are paying for is a name. hummers are not the legendary war vehicles they once were, they are now a mass produced rebadged gm vehicle. i wouldnt buy it just because says its a hummer, shop around a little first.
99 SLT Safari AWD, G80/GT4 rear, Burgundy, 196,000 and counting (strictly AMSOIL) flowmaster 40series muffler no more cat, K&N Kone Filter, roll pan, 255/60/15 rubbers mounted to 15x8.5 inch American Racing Tailgunner wheels, billet grille, CB Radio, Alpine Deck, Shag carpet, the list goes on....
03 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, LB7 Duramax Diesel, 5 speed Allison Tranny, Crew Cab Long Bed, no muffler or cat, 4 inch turbo back and side piped. not too many other mods yet, also addicted to AMSOIL.

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

GnarliSafari wrote:hummers are not the legendary war vehicles they once were, they are now a mass produced rebadged gm vehicle. i wouldnt buy it just because says its a hummer
i'm with smilie on this one .. 99% of the people around my area with the H2 or H3 seem to drive it as more of a flag waving 'lookit me, i've got more money than you' ... the most off-road use they see is when while playing with their GPS to find the nearest starbucks and they gradually swerve to the right and accidently touch the gravel on the shoulder.. LOL

i never really have even seen the hp/torque/towing specs flaunted.. for the money i'd find a low mile 04 AWD astro/safari and put a little lift and some beefer tires under it.. but hey.. maybe i'm biased LOL 8-[
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

The H3's are actually a decent vehicle. They run basically on the Colorado chassis except they have 4.56 gears, rear locker, 33" tires and full skid plates. They are heavy at 4700# and only 220 hp, 225 torque so mileage and acceleration will be dismal.

Personally, I would buy a Jeep Rubicon Unlimited before an H3. You get front AND rear lockers and a 4:1 transfer case plus about the same interior room as the H3. They also have beefier solid axles that are Dana 44's.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

remark123
I get chills without my van.

Post by remark123 »

H3 is totally a Colorado. They are made in Shreveport on the same line. I remember back in '02 when I still worked at the General, we were protoing an H3 while we finished the pilot production on the Colorado. Hummer is being sold (if it hasn't already) to some Chinese Company (Shainghi Heavy Metal or some other incomprehensible name) at this time, GM will continue to build them under contract until transition is complete. One of my buddies from GM called me the other day to see if I was interested in coming to work for the "New" Hummer, I haven't made up my mind yet... I kinda like my new place here in Louisville, I finally landed employment with Marmon-Herrington All Wheel Drive here. This place is like a giant toy store. We upfit class 7.8.and 9 Heavy trucks with transfer cases and front drive axles. We did the conversions on Robbie Gordon's 3 Freightliner chase vehicles, let me tell you those were pretty impressive! I would imagine though that they would be pretty difficult to drive, but then they were made for the Safari Rally that started in Argentina a couple of weeks ago. We have a Cougar military vehicle in here right now that we just updated with a 4 link suspension, front and rear. Pretty neat stuff, I tell ya! Check out our website at www.Marmon-Herrington.com if you are interested!

Mark :bounce:
1991 Hartland EXT with Z motor. Only 190K miles on mostly original parts.

Topic author
Jinmajay
I sleep in my van

Post by Jinmajay »

I generally don't ever go against the popular vote from you all but....

I got me a 2007 H3 Hummer this weekend! :muhaha: :D

I got it at a Ford Dealer below trade in value (as seen on Edmunds). Very, Very happy. It is an awesome ride. It is almost too nice to take off road. I will say you can do nice clean doughnuts this them. My back yard looks like a bowl of Cheerios.

This engine is the supped up version. It is a 3.7L 242 HP and has no issues with power. I got 19 MPG with it bringing it home Saturday. The brakes are really touchy compared to my 86 nova. All the fancy stuff that it came with scares me a little. It something were to go out, not sure I could fix it. Everything is connected electronically. You can program the door locks by pressing the lock button for three seconds and then program through the digital display. There is three or four settings for locking an unlocking the doors automatically. the self dimming rear view mirror is a trip and the staring system is wild. Does all new GM vehicles have that auto start feature? It is hard to get used to. I want to keep the key switch on until it starts.

It has a very sporty ride with stiff steering. I think my 2001 K1500 rides better but the Hummer is an off road vehicle.

Any way I love it so far. Keep in mind I haven’t had a new (newer) vehicle ever so it is easy to impress me. Make me feel better and give me some love :heart: here... Anyone near or driving through Columbia Missouri gets a free test ride.
:)

1998 2WD Astro
1999 AWD Astro

1Gary

Post by 1Gary »

Pic's of your new ride would be cool.
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

Topic author
Jinmajay
I sleep in my van

Post by Jinmajay »

1998 2WD Astro
1999 AWD Astro

Topic author
Jinmajay
I sleep in my van

Post by Jinmajay »

Woow, what happpened?

1998 2WD Astro
1999 AWD Astro

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Congrats on the purchase. =D> It's nice driving a new(er) vehicle. The payment sucks but whatcha gonna do? :D
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

all the best man.. enjoy your new purchase!! =D>
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*

1Gary

Post by 1Gary »

That is very nice.Congrats and enjoy the ride. =D> =D>
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

Topic author
Jinmajay
I sleep in my van

Post by Jinmajay »

99 AWD stro next to the Hummer

Please, no comments on the Ford plate! #-o
More on the website in link below.

1998 2WD Astro
1999 AWD Astro

Topic author
Jinmajay
I sleep in my van

Post by Jinmajay »

All the photo's are ready now on my website. I had to "share" them.

1998 2WD Astro
1999 AWD Astro