newb from ottawa ontario

Introduce yourself
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
szabotage
I am merely driving my van

newb from ottawa ontario

Post by szabotage »

just a quick hello, I own an 86 safari and have nothing but problems with it. hoping you guys have the knowledge to help me out :cheers:

mike

potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: newb from ottawa ontario

Post by potskie »

Nothing but problems? You sure it's a safari and not an aerostar? :muhaha:

Welcome to the site and you'll find your answers here for sure.
Image 98 Safari RWD. Stock.
Do you smell what Barack is cookin ?!?!

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by astroturf »

Welcome aboard, and fire away (questions) that is. Jim

Topic author
szabotage

Post by szabotage »

haha, thanks for the welcome. mechanically, it's fine, but it's an old van and has lil electrical problems like door locks, turn signals and wipers, etc. aside from all the creature comfort problems, it runs great!

PS, I've owned an aerostar and have gone through trannies like you wouldn't believe. one of the reasons I switched to GM although I may have to lose the corp 10 bolt since it'll be for towing duty. I may swap a ford 9 or 8.8 into the rear and lose the fiberglass leafs while I'm at it. I also have a TH400 with a dana 20 transfer case I may look into swapping. twinstick the t case and drive the front output into a PTO accessory (that is if I don't turn this thing into a 4x4)

anywhoo, looking forward to picking your guy's brains :poke:

Grover
I am smitten with my van

Post by Grover »

Hi welcome to the forum! Too bad you live down that neck of Ontario a buddy of mine runs an automotive electrical shop, he could probably fix you up. In the meantime, I can let you in on a couple of things.

He told me that Safari's/Astro Vans have a notorious problem with the wiper motor circuit board, the board has to be resoldered and a proper grounding wire has to be installed, this a problem straight from GM.

As far as the door locks go, the solenoid is probably is shot.. not difficult to fix if you know how to take the inner door panel off.

The turn signal problem can be any number of things, the switch inside the column could be a culprit.

Enjoy your stay!