interior lighting

ANYTHING FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT TO REPLACING A DASH PANEL

Topic author
thefrog747
I am smitten with my van

interior lighting

Post by thefrog747 »

Before I start taking off door panel etc. I would like to know if the light bulb in the door window/lock switchs is replaceable or you have to buy a new switch. Both window switchs in the drivers door are out but the lock and power mirror work. My Ride is a 97 Safari that I just got and it bugs me that these lights are out !! Trivial I know !! LOL I also have headlight issues that I'll let the dealer fix....it was certified with no low bean lights { and it's not a case of blown bulbs as the daytime running lights work} , the rear right tire had such a belt seperation you couldn't drive over 90k and the sliding door froward latch is totally missing !! I quite checking things after that and decided to bring it back...

Topic author
thefrog747
I am smitten with my van

Re: interior lighting

Post by thefrog747 »

I have to learn how to spell.....

Kabey's Van
I sleep in my van

Post by Kabey's Van »

That's;
I "do" have to learn how to spell.

Only one period is necessary.

:cheers:

CaptSquid
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by CaptSquid »

DRLs use the high-beam element, not the low-beam element.
Yes, the bulbs are replaceable. Go to Radio Shack and look for Grain-of-Wheat bulbs.
Mike, Billings, MT, 'MERICA!
92 Safari SLE w/Z Motor (sold to a good home)
98 AWD Stro LS
93 Suburban Silverado 4x4

Look for the MISSING Alien in the Right Seat. AL, PHONE HOME!!!

ImageImage

rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

CaptSquid wrote:DRLs use the high-beam element, not the low-beam element.
Not so on Astro/Safaris with composite headlamps. They definately use the low beam. I don't know about the sealed beams. My wife's 99 has DRLs.

GnarliSafari
I sleep in my van

Post by GnarliSafari »

for what they are worth rather than replacing the l.e.d.s in the switches i would just go get some new ones from the junkyard. get a list of needed parts and if you purchase larger items they will normally throw small things like that in.
99 SLT Safari AWD, G80/GT4 rear, Burgundy, 196,000 and counting (strictly AMSOIL) flowmaster 40series muffler no more cat, K&N Kone Filter, roll pan, 255/60/15 rubbers mounted to 15x8.5 inch American Racing Tailgunner wheels, billet grille, CB Radio, Alpine Deck, Shag carpet, the list goes on....
03 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, LB7 Duramax Diesel, 5 speed Allison Tranny, Crew Cab Long Bed, no muffler or cat, 4 inch turbo back and side piped. not too many other mods yet, also addicted to AMSOIL.

Topic author
thefrog747
I am smitten with my van

Post by thefrog747 »

To further inform on my headlight issues , when you turn the lights rotory switch two postions to "on" only the high beam works. If you click the turn indicater to low beam they just go out. The wierd aspect of this is when you turn the rotory switch to what would be parking lights the low beam works but also the tail lights that I didn't think should work with just parking lights. With the rotory switch off I still have DRL's. I've also found out that the steering colunm was changed to hopefully fix the wiper situation as they only work full bore !!! It didn't fix it so they charnged the wiper motor...that didn't fix it either. I hope the wrench was smart enough to verify the donor parts worked first !!

Topic author
thefrog747
I am smitten with my van

Post by thefrog747 »

Kabey's Van wrote:That's;
I "do" have to learn how to spell.

Only one period is necessary.

:cheers:
Thanks Mr. Kabey..... ( LOL)

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

When the light switch is turned to the first on position, you should get both front and rear parking or running lights. This includes the tail lights. The DRL's should go out as well if I remember correctly. When the switch is turned to the second on position the running lights as well as head lights should be on.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
thefrog747
I am smitten with my van

Post by thefrog747 »

LiftedAWDAstro wrote:When the light switch is turned to the first on position, you should get both front and rear parking or running lights. This includes the tail lights. The DRL's should go out as well if I remember correctly. When the switch is turned to the second on position the running lights as well as head lights should be on.
Wierd...in the first "on" postion I have the outside lights on the composite head lights . At no time on the switch can I make the parking lights come on. On one hand I'd like to say it's the dimmer switch as the steering colum was changed to fix the intermitant wipers. That didn't work either. Logic tells me it should be the switch intself and to tell the truth I don't know how to test either without just (new) parts replacement !!! LOL