...and yet another Okie jumps in.

Introduce yourself
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
speedy
I am merely driving my van

...and yet another Okie jumps in.

Post by speedy »

Howdy from Tulsa. Found the site while looking for answers about not having brake lights in a '93 Safari. Found and remedied the situation. Not the usual issue. White wire under steering column wore off at connector.
Still trying to figure out which wire to hook the tach up to though. Think it is another white one. Manual says there is a white one that is the tach test lead. We'll see. Any help would be appreciated.
Grew up in Tulsa, class of Central '68, USAF 1969-1973, OSU till '77, large oil company '78-'02, retail three yrs, manufacturing three yrs, now laid off again. Have a beautiful wife, three children, youngest is 32 next month. Three step chillin youngest is 30 in Aug. Eleven grand chillin with one in the hangar. A BOY! Ride a '99 Road Star, an '08 Royal Star tour deluxe, not at the same time. And purchased this fine old '93 Safari bout 9 months ago. Not equipped with an airbag, or third brake light. 125,000 miles. I am third owner. 4.3 v6. Body is in great shape and so is interior. Red on Red. Wife says it's ugly, but she sure likes to ride in it.
If anyone can help with tach wiring and how is best way to hook up pigtail for trailer wiring. Hiding wires I mean.

Take care and thanks for having me.
SS

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: ...and yet another Okie jumps in.

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Welcome speedy! I think we are being invaded by the OK boys! :yikes: :muhaha:

Not sure but the tach wire may be under the dog house near the coil.

Look through the "Towing" section for location of the wires and how to wire. I originally used a connector in the right rear area and ran the wires under the rear doors when towing.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Welcome to the site, Speedy. Glad to see another Old Timer here. I wired my trailer connector just like Dean's. When it's not in use I tuck it in with the jack. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

Welcome Speedy from just south of your local!
check around the distributor for a wire with a disconnect in the middle of it. Mine routes from the distributor off to the right when viewed from the inside (doghouse removed).
I'm not sure about the '93, but on my '89, the disconnect has a dual plug, only one of which is used in the stock configuration. The empty part of the plug is for a tachometer signal wire.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

youngest is 32 next month
:-k Lets see,,that means you'll be going to Little League games when you're how old ? :yawinkle:
relax,,,been there,,done that but are ya sure it's 32 months and not 32 years ? :muhaha:
Welcome,,hang around awhile,,lots of great folks here. Class of 66 on this end. :whistle:

Oh yes,,it is the white wire for the tach.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

Topic author
speedy

Post by speedy »

Thanks for the hep. Yep looks like an okie invasion don't it? Yep the son is definitely 32 years old. Man where does it go? Know exactly where Cypress is. Lived in Katy for almost 20 years. Still have a daugther, two grandbabies, son-in-law there. 32 yr old son is in Bryan-College Station going back to school.

Thanks again folks SS

Rebel
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

I missed the word next,,sorry,,thought you had a 32 month old. That would be as hoot for our age for sure.
Glad to have you with us.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

Topic author
speedy

Post by speedy »

I figured you missed somethin.
Thanks again for the welcome. Mile 96 marker on the east or west side. You talking about I10?

SS

Rebel

Post by Rebel »

South side of I-65 about 75 Miles north of Mobile.

VIDEO