Trans fluid and filter change

ANYTHING RELATED TO MANUAL OR AUTO TRANSMISSIONS GOES HERE.

Topic author
Rileysowner
I plan to be buried in my van

Trans fluid and filter change

Post by Rileysowner »

I need to do this and I have never done it. My question is this does a new o-ring come with the filter. When reading through the instructions the whole process looks pretty clear, remove the pan, remove the filter, remove the o-ring. Clean surfaces when gasket was. Clean out pan. put on new o-ring, filter, gasket and pan. Tighten bolts and re-fill with fluid. I have the filter and gasket in a sealed package. I am just wondering about the o-ring. Don't really want to start something like this, and then not have what I need :)
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Trans fluid and filter change

Post by kings-x59 »

Yes, a new O ring comes with the filter. There is high probability that the old O ring will not come out when you pull the old filter. A small pick comes in handy for getting it out. You may find that the bolts on the rear of the pan are difficult to get to, depending on the position of the trans mount on the cross member. I just did my trans filter this past weekend. I had to loosen the mount bolts and raise the trans a bit to get to the bolts.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

Topic author
Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

Thanks for the answer and the possible gottcha on this. It is usually these things that are annoying when you are doing a job the first time that you know every time after.
Jim

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

The old O ring will stick pretty good. I believe it has a metal ring inside it. A flashlight helps to get a bead on it. I had to work a pick in behind this last one and essentially collapse it inward, then it just fell out.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve

Topic author
Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

Great, that sounds annoying. The instructions make it sound like you just reach in and it will come out. I should know better than to think that it would be that easy.
Jim

Rebel
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

how many miles on your van ? If the entire fluid hasn't been changed out, you may want to flush the whole system. After doing this, you can do the filter change and add a few quarts in the future. I've got to flush my whole system in my Jimmy real soon.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

Topic author
Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

Thanks for the suggestion Rebel. I have thought of a fluid swap, but I have read various opinions as to the worth of it. I think at this point I will stick to a filter and the change of whatever is in the pan. I have what I need for it except for the fluid, and it is cheap enough I could still do a trans fluid swap in a year if I so desired.
Jim

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

Last thoughts: If you do have to loosen up the trans mount to get to the back bolts on the pan, pull back on the mount before you tighten it up and you might find that you can get a socket on the pan bolts back there.
Have fun...it's a really grubby job.

name's Steve

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

So? How'd it go? getanyonya?

name's Steve

Topic author
Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

Haven't had the chance to get at it. Probably won't until Monday, if it doesn't rain or something else doesn't come up. I forgot to get the rear seal (where the drive shaft inserts into the Transmission) today and I sort of what to do that at the same time since I am under there anyway.
Jim

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

K, have some thoughts on that as well. You can try the pvc pipe approach to get that seal set correctly or...
I suggest that you remove the drive shaft, and remove the tail shaft housing and set the seal with a block of wood and a hammer so it goes in flat, undamaged and sets correctly, while removed from the transmission. As a bonus, it will make removing the old seal easier as well. Get the torque specs for reinstall of everything, it's a few bolts, some thread locker, a tail shaft housing gasket, and one or two less trips to the autoparts and hardware store. [some disassembly required, batteries not included]

[edit] yeesh a remembery is a terrible thing to lose... also the rear seal and the fluid change don't have to be done at the same time. You will lose some fluid in removing the tail shaft housing (ounces), but the bulk of it resides in the pan and the torque converter.

name's Steve

Topic author
Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

Thanks, I will consider that although it sounds like a bit more work. Of course if I mess up the seal . . .

I also ordered a drain valve kit, I just have to figure out where to place it on the pan. Installation on that looks easy enough, drill 1/2" hole some place where the bung won't interfere with the tranny, deburr the hole, put on the bung, and remount the pan as usual. Is there anything other than the filter I would need to worry about interfering with?
Jim

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

A tranny pan drain plug is a beautiful thing.
Here are the gotchas on that one. I effed up the first bung. the threads are soft and I stripped them. got another one and found after careful measuring that the pan would not go back on the trans due to a clearance problem with the newly installed bung.
Measure carefully and think about it copiously. I have a pan with a drain plug that I bought from TCI, due to my bungling with the stock pan.
Get some high temp rtv sealant and seal that bung well and let it set up before you fill the pan.

name's Steve

rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

I put in one of those bolt in trans pan drain plugs, and wasn't impressed. It leaked, didn't drain the pan all the way since it stuck up into the pan quite a ways, would spin in the hole, and rusted like crazy. If I ever am inclined to install a drain plug in a trans pan again, I will cut the bung out of an old oil pan and weld it into the trans pan so it will actually work as I hoped. I put it in the back corner that was lowest when on the ramps.

Maybe you will have a better go at it than I did, best of luck.

Topic author
Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

rlsllc wrote:I put in one of those bolt in trans pan drain plugs, and wasn't impressed. It leaked, didn't drain the pan all the way since it stuck up into the pan quite a ways, would spin in the hole, and rusted like crazy. If I ever am inclined to install a drain plug in a trans pan again, I will cut the bung out of an old oil pan and weld it into the trans pan so it will actually work as I hoped. I put it in the back corner that was lowest when on the ramps.

Maybe you will have a better go at it than I did, best of luck.
That doesn't sound very hopeful. I will see what happens. I guess worst case it does not work and I end up purchasing a new pan. I don't really mind if it doesn't drain the pan completely as I have to take the pan off anyway to change the filter when I do a trans service, but was hoping it would allow that without having to simply pry off the one corner of the pan and hope you catch most of the fluid as it comes out. I am expecting this will be a messy job.
Jim