Cad. Tail Install

ANYTHING FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT TO REPLACING A DASH PANEL

Topic author
Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Cad. Tail Install

Post by Rebel »

Since AS is down, think I'll start posting here instead. Fillers came in yesterday and I'm once again amazed at how anyone can hand make these things to fit so well and are almost mirror images of each other. There are some slight difference and some trimming will need to be done but no big deal.

The first pic shows the plastic bucket you will see after removing the lens. The rivets that hold the Astro buckets in will need to be drilled out with a 1/4 bit. Don't try to rush the drilling or you'll spin the rivet.

This next pic shows one of the rivets drilled. After drilling,,you'll need to push what's left of the rivet down to make enough clearence to pull plastic bucket out of body opening.

This is the plastic bucket after being removed.

This next pic is what you'll see after removing bucket.

Next I placed the Cad. bucket from Suicidedoor and marked the upper section that I will cut out with an airsaw.
Lower section to be cut out.

This next pic is showing the Cad. bucket with tails inside. This gives you and idea of how much has to be removed to allow the bucket to recess deep enough inside body.

This next one isn't pretty at all but shows the opening after enough of the back was removed to recess Cad. bucket. On the other side I think by using a 2.5 in. hole saw and by drilling 3 holes will give the room needed and be much cleaner.

Here are a couple of shots of the fillers. Amazing. I'd give anything to be able to work metal like this.

This will show you how close they are. Notice the top will need to be trimmed and also the right edge but that's not a big deal.
The gap you see on the upper right is caused by excess metal on the right edge of filler being against hinge. After trimming everything up, looks like all will be just about right.
You can also see the very top edge will also have to be trimmed. Not sure why they made this where it had to be trimmed off so much. At first I thought the top edge fit in lens body opening but that throws the filler body line off but who said it was going to be easy anyway ?

The last shot for now is the Cad. bucket with the tails inside but before all the back sheetmetal was removed for plug and depth clearence. One thing I forgot to mention. When you trace the lines to be cut out for the upper and lower part of Cad. buckets be sure to have tail light and bezel installed inside bucket. It's a tight fit and will spread bucket slightly when you place them inside bucket. If you leave the tails out and make your marks and install,,there may not be enough width to get Cad. tails inside bucket.

More later.
Last edited by Rebel on Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

Mr_Roboto
I sleep in my van

Post by Mr_Roboto »

Good start, definitely a lot of time and effort goes into good body work and body mods. Keep at it, sure they'll look awesome when you're done.

Jboy2
I sleep in my van

Post by Jboy2 »

Great Start Larry =D>

e7ats
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by e7ats »

NICE!!! \:D/
2003 AWD ASTRO Personal van

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

So those fillers finally showed up then.
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc

Topic author
Rebel
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Cad. Tails

Post by Rebel »

Yep,,they finally made it to the 96 mile marker. Slow trip,,,took about 4 weeks I think it was.
Hung in there with it yesterday and got one filler tacked in and ready to cut for the Cad. bucket. Will have some pics later. Can tell ya,,they need trimming trimming and more trimming to get a snug fit. Wasn't to bad,,just took it slow but wasn't exspecting to spend that much time getting and exact fit. Back on it this afternoon and will get a few pics.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

Now that you've officially come aboard Larry,how bout droppin Justice a PM and askin him to set you up with an account in the "How To" (H2) Forum,we could use a good write up in that forum on this very subject.

Topic author
Rebel

Cad. Tails

Post by Rebel »

Keith,,,yep, looks like I'm here to stay bud. Glad you'll have me and will get with Justice on the How 2.

Started working today around 2pm and stopped about 6pm. This first pic is after I tacked the filler in. No comments on the welding,,did get a couple of burn throughs but yea,,I would n't feel right without at least a couple. lol

This next pic is after marking and cutting out section for bucket to slide in to the desired depth. The right side is very narrow. In other words, there isn't a lot of metal left after cutting filler so be sure after area is marked to cut the righ side first. By cutting right side first, the left side will add a little strength to the right.

Next shot is after sliding bucket in. Think my buckets from S.D. weren't as deep as the pair Darren used. As you can see, they're almost flush with filler and not as much to cut off as Darren had. My tails will be frenched but not as deep as his.

Next I applied the filler and this is before using a cheese grader to get the high spots out. Thought about skipping this shot because it ain't pretty but for you guys who haven't done any body work yet, you need to see the ugly side of this so you won't get to discouraged.

Last very nervous shot is with Cad. tails placed inside buckets. Not to shabby for an old guy. lol Needless to say,,will look much better after final application of filler, block sanding and primer.
Will tell ya,, there was a point today where there could have been a van fire. This isn't easy for me. Lot's of things that can go wrong and you have to be very carefull not to get the bucket to hot because if there is any warping you may have trouble getting the tails and bezel inside bucket.

That's it for today,,we're outta here.
Last edited by Rebel on Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VIDEO

Jboy2
I sleep in my van

Post by Jboy2 »

Looks great dude =P~

Mr_Roboto
I sleep in my van

Post by Mr_Roboto »

I definitely like em better "flush" rather then deep, looks good one side to go.

Topic author
Rebel

Cad Tails

Post by Rebel »

Hey,,thanks guys. Thanks for reminding me there's another side to complete. #-o
Maybe it will go a little smoother although I didn't have any major issues with this one other than the very thin right edge of filler after cutting out center section for bucket.
Be back on it this afternoon.

VIDEO

astrozam

Post by astrozam »

You know Larry,when I see some of the stuff you've done to your van I feel like a complete underachiever LOL Nice work, keep those pics coming =D>

Topic author
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

LOL....What I need to do is get a life. lol Thanks for the words,,appreciate it.
Sent a PM to Justice as you suggested. Do I need to do anything else ?
Thanks again Keith.

VIDEO

trybe13
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by trybe13 »

Great work Larry! =D> =D>
90 Safari XT Hi Top
Lead guitarist for The Jericho Effect
Click the link to bang that head! http://www.ilike.com/artist/Trybe13

astrozam

Post by astrozam »

Rebel wrote: Sent a PM to Justice as you suggested. Do I need to do anything else ?
Thanks again Keith.
He'll set you up with an account in the H2 forum, but for now don't worry bout
it, you can transfer the pics over at another more convenient time,if you need help with it just drop me a line.