Route 66 in a $250 van.

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Route 66 in a $250 van.

Post by ihatemybike »

I've been dreaming about bicycling/driving the whole mother road since, oh forever. I grew up two blocks from an original alignment and have had an admiration for this road for as long as I can remember. As soon as my parents allowed I started cycling the section between Bloomington, IL and Pontiac, IL. Once I had my license I used it to drive to the BMX track in Springfield, IL and when I left for college I would often take it home from Chicago.

Lately my wife and I have been making efforts to do the things we keep talking about doing, so I've started planning my Route 66 trip. I've been looking at maps online and plugging what I find into Google Maps, always looking for the oldest alignment that I can find.

My Collection of Google Maps

Currently I'm looking to take a week off, boogie out to Santa Monica in two days, then spend seven days cruising the road back. Thinking in November, maybe leave the day after Thanksgiving to gain an extra day. Most likely flying solo as my wife won't have any vacation time left.

I've decided to use Grumpy to make the run. The van amuses me and I want to see just how far it can go. It saw New York and New Orleans over the course of a week last June, two days of abuse off roading in July that reduced it's fuel capacity by 2.5 gallons, and a couple weeks back it didn't complain doing almost 40 miles without a serpentine belt. Plus, I can sleep in the back. The van has a couple things that need fixed before the trip, but seems like it's mostly ready to go. I'll be carrying a bicycle as emergency transportation just in case though.

Anyone have words of wisdom for the areas I'll be passing through, suggestions of things not to miss on the way, or want to meet up enroute?
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Route 66 in a $250 van.

Post by mdmead »

Sounds like an interesting trip!

Once you start a journey like that, things will just fall into place and you will find plenty of interesting things.

Don't forget your camera and to post the pics here!
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

Lumpy
I finally get the smurf thing

Re: Route 66 in a $250 van.

Post by Lumpy »

ihatemybike wrote: ...Anyone have words of wisdom for the areas I'll be passing through, suggestions of things not to miss on the way, or want to meet up enroute?
Keep an eye out for that escaped convict and his cousin/fiancee.. :axe:

I've taken a lot of cross country trips by using US highways instead
of interstates. It's slower (fine with me) and more scenic. US 6, US 287,
US 60, nearly any of them are more enjoyable to me than the stock
I10/30/40/80 stuff.

Get your kicks :bounce:

Lumpy