Questions concerning water pump replacement

Radiator, thermostat, water pump, antifreeze, etc.

Topic author
astronut74
I sleep in my van

Questions concerning water pump replacement

Post by astronut74 »

So I was driving around the other day, and smelled coolant after I stopped. A quick look at the engine, and it appears that the gasket behind the water pump is leaking. I didn't see any fluid, just that familiar white dried up residue. Now, I'm fairly certain I would be able to change it out myself, but I'm a little hesitant because I live in an apartment and they don't want any work on vehicles done. Also, not so sure where to drop off used coolant... where does everyone drop there coolant off ?
So I thought about sending it to a shop, any thoughts about how much labor hours it would take? I figured instead of just replacing the gaskets might as well slap a new pump in there since the labor would be the same, as well as new hoses and a thermostat. My van hasn't seen any maintainence on the cooling system in the 6 years I've owned it, so I think it's well over due..
Steve O

94 2WD Astro EXT
179,000 miles and counting
Going from an 8 seater to a 4 seater

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Questions concerning water pump replacement

Post by MountainManJoe »

I think dexcool is safe to dump because it breaks down. It's OK to put it in the toilet because it gets treated, but putting it down the storm drain hurts the fishies. The green stuff I take to the nearest quick-lube shop (Mr. Lube up here). They also take your oils and filters.

Can you work on it outside on the side of the road?

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

It's an easy job to do, just takes time to get the shroud out and get to the water pump. For all that work, a shop should be able to do it in an hour or two. They are also going to charge you 10% to 20% more for the same parts you buy. If there is any way to do it yourself, it is worth it.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Kabey's Van
I sleep in my van

Post by Kabey's Van »

DON'T DUMP IT DOWN THE TOILET. Even if you have a sewage treatment plant in your community they only remove the solids and the rest gets dumped into the nearest river or ocean. All liquids go straight though any sewage treatment plant with the rest of the waste water.
Call your local fire department or municiple works department and they will be able to guide you to the proper dumping facilities.
I lived in a condo in Calgary for a little bit and they to had a policy of no wrenching on the property. So if I did have to do something I would park it out on the street in front of the building. I was off there property so there was nothing they could do about it.

Peter

ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by ihatemybike »

I did Green's water pump gaskets in a restaurant parking lot this past summer. Took a few hours.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

How did you make out?

I would keep the OEM pump if possible. Often the aftermarket ones are junk.

Topic author
astronut74
I sleep in my van

Post by astronut74 »

timelessbeing wrote:How did you make out?

I would keep the OEM pump if possible. Often the aftermarket ones are junk.
Well... I haven't... I'm contemplating doing it myself - just because I'm broke and don't want to pay a fortune in labor costs.
but as you mentioned with the aftermarket parts, you never know what you might get. I've been looking at the parts sold at autozone and advance auto, but honestly, I've never even heard of those brands. I know the shop I've taken my van to before only uses OEM parts, so that's a plus...

Really just trying to decide if I wan't to fork over the extra cash to a shop...

Anybody have the water pump bolts snap on them before when trying to remove the pump?
If I replace the pump, should I replace the bolts as well?
Steve O

94 2WD Astro EXT
179,000 miles and counting
Going from an 8 seater to a 4 seater

MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

I haven't removed an Astro water pump yet, but on my previous GM car it was no problem. I got one from the junkyard for $20 that was like new.

If you're worried about the bolts, soak them in penetrating oil for a little while. Then put a box wrench wrench on it, and tap it with a hammer until it comes loose. If it's not damaged, I wouldn't worry about reusing it. Clean it with a wire brush, put on a bit of grease so it goes in easy, and tighten it down properly with a torque wrench.

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

I just replaced my water pump today. After 21 years the shaft seal gave out.
It's like most things on these vans, a pain in the a**, but not complicated. An extra pair of hands will make things go faster if you can talk a bud into wrenching with you.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

kkamakasi
I am smitten with my van

Post by kkamakasi »

kings-x59 wrote:I just replaced my water pump today. After 21 years the shaft seal gave out.
It's like most things on these vans, a pain in the a**, but not complicated. An extra pair of hands will make things go faster if you can talk a bud into wrenching with you.
21YEARS!?!? :yikes: wow...

I was going to replace my water pump as a preventative maintenance measure (2003 Astro Cargo). I guess I'll just leave it.

CaptSquid

Post by CaptSquid »

So how much of a PITA is water pump replacement on these beasties?

Also, any feedback on a Bosch water pump?
Mike, Billings, MT, 'MERICA!
92 Safari SLE w/Z Motor (sold to a good home)
98 AWD Stro LS
93 Suburban Silverado 4x4

Look for the MISSING Alien in the Right Seat. AL, PHONE HOME!!!

ImageImage

1Gary

Post by 1Gary »

When I did mine I used some of the long bolts from a starter with the heads cut off and a slot cut in the end of the bolts.Screwed them into the W/P holes-slid the W/P gaskets on-then the W/P-then removed one top stud and put in a w/p bolt-then the other top one the same way-then the bottom w/p bolts on each side.The stud holds the gasket in place and makes threading the w/p bolts easier.
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

I also perform the tip Gary suggested. Makes the job easier.

I also use the same trick when installing differential covers. Less RTV mess that way.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86