Lift Shackle Bushing Install

FROM FIBERGLASS MONOLEAFS TO AIR BAGS, STOCK HEIGHT TO BODY SLAMMED, EVERYTHING EXCEPT LIFTS GO HERE.

Topic author
9dawgs
I sleep in my van

Lift Shackle Bushing Install

Post by 9dawgs »

Hi Guys, I finally got my OLV shackle busings from Gerald over at Overland Vans. With the store moving from the states to Canada you will have to plan way ahead. I started the order process on October 16th and finally got the remaining parts this weekend. It was really no fault to Gerald but the Canadian postal system seems to be very slow. It took 12 days for the first package to arrive and 15 for the second package. Anyhow, I'm not here to vent, I just wanted to show how I went about the install.

Parts Ordered - 1.5" OD Poly Bushings for upper shackle assembly and the stainless sleeves that run through them. Total purchase was $32 USD.

Liquid Wrench is your friend. Use it librally on all nuts you will be removing and let it soak in.

Remove the two nuts holding the lower anchor plate bracket.

Remove the two nuts holding the U-bolts.

Remove the lower shock nut and bolt.

Chock the front wheel of the side you are doing. Only do one side at a time unless you have access to a bumper jack.

Carefully jack up one side of the vehicle placing the jack at a secure point on the frame. I used a 2.5 ton floor jack with a 4x4 & 2x4 riser placed on the flat of the trailer hitch (the riser 4x4 is screwed to the 2x4 cross piece). The 2x4 cross piece is appx. 6" wide and the 4x4 post is appx. 8" tall. Use great caution if this is the way you have to do this. Jack slowly and adjust as needed to make sure the riser remains vertical. A spotter would be a great asset in this case.

Jack slowly until you are able to move the spring pack assembly back and forth by hand. This will ensure the spring tension is released on the shackle. Only raise the vehicle high enough to be able to do this. Then remove the nuts and bolts attaching the spring to the upper (attached to frame) and lower(attached to spring) shackle mount points.

When I pulled the shackle out this is what I found. The bushing on both sides had disentigrated.

This was the other side.

Here's what I pulled out. It was a chunky mess. I did a little research to see what type of grease is supposed to be used in Poly bushings as I wasn't too sure and this in my opinion was a premature failure. It seemed the synthetic grease was the preferred choice on most places I looked.

Here's what I used.

The stainless(?) sleeves I removed were in pretty good condition except for the corrosion I found on the right one. It was also a bit gnarly on one end where it rubbed on the frame so I replaced them both with the new ones since I had them.

After repacking the shackle with grease and installing the bushings and sleeves, this is the finished prodouct.

All that was left to do was install it in the reverse order and doing the other side. It took me about 3hrs total time which I thought was pretty good.

The ride is so much different now and the sag in the rear has been restored to like new :>) Hope this helps someone else out.
Jim<><

'99 Astro 4X2, (RIP) 4" Overland Lift, 31X10.50/15 BF Goodrich AT T/A KO,
Rancho RS5000 shocks, Rockford Fosgate RFX9000, Red Top Optima, K&N Filter

'98 Astro 4X2 (SOLD)

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Lift Shackle Bushing Install

Post by astroturf »

Another Great Write Up with Pix

Thanks Jim

Jim

lockdoc
I sleep in my van

Post by lockdoc »

How long have your shackles been in? Seems too soon for them to wear out like that. I'll have to check mine out. I don't think I would want to order the same ones that were in there.
Current:
01 AWD - Stock
98 AWD - Stock
Past:
93 4WD - 305 V8 - 5" lift - 31" tires
98 4WD DHC - 10" lift - 33" tires - Onboard air and Hydraulics - Snowplow
92 RWD - 350 V8 - lowered - 97 front clip
92 RWD - 350 V8 - converted to AWD - V6
91 AWD - 350 V8 - conversion van
94 RWD - 350 V8 - sons van
92 RWD - stock - sons van
93 RWD Shorty - project
89 RWD Shorty - parts van

Topic author
9dawgs
I sleep in my van

Post by 9dawgs »

lockdoc wrote:How long have your shackles been in? Seems too soon for them to wear out like that. I'll have to check mine out. I don't think I would want to order the same ones that were in there.
I put the lift kit in on May 2007 so just a little over 3 years. The problem was that I didn't have the correct diameter of the bushings so I didn't know where to look without pulling everything out and having the van sit until I could find a match-up. I posted on here a while back and got no replies when I asked if anyone knew the diameter of the shackle bushings. So I went to OLV. Even Gerald (new owner) didn't know and had to get the info from Dan (old owner). The ones he spoke to me about were poly so I just went with him. I needed to get things fixed before hunting season opens down here next week. If they go out again at least I know what to look for now. I would probably go with Energy Suspension next time. It was an easy enough install so if I have to do it again, I'll just do it. The only thing I changed with this install was the type of grease I used. I put the synthetic CRC above in there. The originals were "pre-packed" with whatever red grease OLVs used. Not sure if this was the cause of the failure but that's the only thing I could think of changing. Anyhow, we'll see how it goes.
Jim<><

'99 Astro 4X2, (RIP) 4" Overland Lift, 31X10.50/15 BF Goodrich AT T/A KO,
Rancho RS5000 shocks, Rockford Fosgate RFX9000, Red Top Optima, K&N Filter

'98 Astro 4X2 (SOLD)

lockdoc
I sleep in my van

Post by lockdoc »

Gotcha. Now I know who to call.
Current:
01 AWD - Stock
98 AWD - Stock