Mystery Leak

Topic author
Jennifer
I am smitten with my van

Mystery Leak

Post by Jennifer »

Hi, my name is Jennifer and I'm new on here. I just got my van last weekend and though I worked on many cars before this is my first Safari (1995 AWD) and after driving it 11 hours home from where I purchased it, it sprung a mystery leak in my driveway, and I am not sure what kind of fluid is leaking... I've never seen anything like it, it's watery without much scent, but is slightly oily and won't absorb into the driveway. I'm posting a picture of the leak on my driveway and of the line that is leaking. Hopefully one of you will know what it is. Thank you all very much!
Attachments
This is a picture of the leak.
This is a picture of the leak.
This is a picture of the puddle the leak made.
This is a picture of the puddle the leak made.
1995 GMC Safari AWD

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Mystery Leak

Post by MountainManJoe »

That would be coolant coming from your rear heater lines. See if you can find out if it's coming from the metal part or the rubber part.

You should top up your coolant reservoir so your engine doesn't overheat. Maybe just use water until you get the leak figured out.

Oh and welcome to the forum :)

MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

By the looks of it, the rubber hose is wet all the way up. The leak may be coming from where the clamp is. See if the rubber is degrading there..

Or the heater is leaking. You can remove the plastic cover off the heater behind your driver seat. Just pull and the clips will pop off. Inspect the pipes there.

Topic author
Jennifer
I am smitten with my van

Post by Jennifer »

Thanks guys... The leak is coming from the rubber hose, right where I circled... there is a small puncture/crack and you can watch it drip. It should be no problem swapping the hose out, I had just never seen a fluid filled hose run to the back before and wanted to know what is was so I would know what to drain before replacing it. It's definitely coolant... i put a bucket under it and just checked it and it's green. Thank you guys for explaining what it was to me, now it should be no problem to fix. The oil cooler lines are also leaking, so it looks like I'm going to have a fun hose day. :)
1995 GMC Safari AWD

MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

My oil cooler lines leak too, but not bad enough to do something about it hehe. Anyways it's a common problem and there's an excellent post (with photos) about how to repair it for about $5 here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4614

Maybe you can just extend the life of your leaking heater line by slicing off the damaged part for a quick fix.

T.Low
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by T.Low »

Welcome to ASV. Good work on the consult, TLessB.

My wife's name is Jennifer. Everyone calls her Jen except for our (ice) hockey team, they all call her The Jenerator. :supz:

Welcome.
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

Topic author
Jennifer
I am smitten with my van

Post by Jennifer »

Thanks again everybody! @timlessbeing I'm fixing it up to drive to Alaska, so I'm pretty much going over it and replacing anything that looks worn or sketch, so I'm going to go ahead and replace the whole line... if I was just going to beat around town in it I probably would have already just used duct tape (just kidding). @T.Low My fiance and family call me Jenn... I'm not sure why I put Jennifer as my user name other than the fact that I thought it would be easy to find in the forums. I'm so glad I joined this site.. you guys are great!
1995 GMC Safari AWD

MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

That's a long drive. Are you going to do anything to camperize interior?

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Welcome to the site, Jennifer. That hose is an easy fix. Because of their age I'd change both of them.
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

T.Low
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by T.Low »

Jennifer wrote:Thanks again everybody! @timlessbeing I'm fixing it up to drive to Alaska, so I'm pretty much going over it and replacing anything that looks worn or sketch,

I live 20 minutes south of the Canadian border, about 60 minutes south of Vancouver, 1.5 hr north of Seattle right off I-5.

If you happen to be travelling this route on your way to Alaska, we'll have to plan a VANcouver Vanners dinner and we'll send you off onto the next leg of your journey. :cheers:

Also, the Alaska Ferry leaves from Bellingham, about 10 minutes from my house. A lot of people take the ferry up to Alaska, then drive back, or vice versa. Just an idea.
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

I want to go to Alaska too! :bounce:

Topic author
Jennifer
I am smitten with my van

Post by Jennifer »

I plan on changing any hose that looks worn, as well as the idler arm, upper and lower ball joints, front and rear shocks, rotors, drums, pads, and shoes... and who knows what else when I get it lifted... it's got a long journey ahead.

@T.Low and timelessbeing: It seems like you guys live relatively close to each other... I've been to Bellingham many times... maybe we should all have a van party!
1995 GMC Safari AWD

MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

we should! the idea is rolling around in my noggin :rolleyes:

Topic author
Jennifer
I am smitten with my van

Post by Jennifer »

Plus my fiance is really nice... you guys would like him too. :)
1995 GMC Safari AWD

leadtrombone
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by leadtrombone »

Make sure you get the MOOGs on the idler arms. Thats what i was told when i got mine. And looking at the stock and the MOOGs when i put them on I am glad that i did.

Welcome and have fun getting ready for that trip. I envy you for it.. Sounds like fun.
1999 Safari SLE. Stock. Proud owner since May 2010. So far I love it..

P1050479 by leadtrombone, on Flickr

The old cars - my progression to here (most recent first)

1996 Honda Passport
1988 BMW 320i touring
1989 BMW 520
2005 Chrysler Sebring Convertible
2002 Dodge 1500 Quad Cab
1989 BMW 320i
1990 Toyota Tercel EZ
1991 Mitshubishi Mirage
1970 Mercedes Benz 250 Saloon