New member - New purchase of second van question

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
S_Ian_Howard
I am merely driving my van

New member - New purchase of second van question

Post by S_Ian_Howard »

Hello,

I've had a 97 Safari 2wd bought used eight or nine years ago. Love it!

We're on the verge of buying a newer Astro and are trying to decide.
We're toggling between an '03 Astro AWD 52k miles, and an '05 AWD 61k miles.

Of course I know the vans are basically the same as the 03's, 04's and 05's are all of the same generation of tech upgrades modernity. But, looking at the common problems and recalls by google-ing around the 03's do come up with a number of more issues the the 05's. At the same time an 03 with 51k miles is very low miles (unless it's all city). But yet even on a minor level an '05 is likely to have the issues worked out even of models only one or two years before.

For those of you with '03 and or '05 Astro experience, on a practical level (on a drivers seat and repair shop level), and putting all the over-talk about how they're EXACTLY EXACTLY the same, do you have any reason to prefer/recommend 05 over 03 or vice-versa?

Thanks,
Ian

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: New member - New purchase of second van question

Post by Smiliesafari »

Welcome to the site Ian. I would go for the 05 just because it's the newest. I would hope most of the issues were solved. However, I have no experience with the AWD. My Safari is a 96 with 212000 miles. 2wd. The only major rebuilds so far are a swap to rack and pinion steering and a complete custom rear differential. It's been a good vehicle.
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

GnarliSafari
I sleep in my van

Post by GnarliSafari »

yeah 10,000 less miles isnt that big of a difference to make it worth getting the 03 just for the mileage. 12,000 miles a year aint like they pounded the thing either as far asey the 05 goes. i would really look over the entirety of each as they each have reasonable miles and one isnt too much older/newer than the other so for me i would buy the one that seemed to be most well taken care of and not even worry about the year or mileage. regardless of that info if its gonna have a problem its gonna have a problem, you can only avoid so much or take so many precautions when owning a vehicle. with 197,000 miles i should have gone through at least one tranny by now as well as multiple other major things yet i really havent, and then there is the poor guy with 30,000 miles who has replaced his engine twice, gone through 8 trannies, 22 fuel pumps, eats brakes weekly etc...sometimes its just destined.
99 SLT Safari AWD, G80/GT4 rear, Burgundy, 196,000 and counting (strictly AMSOIL) flowmaster 40series muffler no more cat, K&N Kone Filter, roll pan, 255/60/15 rubbers mounted to 15x8.5 inch American Racing Tailgunner wheels, billet grille, CB Radio, Alpine Deck, Shag carpet, the list goes on....
03 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, LB7 Duramax Diesel, 5 speed Allison Tranny, Crew Cab Long Bed, no muffler or cat, 4 inch turbo back and side piped. not too many other mods yet, also addicted to AMSOIL.

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by MountainManJoe »

I would look for a limited slip rear (RPO code G80). Then I would look at the condition of the body (paint, rust etc.). Then I would look at the trim level and the options it came with. Look underneath the vehicle and under the hood for overall condition.

Topic author
S_Ian_Howard

Post by S_Ian_Howard »

Thanks all.
Timeless, bring me up to speed a bit..."limited slip rear (RPO code G80)?"
IAN

GnarliSafari
I sleep in my van

Post by GnarliSafari »

look in the passenger door jam for a sticker with a bunch of letters and numbers, those are your RPO's. if you see G80 anywhere it means it has a limited slip/posi rear end if it says GT4 right before or after it it means you have 3.73 gearing which in my opinion is the best feeling ratio. you can look up GMs RPOs online and print them out if you would like as each one of those 3 digit codes tells you your options providing nothings been changed.
99 SLT Safari AWD, G80/GT4 rear, Burgundy, 196,000 and counting (strictly AMSOIL) flowmaster 40series muffler no more cat, K&N Kone Filter, roll pan, 255/60/15 rubbers mounted to 15x8.5 inch American Racing Tailgunner wheels, billet grille, CB Radio, Alpine Deck, Shag carpet, the list goes on....
03 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, LB7 Duramax Diesel, 5 speed Allison Tranny, Crew Cab Long Bed, no muffler or cat, 4 inch turbo back and side piped. not too many other mods yet, also addicted to AMSOIL.

Topic author
S_Ian_Howard

Post by S_Ian_Howard »

Thanks 'narli.
Thanksgiving today, I think the place is closed. I'll check on this tomorrow. Glad for the feedback though.

Still wouldn't mind a bit more back and forth on '03 ('04) and '05 differences/distinctions. But I'm guessing the diff's are few and far between, as evidenced by the limited replying.

Enjoy your meals everyone.
Ian

Topic author
S_Ian_Howard

Post by S_Ian_Howard »

If anyone can share any significant differences between the 2003, 2004 and 2005 Astro's that would help a lot. Each shows very well and seems trouble free, and are the same basic package. I know that these years are basically the same van but has there been real time experience out there that says one performs or has troubles more than another.

Negotiating today on them today so any steering to or from would be really appreciated.

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

I have ZERO personally experience with those years but my mechanic said to me he has 2 2004's that are always in his shop for electrical problems. Most of the time i've been there i have seen the silver one in there but i'm not there very often could just be a coincidence. Like GnarliSafari if one of them have the G80/3.73 combo i'd go with that one otherwise i'd go with the 2005
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone

Topic author
S_Ian_Howard

Post by S_Ian_Howard »

Heading out at about 3pm to "deal" on this.
thanks for the input

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by MountainManJoe »

You may want to check out this site:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/probl ... search.cfm

It will tell you about year-specific flaws and defects.

loopie
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by loopie »

So...did you buy one SIH?

I too would place the 3:73 option at the top of my list.
If there was any way for you to get a "feel" for which one was taken care of just a littler better than the other...that matters too.

Moreforles
I sleep in my van

Post by Moreforles »

no information, the newest I've owned is my current 2000, but hoping to work my way up to new model in a couple years.... especially 03-06 (four wheel disc brakes 6 lug 16in rims...)

but I agree, depending on money difference and what you can afford.... go for the newest one, 10,000 miles is not enough difference to be concerned with, except if the insurance price for the newer one might be a bit higher
2000 Astro, passenger van. Converted into a cargo van, used for Carpet cleaning (10 lbs of crap, in a 5 lb bag)

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by doyoulikeithere »

S_Ian_Howard wrote:Heading out at about 3pm to "deal" on this.
thanks for the input
So, what deals didja make?
or didnt make.
Got pix of your new van?
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

Topic author
S_Ian_Howard

Post by S_Ian_Howard »

Hey guys, sorry for the delay.
I just received the van two hours ago.

It's the '05 awd astro.
I had this one shipped in from another state and am bringing it to a local Chevrolet dealer in the morning to check out. Dealer paying for shipping out, if I decline it I pay for the return trip.

The timing couldn't have been better. The delivery came as a blizzard settled in here in Cleveland. I switched plates from my '97 Safari 2wd and what a difference.

I'll try to get pics up of both vans soon but the weather won't make for pretty pics.
Ian