Prototype for the new Astro

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Prototype for the new Astro

Post by ihatemybike »

Looks pretty good to me. Roughly the same size as the 1985-2005 vans, available with manual or automatic transmissions, AWD and lifted with lockable differentials, and a diesel engine that gets 24 city/36 hwy/31 combined mpg.

The bad, engine faces the wrong way, primarily drives the wrong wheels, and it's actually a Volkswagen Transporter Type 5 that while available in Mexico will mostly likely never be sold north of the border.

Read more about it here.
http://www.carshowp.com/2011-volkswagen ... r-rockton/
and here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen ... orter_(T5)

Kinda makes me want to visit Mexico just for a test drive.

Hey GM, take the hint. Give us new vans. Come next summer I can actually afford to buy new.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

T.Low

Re: Prototype for the new Astro

Post by T.Low »

This one was linked on Expo a yr or so ago. Sure would have been cool to buy a lifted ZR2 High Rider AstroLander right off the showroom floor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5ln_uZ5 ... re=related
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

1Gary
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by 1Gary »

It's not unheard of for car makers to release vehicles to other countries that don't have U.S. standards like crash tests,emissions,fuel mileage.I can think of two cases,one was a crew cab dually step side S10 pick-up power by a 5.7 fuel injected engine released to South America only because it didn't meet emissions standards that I saw in one of the truck magazines yrs ago and the other one was a diesel Astro built by a Japan outfitter with GM new van stickers on the window having a GM manual printed which was posted by a company rep in another forum that imported them to South America.That O/P never got back to posting pictures,but given the details he had,I thought it was very believable.

Aaron-cool links.I would think if GM had continued to build Astro's,at some point they would have been produced them as FWD's with some sort of sideways 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder.It was kind of the trend of the day back then.
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

Very sweet! Independant suspension with portal axles, skid plates, and a slider to boot.

Topic author
ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

I found this video last night while looking for Transporter AWD videos. Appears to be an up-fitter and not done by VW.

Also, it appears that the only thing keeping it out of the US is the chicken tax, but they could do what Ford does to import the Transit Connect.
Aaron

1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

T.Low wrote:This one was linked on Expo a yr or so ago. Sure would have been cool to buy a lifted ZR2 High Rider AstroLander right off the showroom floor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5ln_uZ5 ... re=related
Cool but:

Not digging the wheels. Just waiting to be beat on something...

Tires too narrow, and given the slider situation, doesn't look like many options...

But sure beats a Chrysler mini-van pretending to be German...
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

mdmead wrote: Tires too narrow
Narrow tires give you better contact pressure. They also cut through snow and soupy mud.
Less rolling resistance too. Not to mention wider tires would fling everything all over the side of the vehicle and mirrors.

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

1Gary wrote:It's not unheard of for car makers to release vehicles to other countries that don't have U.S. standards like crash tests,emissions,fuel mileage.I can think of two cases,one was a crew cab dually step side S10 pick-up power by a 5.7 fuel injected engine released to South America only because it didn't meet emissions standards that I saw in one of the truck magazines yrs ago
well, I don't actually believe that the S10 dually 5.7L version was built and released anywhere. other than the prototype. there was a 4cyl version that was, along with a non-dually version. typical domestic manufacturers baiting us with a carrot and it'll never see the light of day here. some bean counter in a $1000 suit in some high up office somewhere and drives a car most of us will never be able to afford and has no concept of reality makes the decisions on that, I'm sure.
couple things of note: the rear axle is actually in the middle of the bed, the bed is usable, as opposed to the sorry excuse of a 4dr S10 they actually made.

nowadays, with the fuel prices, they might actually sell. that 2.2 ecotech, a small diesel, 4 doors, a usable bed auto or manual trans. anyone remember the reg cab toyota's from the 90's that were a cab and dually chassis? i'm positive there still must be several driving around in salt free states. there's a guy up here that has one with a 12' cube on the back and he uses it for his roofing or pluming business... it's an awesome little machine.. good on gas and function-able they were used for small rv's too. again GM missed the boat.

here's the one gary mentioned: I would have LOVED one but, it was never to be. it actually even toured around car shows WITH the GM booth, so it was very suggestive that they'd be making one. (by the way, if anyone wants this larger to read the story/specs, let me know i'll try to find the mag and scan it again)

ImageImage

edit: haha.. i did a google after this post to see if anyone has a better pic of the truck, what do i find as the first result. a post by gary on the truckinweb from mid-07 looking for this article and details. there ya go gary
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

timelessbeing wrote:
mdmead wrote: Tires too narrow
Narrow tires give you better contact pressure. They also cut through snow and soupy mud.
Less rolling resistance too. Not to mention wider tires would fling everything all over the side of the vehicle and mirrors.

Yup, they cut through the snow & mud... assuming there is a bottom to be reached! Problem is where I drive, the snow is usually a lot deeper than the ground clearance I have! I need floatation.

Fling everything all over the side of the vehicle and mirrors? Uh, I thought this was normal! :muhaha: :muhaha:
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

leadtrombone
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by leadtrombone »

I was getting excited about a new astro (or what ever they would call it).

Then as i was looking at the pic my mind jogs and i say.. "hey that looks an awful lot like a VW van... wait a sec"

Sure nuff. Glad to see i can still recognize things... \:D/
1999 Safari SLE. Stock. Proud owner since May 2010. So far I love it..

P1050479 by leadtrombone, on Flickr

The old cars - my progression to here (most recent first)

1996 Honda Passport
1988 BMW 320i touring
1989 BMW 520
2005 Chrysler Sebring Convertible
2002 Dodge 1500 Quad Cab
1989 BMW 320i
1990 Toyota Tercel EZ
1991 Mitshubishi Mirage
1970 Mercedes Benz 250 Saloon

Topic author
ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

I'm just surprised how close in size and shape it is to our vans.
Aaron

AstroWyo
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by AstroWyo »

I have some VW busses and have always liked the Synchro vans. I like what guys are doing to them when they're putting Subaru engines in them and even lifting them and I've seen some very nice ones (last one I saw was a lifted '87 with a WRX motor- $35k). BUT, they're expensive, not as safe in a collision as our vans, underpowered, and can be finicky. Of course, if you've got the money to spend, it might be nice. Or, try this:

http://www.allterrainwarriors.com.au

I'm sure that new VW is very nice but it starts at 35K Euro.

My VWs are on their way out. The Chevy van is much more sensible to me. I can do a lot more with it for the money I save. Anyone can go out and get a good AWD Astro/Safari and ad a lift for less than 6K. You get plenty of hp, airbags, cheaper parts. A Sychro mesh bus will cost you at least $18K.

I rented a Chevy Traverse last week and really liked it. I found myself wondering how it'd be with a lift, less of a center console, removable back seats, and a GTRV top made to fit. GM should do it.

1Gary

Post by 1Gary »

crash wrote:
1Gary wrote:It's not unheard of for car makers to release vehicles to other countries that don't have U.S. standards like crash tests,emissions,fuel mileage.I can think of two cases,one was a crew cab dually step side S10 pick-up power by a 5.7 fuel injected engine released to South America only because it didn't meet emissions standards that I saw in one of the truck magazines yrs ago
well, I don't actually believe that the S10 dually 5.7L version was built and released anywhere. other than the prototype. there was a 4cyl version that was, along with a non-dually version. typical domestic manufacturers baiting us with a carrot and it'll never see the light of day here. some bean counter in a $1000 suit in some high up office somewhere and drives a car most of us will never be able to afford and has no concept of reality makes the decisions on that, I'm sure.
couple things of note: the rear axle is actually in the middle of the bed, the bed is usable, as opposed to the sorry excuse of a 4dr S10 they actually made.

nowadays, with the fuel prices, they might actually sell. that 2.2 ecotech, a small diesel, 4 doors, a usable bed auto or manual trans. anyone remember the reg cab toyota's from the 90's that were a cab and dually chassis? i'm positive there still must be several driving around in salt free states. there's a guy up here that has one with a 12' cube on the back and he uses it for his roofing or pluming business... it's an awesome little machine.. good on gas and function-able they were used for small rv's too. again GM missed the boat.

here's the one gary mentioned: I would have LOVED one but, it was never to be. it actually even toured around car shows WITH the GM booth, so it was very suggestive that they'd be making one. (by the way, if anyone wants this larger to read the story/specs, let me know i'll try to find the mag and scan it again)

ImageImage

edit: haha.. i did a google after this post to see if anyone has a better pic of the truck, what do i find as the first result. a post by gary on the truckinweb from mid-07 looking for this article and details. there ya go gary
Wow Rob.You are very good at finding stuff.
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

leadtrombone
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by leadtrombone »

Driving around today and this thread got stuck in my head.

I noticed that here in europe, the size of the astro/safari is quite popular.

As we see the similarity between the current VW vans. There is also a similar size one from Opel, (Reanault has the same van rebadged), Fiat, and Mercedes. I think there are others.. but i am drawing a blank..

All the vans mentioned are quite popular as people carriers as well as cargo vans. And all are available in Van and pickup styles (except the opel/renault i think), since pickup trucks arent exactly normal around here.

But that goes back to the point, why no more astro????? Seems like a good all around vehicle. And with a few updates/redesign a smaller than full size van shouldn't be too hard to sell. Especially if you address the fuel consumption.
Image The mercedes viano
ImageOpel Vivaro (also renault Traffic)
ImageFiat ducatto Bit bigger (9Pax)

i don't get it.. thats for sure..
1999 Safari SLE. Stock. Proud owner since May 2010. So far I love it..

P1050479 by leadtrombone, on Flickr

The old cars - my progression to here (most recent first)

1996 Honda Passport
1988 BMW 320i touring
1989 BMW 520
2005 Chrysler Sebring Convertible
2002 Dodge 1500 Quad Cab
1989 BMW 320i
1990 Toyota Tercel EZ
1991 Mitshubishi Mirage
1970 Mercedes Benz 250 Saloon

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

1Gary wrote:Wow Rob.You are very good at finding stuff.
Psst! not really Gary, I have a bunch of minitruck mags that I haven't parted with from the 80's & 90's. I've had that scan posted on my photobucket for a couple of years.
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*