New guy in Idaho

Introduce yourself
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
Inky
I am merely driving my van

New guy in Idaho

Post by Inky »

Hello from Idaho! I own a 98 2wd Astro, mostly used for camping and towing a motorcycle trailer in the summer, and commuting in the winter. Bought it in 03 with 82,000 miles and just passed 150,000 a few weeks ago. It has been a great vehicle, and is in good shape. I have made only a few repairs in the last eight years, fuel pump (2x), front wheel bearings, brakes, shocks, battery, basic maintenance stuff. I've been working on cars since I was a teenager 20+ years ago, not professionally or anything, out of necessity mostly but sometimes just for fun. My van has always been a classy looking ride, a street machine that is kept tidy and nice. Well, its getting older and there are a few things I need to take care of and would like to upgrade on it, and being a DIY kind of guy on a budget I'll be doing those things myself. Nice to find a group of people who love thier vans as much as I do! With a little help I hope to keep my van on the road for a long time. Thanks, Mike

97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Re: New guy in Idaho

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

Welcome aboard Mike!

Like you, I checked in here a little over 2 years ago for some repair knowledge.

I wasn't too thrilled with my van back then, I just bought it to get to work. With the knowledge I gained right here on this site from the hundreds of kind experienced people, I fixed up my van and now I LOVE it! Turns heads wherever I go, and I feel like I'm king of the road.

You'll get all you're looking for and so much more!

:cheers:
1997 SAFARI 2WD CARGO
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." Nikola Tesla

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Welcome, Mike. Glad you found us. Got questions? Ask away. Someone here has the answer. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

Welcome to ASV!
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

loopie
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by loopie »

Cheers :canuk:

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Welcome Mike.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
Inky

Post by Inky »

Thanks for the welcome guys! I haven't checked back in since monday, I broke my leg. I've been on Norco since monday night and have been kinda loopy. I was out riding my motorcycle, a KLR 650, in the dirt. I went to flip a left handed cookie to turn around and just as I lifted up my pivot leg (left leg) and slid onto the seat to ride out the slide the rear found "unexpected traction". With all momentum sliding to the right, the rear stopped sliding and the front started coming up. The whole mess just sort of lifted up and landed on the right side, on my leg. The bike landed on the back of my leg, toes pointing down. I heard a distinct pop as it landed. That was the end of the larger lower leg bone right where it meets the ankle. If you think a KLR is a heavy bike try picking it up with one broken leg! After straightening out the front wheel I rode about 40 minutes home, without using the rear brake or putting the right foot down. I had surgery yesterday to put some screws in there to hold it together. As for the bike, broken fender, bent fairing bracket, bent handlebar, torn seat. Any money I had planned to put into the van has kinda dissappeared in the last few days. Life has a way of turning plans upside down. I'm down but definitely not out! I'll still be here, planning what I want to do with the van when the finances get caught up.

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Ouch! Good luck on a speedy recovery and getting back to modding your van.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

I think you mean your Tibia. Ouch, that's harsh.