Engine stall on highway - couldn't restart.

PLACE ANY ISSUES RELATED TO YOUR VAN NOT STARTING OR STARTING HARD IN HERE.

Topic author
chartman
I am merely driving my van

Engine stall on highway - couldn't restart.

Post by chartman »

Driving home early ...about 2am, the vans tranny slipped then bam an explosion under the van!! I thought something in the trans blew because i have tranny issues after the last rebuild....the truck has zero power the AWD light popped on then the vans engine cut out and died. After getting towed home in minus 20 deg.. the Computer says it was a general misfire not listing the cyl, and had some other codes i will fill in "This spot" later.
Truck wont start and sounds like its very sick. Doesn't even hesitate but i smell fuel.

Pulled the dog house, replaced the rotor and cap (its become routine)...didn't fix it. In the dark, I can see arcing from two wires to the body. I would think the engine would still start with only two arcs. Crappy part is every year it seems since 2001 i've have to replace the ignition stuff in the astro.
I figured to fix the problem last winter id installed a MSD 6a ignition box mounted in the cab (Part#6420), MSD blaster coil (Part#8207), MSD wires (Part#32169), and NGK iridium plugs (Part#TR55IX). )>) FML
2001 Astro AWD w/cast iron headers/ Vortec 350 / 5" lift / 8" Rear lift (AirBags)/ 31" Bridgstone Dualer AT REVOS on Wagon Wheels / 3500HD calipers / 250 Amp Alt / someone stole my huge system !!
http://www.ancc.cc/chris/astro

ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Re: Engine stall on highway - couldn't restart.

Post by ihatemybike »

Hey neighbor!

General consensus is to only use ACDelco ignition stuff. Gets really hot in the there and the GM stuff just seems to work best.

Ever used Seafoam or GM Fuel System Treatment Plus in the van?
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

i'm pretty sure any arching is bad i suggest you insulate those wires before trying anything else these van seem to have a problem with cap/rotors other then ACDelco in a year or so you'll have to replace them because of arching inside the cap (i think that was the cause)
could you describe the "sounds like it is very sick" sound a little better and those other codes will probably help
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone

Topic author
chartman

Post by chartman »

Ever used Seafoam or GM Fuel System Treatment Plus in the van?
No this v8 engine (my 2nd) has about 7k on it and the fuel pump / injectors ect were all changed at the same time.
ACDELCO
I've given up on ACDELCO & NAPA & now MSD.
Now im trying dedicated Vortec performance parts. The wires are awesome! Look 100% better so far. Not sure if the Distributor cap is vented. I'll have to check.
http://www.performancedistributors.com/vortec.htm
ould you describe the "sounds like it is very sick"
The starter cranks away but the engine doesn't sound close to catching. It will shudder like it needs fuel every so often but does nothing. It sounds sick. Air cleaner is fine...fuel seems fine.

The Error codes are below.
2001 Astro AWD w/cast iron headers/ Vortec 350 / 5" lift / 8" Rear lift (AirBags)/ 31" Bridgstone Dualer AT REVOS on Wagon Wheels / 3500HD calipers / 250 Amp Alt / someone stole my huge system !!
http://www.ancc.cc/chris/astro

Kabey's Van
I sleep in my van

Post by Kabey's Van »

This sounds familiar, in that I had an MSD 6a running a bbc when the ignition box itself failed.
The resulting explosion, destroyed a faily new set of Cherry Bombs and bent a valve.
If you had a intake manifold explosion, check for a vacuum leak at the intake manifold.

Peter