Google ads for the ASV site.

Questions, comments, criticisms, issues, suggestions, praise etc related to this Forum
(Please do not post van questions)

Topic author
justice
I sleep in my van

Google ads for the ASV site.

Post by justice »

In order to try to make the ASV site self sufficient, i have applied for the site to participate in the Google Adsense program.

If we are approved then you will see a small google ad at the top of the forum pages. They should display ads that are somewhat relative to the content of the site. Nobody is under any obligation to click on them but if you see one that interests you, please do.

I will try to keep them as unobtrusive as possible and I hope that they will do well enough that we don't have to ask for donations to keep the site running.

Right now, we still have enough $$ from the donations to keep the site going for another year, but we won't need that for a while yet.

I also think that if the site does well enough, i might like to convert over to vBulletin (which cost $$ as opposed to PphBB which is free) seeing as there are some changes I would like to make to the forums but PHPBB does not have easy support for and they are already packaged in vBulletin.

But, thats all stuff for future conversations. feel free to comment and stuff. :)
I have a ban hammer and I ain't fraid to use it!

Current - 2004 Astro Cargo

Former
95 Safari (money pit - sold)
93 Astro Cargo (totaled)
85 Astro - (Bought for parts and scrapped)
92 Astro Conversion (sold)
87 Safari Shorty (sold)

tbhager94
I sleep in my van

Post by tbhager94 »

from what i know about the google ad's, you need alot of ppl clicking the ad's to make any thing off them.
2000 chev blazer 4x4
If its got tits or wheels, its gonna give you problems!
im sure we all know the #1 junk yard rule if it fits in your pocket its free.

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

I guess I don't mind the google ads, but please make this site's "speed issue" a priority. It's dog-slow at 2pm PST today.
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

zook94
I get chills without my van.

Post by zook94 »

Google ads suck, period. This site won't use a whole lot of bandwidth, and there are a bunch of good inexpensive hosts. Phpbb is easy to modify, if you know what you are doing, and there are hacks for absolutely everything you could want to modify. Don't bother spending money on vbulletin, you won't get any better support.
http://www.misfitoffroad.com

'93 EXT 2wd 5.0 (for now)

Topic author
justice
I sleep in my van

Post by justice »

mdmead wrote:I guess I don't mind the google ads, but please make this site's "speed issue" a priority. It's dog-slow at 2pm PST today.
I reported that to the host today so they can look at the logs and try to find the problem. It was killin me 3pm here

Former
93 Astro Cargo (totaled)
87 Safari Shorty (sold)

Rileysowner
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by Rileysowner »

I have no problem with the google ads. If they help pay for things, that would be great.
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

Matrixx
I am smitten with my van

Post by Matrixx »

Hi justice
Great site thanks. The speed issue could be a network caching problem (over loaded) The front page is fast but when you get into the topics it's very slow and logging in is slow as well, but here's the clincher, when you have logged in, and move around and post to a thread it seems to get a bit faster after doing this. This leads me to believe it's a network caching issue. Is their any thing that needs to be cleaned on a regular bases like E-Mail Cache or something like that here at the site? Just an Off the wall thought. Otherwise it's very well done justice, thanks.
96 Safari-500,000 Kilometers-92 Octane (Chevron)-Original Motor-Transmission-Cat-EGR-Starter-O2 Sensors Except 1-AirCared-Synthetic Blend in Engine and Transmission (Castrol Syntec for both) 3.73 Limited Slip rear end (Full Synthetic/Royal Purple 75/90w)-Michelin Latitudes (P215/75-15)&Munro Sensa-Trac shocks.

Water Boy
I sleep in my van

Post by Water Boy »

My son spend a lot of time at this site
http://www.thirdgen.org/

It has Google ads on the left.

Also, when I went there at 11:44pm there were, I quote ...
"currently 93 users and 390 guests online."
That is a LOT of people.

Not sure what database they are using but is has to be BIG and FAST.
Maybe migrate ASV to that program for all of the future growth that is sure to happen.
I was told getting my beauty sleep was a waste of time.

1990 Astro (Z motor) mostly original @ 343,584 miles (552,944.8488960001 Canadian) (03/2008). Bad startup puff. Starting to spray for skeeters. Gone 06/07/08.
1993 Astro with a bad W motor. Parked next to a chicken coop in Talking Rock GA
I'm 'tween Canton and Holly Springs (North NorthWest of Atlanta GA)
I haul bottled water everyday- between 500 and 2500 pounds (226.796185 and 1,133.980925 Canadian) INSIDE the van.

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

I'm for the google ads.. every little bit helps.

plus they aren't real intrusive.

if it hasn't been done already.. the donation thread could also be refreshed :whistle:
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

I'm for the google ads.. every little bit helps.

plus they aren't real intrusive.

if it hasn't been done already.. the donation thread could also be refreshed, i'm due for another donation :whistle:
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*

Sublimewind
I am smitten with my van

Post by Sublimewind »

Well, i love this site... i gotta get that out...

I also don't really know/claim/understand the differences in the different bullitin types (vbullitin/phpBB...ect)

My Subaru (http://www.NASIOC.com) site uses vbulletin and we are over 150k members strong and there are VERY little issues with that site... i don't know if it is the host (they have moved hosts a few time with minimal loss) or the bulletin programs themselves, but rarely is it slow and there are MANY people browsing/posting all the time at the same time.... many times it's a darn race to see who can get the firsts posts in... #-o

If i had to vote, i would vote vbulletin... it just seems more stable from all the YEARS i've been on NASIOC
Any fool can go fast in a straight line....
94' Astro AWD EXT W
Other rides:
03' Pontiac Vibe
00' Subaru Impreza 2.5Rs w/2.0 WRX swap
99' Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
The GF...

You can't go wrong with Ohms Law

Topic author
justice
I sleep in my van

Post by justice »

well, for the record ASV was approved yesterday for the Google Adsense program. I'm going through the particulars and hope to roll something out next week.

I also frequent a site that is very busy and runs on vBulletin. And I really like to configurability of what they can do with vBulletin. Of course it should be a more powerful solution than Ikonboard or phpBB, since you actually PAY for vBulletin and the other 2 are free.

And then, the site speed problems that we are having here do not really have anything to do with the forum software that we are running. Its directly related to other users on the host eating up the server resources. The host is deleting accounts of the users that are hammering the sqlservers and are also preparing to upgrade the SQL servers for better performance. It is really effecting 2 of the SQL servers the host has and we happen to be using one of those. At this time they are not able to give an ET as to when the upgrade will be in place.

For now, I know they are ery aware ofthe issue and are working to resolve it. And except for my boo boo yesterday. The ASV site stays running.

Former
93 Astro Cargo (totaled)
87 Safari Shorty (sold)

Water Boy
I sleep in my van

Post by Water Boy »

alriteeden...

Thanks for the update.
I was told getting my beauty sleep was a waste of time.

1990 Astro (Z motor) mostly original @ 343,584 miles (552,944.8488960001 Canadian) (03/2008). Bad startup puff. Starting to spray for skeeters. Gone 06/07/08.
1993 Astro with a bad W motor. Parked next to a chicken coop in Talking Rock GA
I'm 'tween Canton and Holly Springs (North NorthWest of Atlanta GA)
I haul bottled water everyday- between 500 and 2500 pounds (226.796185 and 1,133.980925 Canadian) INSIDE the van.