adding universal keyless entry

USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY ELECTRICAL QUESTIONS SUCH AS WIRE COLOR CODES, BLOWING FUSES OR WIRING SHORTS.

Topic author
willisworms
I get chills without my van.

adding universal keyless entry

Post by willisworms »

My van (99) came with power locks but no keyless entry. I wanted the keyless, so I bought a universal unit off of E-Bay. It cost me 98cents plus 12 dollars shipping. I was not expecting much from this unit,but when it showed up I was actually quite impressed by the quality for the price. Hooking it up was super simple! I needed to wire in two relays as per the instructions that came with the unit. I was not concerned with unlocking the doors and the hatch separately, one button fully unlocked/ one button fully locked was fine with me. I did not want to cut any wires short, so i connected all the wires and taped them up into one big mess that can be strapped up behind the dash. The two van wires that you need to hook up to, are located below the hood release. One is blue and the other is white. Attach the whole unit up to constant power and presto, you are a modern suit wearing gentleman that can not be bothered with uncivilized keys. One last thing I need to do is figure out where to connect to the parking lights to get them to flash.Its cold out and my van locks, so for now thats how it will stay. I will update later when I find out the best place to connect the parking lights.
Attachments
key2 big.jpg
key1 big.jpg

blacknome
I sleep in my van

Re: adding universal keyless entry

Post by blacknome »

hmmm, that's pretty cool and you can't beat the price !!
I am gathering information to adapt keyless to my 84 Monte ( it doesn't have power locks now ).

Topic author
willisworms
I get chills without my van.

Re: adding universal keyless entry

Post by willisworms »

Well, the keyless entry has been in and working for a month now. The system works pretty good but does have a flaw. The universal unit has a memory in it, If you hit the lock button it knows it is locked and will do nothing if you hit the lock button again.This is only a problem if you, or someone uses the interior door lock switches or key. Then the van is un-locked and thinks its locked, If you hit the lock button on the remote it will do nothing and your van is still unlocked. A quick unlock/ lock cycle on your remote will solve this problem. All of this is not even that bad because of the intensely loud sound of these vans locking/ unlocking, Its like a full prison lockdown! I can hear mine no problem from 30 ft away. Also once I figure out the parking light flash, I can hear/see that the van is locked or unlocked. All in all, a great way to add keyless on the cheap, and I am super happy!