Introduce yourself
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
Drumbum
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by Drumbum »

Hello all,

I bought my first Astro in new in 1991, silver shorty, drove it to 2003 with 150,000 miles. It had the primer problems and the paint looked bad, but the killer was the front end was worn out and it did not seem like a good idea to out that much cash in a van that had leprosy. So I sold it and got a new Black Sierra 1500 extended, which I still have, it has only 60K miles.
In the mean time my wife needed a new car in 1999, cause I took the Astro, so I bought her a brand new Cadet Blue/Silver Clad Astro LS. She is still driving that , so she has about 22 years driving Astros. This one now has 136,000 and runs good. Every time I take my wife out to drive a new Suburban, she just wants me to keep fixing her Astro. Guess I should have bought another in 2005 so dhe could go for 30 years, ha ha. Now that my sons are older I have been doing some maintenance on the van with them to give them some skills. Brakes, Belt, Tune Up, Bearings, Front Sway bar (not fun), idlers, ties. I think I will pay for the Balljoints to be done. Any way this site has given me some great info doing some of this work myself so I thought I would join up. Just did the plugs and the sticky was a great help, think I should add my experience to this one.

Anyway I have 3 boys now and I plan on doing as much maintenance on the Astro with them as I can so we can learn together. The tuneup is over next will be fluids, also the frin of my fenders are peeling paint and showing surface rust. I live near salty chicago and have looked at others in the area and they seem to have the asme problem. I have not found a thread on this , so maybe this is an opportunity! My wife's new motto is get me to 300K!

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: New Member

Post by mdmead »

Welcome to ASV!
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

badassastro
I finally get the smurf thing

Re: New Member

Post by badassastro »

Welcome
85 pro street Astro, parted & scrapped
98 pro street Astro, 33x22 rear tires, all aluminum 335 hp LS1 motor
PRO STREET 4 LIFE