Jezebei (the van) nearly got me arrested

USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY ELECTRICAL QUESTIONS SUCH AS WIRE COLOR CODES, BLOWING FUSES OR WIRING SHORTS.

Topic author
bentwanderer
I am merely driving my van

Jezebei (the van) nearly got me arrested

Post by bentwanderer »

Jezebel was playing a practical joke on me the other night. I was sleeping at a rest area in S.Carolina, when i heard something bang the right rear of the van. I then heard voices and assumed the guy let his door smack Jezy as he was getting out.
After a few moments he did it again. After about the 6th or 7th time; (i am fully awake by now with no chance of going back to sleep) so i get a bit miffed at this inconsiderate SOB and climb out of the van to have a pointed conversation with him about assaulting Jezy.
As i get out i realize this guy is on the other side of his vehicle (still an inconsiderate SOB for talking so loud) and could not have just banged the van. Then boom i hear it again and realize it is my rear barn door power door lock ; locking and unlocking itself....How do i fix that. I had several times prior called myself everything but a white man for leaving it unlocked at very inopportune times. As well as accusing myself of needing serious "old timers" disease evaluation when i was sure i had locked it only to find it unlocked. :-k ](*,)

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Jezebei (the van) nearly got me arrested

Post by astroturf »

A wiring inspection would be first on my list, Followed up with a switch inspection.

Perhaps the door jam wiring loom has some abraded insulation.

Good Luck, Jim

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by MountainManJoe »

Strange, there should be no power going there at all. Was the remote in your pocket? Maybe the other guy's clicker was on the same frequency? This happened on my dad's Econoline and I think it was a fried Body Control Module (BCM), which your Astro also has.

To start troubleshooting, you'll need to be able to reliably reproduce the problem, which could be tricky.

HPbyStan
I sleep in my van

Post by HPbyStan »

You can unlock the doors in my latest Astro by kicking the rear bumper from the left end. I'd forgotten about that until reading this thread. #-o
'04 White AWD Astro cargo
'00 Astro / El Camino
'61 BSA Super Rocket
'71 BSA B50 engine in a '67 C25 250 chassis
Impossible is just a degree of difficulty....

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

HPbyStan wrote:You can unlock the doors in my latest Astro by kicking the rear bumper from the left end.
That is handy when you come out of the auto parts store with your arms full of parts and pieces! :muhaha:
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
bentwanderer

Post by bentwanderer »

timelessbeing wrote:Strange, there should be no power going there at all. Was the remote in your pocket? Maybe the other guy's clicker was on the same frequency? This happened on my dad's Econoline and I think it was a fried Body Control Module (BCM), which your Astro also has.

To start troubleshooting, you'll need to be able to reliably reproduce the problem, which could be tricky.
I'm sorry, i may have misspoke. When i said remote, i was thinking remote because the only way to unlock the rear doors is with the button on the drivers door. Or the key of course. I have since found that i have pretty much ruined all the switches due to the knee brace i frequently have to wear on my left knee. I am 6'3" 227 and with the bad knees i am constantly moving my legs. It stays pressed against the main controller on the drivers door. I am in the process of moving all the controls to the overhead console and shaving the handle off that door to give more leg/knee room. Thanks for all the imput.

MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

No need to be sorry. You actually didn't mention a remote. That was me guessing. Glad you figured it out :)