Rear Quarter Window Swap

ANYTHING FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT TO REPLACING A DASH PANEL

Topic author
krsowles
I finally get the smurf thing

Rear Quarter Window Swap

Post by krsowles »

I have a 91 astro awd that I would like to swap in factory-tinted windows. I have done the easy ones and just have the two rear quarter windows left. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Any advice appreciated, thanks. Kelly
Sometimes, I realize that I'm clueless...Man, I hate those moments!
"S.S. Dark HoMutt"

1999 Chevy Astro AWD
1991 Chevy Astro AWD(retired)

bowtie262
I am merely driving my van

Re: Rear Quarter Window Swap

Post by bowtie262 »

Good question.

I would like to know how to remove the rear quarter window glass without breaking it !

I'd guess the rubber seal is gently levered away from the metalwork (from inside the van) with a couple of blunt flat screwdrivers,,,,,,,,
'CRACK'.

Anyone know the best way ????
Attachments
rear quarter window.jpg
Still Vannin' after all this Time !

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by doyoulikeithere »

I've often wanted to do the same with my sealed back doors, so I could put in some pop outs I have, just never gotarountuit yet.
X3, Good question, I dont know either.
I have always thought an awesome mod would be to make those back windows pop out at the back, like a extcab pickup window.
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

I've swapped out the the slider to a flip out and it's not bad at all just be sure you have the rubber gasket from a flip out to install after you pull glass and seal from old glass. As far as swapping out the quarter windows for tinted,,,it would be much easier to tint those than to swap them out for tinted.

The quater and rear windows are secured with a black tar material. To remove the quater and rear glass you'll need to cut the outside plastic material that looks like it holds the glas in,,it does not The black adhesive holds it in. After cutting the black plastic trim around glass so that it is not covering any part of the glass surface,,you're ready to try and slide a small wires through the adhesive so you have one end inside the van and one outside. You'll need someone inside so you both can work the wire around the glass to seperate it from the adhesive. This will work on the any of the glass that has the black trim around it but it's a job. Not really difficult but takes some time and best not get in a rush.
Still best to tint the quarters and not remove them or at least that's what my decision was when I swapped in flip outs on the rear and slider.
Good luck
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

Topic author
krsowles
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by krsowles »

Thanks Rebel for the advice. I kinda thought that was the case, I've done several jeep hard top windows like that. Common sense would dictate all day long to just tint the suckers. Unfortunately, common sense does not run deep in me, have you seen the paint job? I'm leaving that project on the back burner for later but if the snow gets deep enough I make no promises! Thanks again
Sometimes, I realize that I'm clueless...Man, I hate those moments!
"S.S. Dark HoMutt"

1999 Chevy Astro AWD
1991 Chevy Astro AWD(retired)

bowtie262

Post by bowtie262 »

Yea, Thanks, Rebel, for that info.
I assumed the black rubbery plastic surround (visible from outside) was actually the part that held the window in place. Totally wrong then !
Getting that outer trim off without damage might be quite a task.
When (if) I get around to doing this job I'll post a couple of photos.
It sounds like a job that needs time and a good temper and shouldn't be rushed.

Thanks again.
Attachments
rear quarter window2.jpg
Still Vannin' after all this Time !

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

You are very welcome.
If you're going to put flip outs on the rear, you won't need that trim but will need the flip out trim from another van. As far as saving the trim on the quarters,,not going to happen.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words