engine noise

Topic author
chinnesse
I am smitten with my van

engine noise

Post by chinnesse »

when i start van in the morning i get a whining nois after a drive and it heats up it stops making noise . Changed tenshion pulley and belt cant realt tell where the noise is comming from.
Let hit the beach

SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

Chinnesse, my 89 Astro developed a whining noise from the engine also. It turned out to be the bearing in the idler pulley. Autozone offered a replacement idler assembly for around $20, which isn't bad, but I removed the idler assembly from the engine and then removed the idler pulley itself from the idler arm. I found that the bearing was bad that is pressed into the pulley. Fortunately, the bearing part number was clearly visible on the bearing. It was a simple matter to get a new bearing--I think it cost around $5--and replace the bad one. If you find it's the idler bearing and want to replace it, take note that the pulley bolt that fastens the pulley to the arm is left hand threaded, or at least it is on my 89. I used a socket and my bench vise to press in the new bearing.
Rob Shaver
1989 Astro 305 with an MSD 6A ignition and a dash-mounted MSD timing control, a 4160 Holley 465 cfm four barrel carb, and an HEI distributor.
Moog 625 front springs and Energy Suspension poly bushings. Rear OEM sway bar. Edelbrock shocks.

Topic author
chinnesse
I am smitten with my van

did that

Post by chinnesse »

Thank for reply Safari Bob did that already and even swaped out pulley by it self changed belt to its driving me craze cant tell where noise is comming from. Tring to see in anybody has had this problem before .
1998 Safari 117000 ](*,)
Let hit the beach

v8famvan
I sleep in my van

Post by v8famvan »

If you take the belt off & run the engine (for a min) does the noise still occur?
Try pinpointing the source of the noise with a stethescope or a section of rubber hose to your ear.
James from B.C.
1992 Safari - R.I.P.
GM Grand Master Techncian

SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

I followed what James posted above and found the bad tensioner on my van.
When the belt was off an all was quiet while running the engine, I knew I was on to it. But I didn't think to check the tensioner at first and was wondering what the noise could possibly be after checking the other pulleys.
Rob Shaver
1989 Astro 305 with an MSD 6A ignition and a dash-mounted MSD timing control, a 4160 Holley 465 cfm four barrel carb, and an HEI distributor.
Moog 625 front springs and Energy Suspension poly bushings. Rear OEM sway bar. Edelbrock shocks.

Topic author
chinnesse
I am smitten with my van

did the belt thing no noise

Post by chinnesse »

No noise with out belt changed belt and tenshion pully and idler pulley tried to track doun with thetescope just cant pin point it . the wierd thing after it warms up it stops making noise thinking might be ?
Let hit the beach

Water Boy
I sleep in my van

Post by Water Boy »

Another tool is a long bladed screwdriver to test for sound.

Are you using a stock s-belt or the cut s-belt (Gatorback type)?
I was told getting my beauty sleep was a waste of time.

1990 Astro (Z motor) mostly original @ 343,584 miles (552,944.8488960001 Canadian) (03/2008). Bad startup puff. Starting to spray for skeeters. Gone 06/07/08.
1993 Astro with a bad W motor. Parked next to a chicken coop in Talking Rock GA
I'm 'tween Canton and Holly Springs (North NorthWest of Atlanta GA)
I haul bottled water everyday- between 500 and 2500 pounds (226.796185 and 1,133.980925 Canadian) INSIDE the van.

Topic author
chinnesse
I am smitten with my van

stocb s belt

Post by chinnesse »

stock
Let hit the beach

Water Boy
I sleep in my van

Post by Water Boy »

As others have mentioned, it could be the tensioner and/or pulley.

Noises are not all that hard to track down. It takes patience and the ability to focus at a section of the engine and LISTEN to where you are looking.

When I switched to the Gatorback type of belt, it eliminated ALL belt noise, no matter if it is hot/cold/damp/wet/dry.

Disclaimer: I am not referring to listening to rearend noises. Rearend noises are very difficult to locate the source depending on the number of guys in the area. It does not matter how many women are in the area since they do not emit rearend noises.
I was told getting my beauty sleep was a waste of time.

1990 Astro (Z motor) mostly original @ 343,584 miles (552,944.8488960001 Canadian) (03/2008). Bad startup puff. Starting to spray for skeeters. Gone 06/07/08.
1993 Astro with a bad W motor. Parked next to a chicken coop in Talking Rock GA
I'm 'tween Canton and Holly Springs (North NorthWest of Atlanta GA)
I haul bottled water everyday- between 500 and 2500 pounds (226.796185 and 1,133.980925 Canadian) INSIDE the van.

Topic author
chinnesse
I am smitten with my van

well found

Post by chinnesse »

=D> found out that the belt sold by pepboys and advanced auto was causing the noise bought a belt at a local dealer of parts and went away.
Let hit the beach

trybe13
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by trybe13 »

Water Boy wrote:
Disclaimer: I am not referring to listening to rearend noises. Rearend noises are very difficult to locate the source depending on the number of guys in the area. It does not matter how many women are in the area since they do not emit rearend noises.
:muhaha: :muhaha: :muhaha: :muhaha:

Good to hear that you got the problem solved Chinnesse. =D>
90 Safari XT Hi Top
Lead guitarist for The Jericho Effect
Click the link to bang that head! http://www.ilike.com/artist/Trybe13

Topic author
chinnesse
I am smitten with my van

Thanks

Post by chinnesse »

=D> =D>
Let hit the beach