NEW GROUND and/or + Wiring

IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS OR ISSUES WITH ANYTHING RELATED TO OBD-1 AND OBD-2, SECURITY, AUDIO AND VIDEO SYSTEMS, PLACE THEM HERE. USE THIS FORUM FOR SES LIGHTS, RPO CODES, FACTORY OPTIONS ETC.

Topic author
tripplec
I am smitten with my van

NEW GROUND and/or + Wiring

Post by tripplec »

I have read that these as well as other vehicles benefit from addtional or replacement ground runs and some are replacing adding a 12V + run to the battery.

I have looked at my 96 and ground from the Alternator is not easy. If I pull that big long bolt (bottom left from the front view) the alternator may drop down and takes a big lug to go over. I could add a run from their to the battery post and body as this help low voltage and maybe charging issues. Battery gets about 14V max and a tad higher in the real cold weather. I watch that sucker with my scanguage!

As for positive, tapping to the alternator output is near imposible due to accessibility. I was thinking of going from the battery post to the 12V stud on the main fuse distribution block front. This my not be fused etc and might help with better voltage for everything.

Has anyone done any of this. I can be the first looking into it.
Astro AWD LT 1996
315,000km,
rear leaf, tranny cooler, Hercules HP 4000 235P-70/15
CLASS III hitch
Markham, ON, Canada

violent b
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by violent b »

I'll be doing the ground upgrade and possibly upgrading the power wire. I haven't looked to see how bad it will be on my 95 Astro but it shouldn't be too different then yours.
maybe I'll attempt this project this weekend, along with doing the brakes and changing the tranny fluid. I'll take some pics. I hope it doesn't rain.
The Midget and Monkey madman!

trybe13
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by trybe13 »

What you guys are talking about is commonly referred to as "The Big 3".
I did it and WOW, what a difference. My system always runs at 14 volts, and that's with everything on! After market stereo, 1000 watt amp, dvd monitor, Playstaion 2, aftermarket fog and headlights, and the ac!!
You can't go wrong by making this improvement to your electrical system, just make sure you do it right, or it could turn out to be disastrous for you, ie; electrical fire.
Look here for further info:

http://www.astrosafari.com/cgi-bin/ikon ... 3;hl=big+3
Good luck, and keep us updated!
90 Safari XT Hi Top
Lead guitarist for The Jericho Effect
Click the link to bang that head! http://www.ilike.com/artist/Trybe13

Topic author
tripplec
I am smitten with my van

Great, Hope I did not start something

Post by tripplec »

The links to the pic's are good. One is a car and the other an earlier model. Getting at the positive is not easy with is facing back. I'll focus on the ground first and do those two and see what happens. That stud is short and soft. Got to be careful not to twist it off!!! You'll have words and no boost in voltage don't you know.
Astro AWD LT 1996
315,000km,
rear leaf, tranny cooler, Hercules HP 4000 235P-70/15
CLASS III hitch
Markham, ON, Canada

Water Boy
I sleep in my van

Post by Water Boy »

I did the Big 2-/2 on my 90. I will have to dig up the postings to share. It was real easy for me.

Later........
I was told getting my beauty sleep was a waste of time.

1990 Astro (Z motor) mostly original @ 343,584 miles (552,944.8488960001 Canadian) (03/2008). Bad startup puff. Starting to spray for skeeters. Gone 06/07/08.
1993 Astro with a bad W motor. Parked next to a chicken coop in Talking Rock GA
I'm 'tween Canton and Holly Springs (North NorthWest of Atlanta GA)
I haul bottled water everyday- between 500 and 2500 pounds (226.796185 and 1,133.980925 Canadian) INSIDE the van.